ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the Head Coaches in your conference

A year ago they’d have ranked him at the bottom. 🤣
i don’t think much of the rest of the coaches in the SEC. I’m high on musselman right now. we’ll see what he does. Pearl is the only guy i’d accept over calipari at the moment.

Even in Cals down years he was still averaging like 27 wins a season and an s16.

i just hâte his recruiting strategy and the one and done pitch. you shouldn’t need to do that to get players to the top program in the sport

Last edited:
Reactions: ExitFlagger
i don’t think must of the rest of the coaches in the SEC. I’m high on musselman right now. we’ll see what he does. Pearl is the only guy i’d accept over calipari at the moment.

Even in Cals down years he was still averaging like 27 wins a season and an s16.

i just hâte his recruiting strategy and the one and done pitch. you shouldn’t need to do that to get players to the top program in the sport
It's all about free agents now. One and dones aren't as much of a priority anymore.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Put the top half of coaches listed ITT at KY and KY would still be at or near the top of the SEC year in and out.

Calipari just happens to be the coach. Has nothing to do with his coaching abilities, it's just that KY is a powerhouse program and it recruits itself.

Take away Cal's UK stint and he's still the most accomplished coach on the list lmao. Took UMass and Memphis to final fours.

Titles says it all- for Big Ten, only going to do top 13 since MD has an interim head coach (Turge is gone!!!)

1. Izzo
  2. Painter
  3. Greg Gard
  4. Chris Holtmann
  5. Brad Underwood
  6. Howard
  7. Fran McCaffery
  8. Steve Pikiell
  9. Chris Collins
  10. Mike Woodson
  11. Micah Shrewsberry
  12. Ben Johnson
  13. Hoiberg (success at Iowa State yes, but has been awful at Nebraska)
1. Izzo
2. Painter
3. Underwood
4. Gard
5. Holtmann
6. Howard
7. Pikiell
8. McCaffery
9. Woodson
10. Collins
11. Shrewsberry (expect him to move up)
12. Johnson
13. Hoiberg

Reactions: Noahtogo24
1. Izzo
2. Painter
3. Underwood
4. Gard
5. Holtmann
6. Howard
7. Pikiell
8. McCaffery
9. Woodson
10. Collins
11. Shrewsberry (expect him to move up)
12. Johnson
13. Hoiberg
I'd put Shrewsberry in front of Woodson right now. It's a lot more impressive to be 6-9 with Penn State's roster than 7-8 with IU's. Plus, Shrews' team has actually improved thru the year.

And according to KenPom, the Nits have played the 3rd toughest conference schedule. Iu has played the 13th toughest.

I'd put Shrewsberry in front of Woodson right now. It's a lot more impressive to be 6-9 with Penn State's roster than 7-8 with IU's. Plus, Shrews' team has actually improved thru the year.

And according to KenPom, the Nits have played the 3rd toughest conference schedule. Iu has played the 13th toughest.
Indiana has had a much better season overall. That counts for something. PSU has played a tougher schedule, but they have some bad losses that Indiana does not - 193 Massachusettes by 15 and a 6 point loss to 104 Minnesota. Indiana's worst loss is to Penn State by 3, and they returned 3 weeks later and clobbered them by 17.

Indiana has had a much better season overall. That counts for something. PSU has played a tougher schedule, but they have some bad losses that Indiana does not - 193 Massachusettes by 15 and a 6 point loss to 104 Nebraska. Indiana's worst loss is to Penn State by 3, and they returned 3 weeks later and clobbered them by 17.
Yeah, that’s why I also have Woodson ahead of PSU’s head coach .

Indiana has had a much better season overall. That counts for something. PSU has played a tougher schedule, but they have some bad losses that Indiana does not - 193 Massachusettes by 15 and a 6 point loss to 104 Minnesota. Indiana's worst loss is to Penn State by 3, and they returned 3 weeks later and clobbered them by 17.
Woodson also inherited a returning 1st team all B1G player.

The UMass loss was Shrews' 2nd ever as a head coach. Woody has been coaching a long time.

Woodson also inherited a returning 1st team all B1G player.

The UMass loss was Shrews' 2nd ever as a head coach. Woody has been coaching a long time.
Shrew's inexperience is a weakness. Woody is currently a better coach. Will he stay better? We'll see.

Shrew's inexperience is a weakness. Woody is currently a better coach. Will he stay better? We'll see.
Personal preference. If I gave each of them the same roster and 2 weeks to get them ready, I’d prefer Shrews in a best of 7 series.

1 - Tommy Lloyd (Arizona)
2 - Dana Altman (Oregon)
3 - Mick Cronin (UCLA)
4 - Andy Enfield (USC)
5 - Tad Boyle (Colorado)
6 - Kyle Smith (Washington State)
7 - Wayne Tinkle (Oregon State)
8 - Jerod Haase (Stanford)
9 - Mike Hopkins (Washington)
10 - Bobby Hurley (Arizona State)
11 - Craig Smith (Utah)
12 - Mark Fox (California)

4-6 are very close IMO

Last edited:
2 - Dana Altman (Oregon)
3 - Mick Cronin (UCLA)
4 - Andy Enfield (USC)
5 - Tad Boyle (Colorado)
11 - Craig Smith (Utah)

4-6 were very close IMO

I had no idea Mark Fox was coaching California now. Wow. they really couldn’t do better?

I had no idea Mark Fox was coaching California now. Wow. they really couldn’t do better?

They were in a really bad spot when Fox took over. You just don't see much investment in Cal athletics. I would have taken a chance on an unproven young guy, however.

Reactions: Montana81
2 - Dana Altman (Oregon)
3 - Mick Cronin (UCLA)
4 - Andy Enfield (USC)
5 - Tad Boyle (Colorado)
11 - Craig Smith (Utah)

4-6 were very close IMO
What happened to Oregon State this season and can they turn it around next year??

Reactions: duckboy33
What happened to Oregon State this season and can they turn it around next year??

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that Oregon State has been as bad as they've been. The crazy thing is, Oregon State has been here before. They made the tournament in 15-16 and followed it up with a 5 win season. Given the state of college basketball, a quick turnaround is always possible. I would bet on a more respectable season from Oregon State next year.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that Oregon State has been as bad as they've been. The crazy thing is, Oregon State has been here before. They made the tournament in 15-16 and followed it up with a 5 win season. Given the state of college basketball, a quick turnaround is always possible. I would bet on a more respectable season from Oregon State next year.
That is true about a quick turnaround always being possible- look at Iowa State- won what 3 games last season, and should make the tourney this year.

Any word on Maryland's short list for their new coach?
Honestly- no clue, yet. Hearing Willard's name floating around- don't want him IMO.

Cooley or Enfield, would be nice. Enfield did play his college ball in Bmore.

Mid-major wise, Dennis Gates is an interesting name.

Tier 1
Self

Tier 2
Huggins
Drew

Tier 3
Weber
Beard

Tier 4
Dixon
Adams

Tier 5
Moser
Boynton
Otzelberger

n00bz have potential, but too early to give them the benefit over guys that have won over a long period of time.

1. Cal
2. Pearl
3. Musselman
4. Oates
5. Wade
6. Barnes
7. Williams
8. Martin
9. Howland
10. Davis
11. White
12. Crean
13. Martin

14. Stackhouse

I was ranking based on how I perceive their coaching ability. If it were based on accomplishments as a HC, Adams would be at the bottom.

Weber’s a tough one to place. He hasn’t had a ton of success since that great Illinois team, but he consistently seems to do more than expected. This year, for example, they lost basically everybody from an awful team yet they’re on the bubble. He gets a lot out of his talent and they’re usually fundamentally sound. He just doesn’t get talent. And when he does start to build something solid, the top players transfer.

they do have two league titles and an elite 8 with him so it’s been a good run, but they’re so up and down with weber - they’re either a big 12 contender or in dead last. Frank martin was a better fit for Kstate tho. But weber appeases their older and money base better I’m sure.

1 John Calipari
2 Bruce Pearl
3 Eric Musselman
4 Rick Barnes
5 Nate Oates
6 Will Wade
7 Buzz Williams
8 Ben Howland
9 Mike White
10 Frank Martin
11 Tom Crean
12 Cuonzo Martin
13 Kermit Davis
14 Jerry Stackhouse
Well I think this list needs to be adjusted. Stack house is looking like the real
deal. Frank Martin still has a job somehow.

Anyone want a re do?
I think I nailed it honestly especially with my first and last choices. Adams won AP Coach of the year for the Big 12. Beard managed to lead a team predicted to be Top 5 talent to a considerably lower ranking once again proving Texas always does less with more.

ADVERTISEMENT