ADVERTISEMENT

Question About Refs . . .

Again, what others? Whose life was messed up and how? I absolutely know nothing about people having their life wrecked over 'whistle blowing' at UNC.

If you are going to keep saying this you need to provide some context. I think we know why you aren't though. My guess is you just ignore it.

Cat, save face and stop. Not a good look homie.

Okay, I will dig into it once you tell me prove the media personnel who I quoted have an ax to grind with UNC (Your claim). Before you say again that you're not interested in it, let me say that I really couldn't care less about UNC. I care that UK keeps getting shafted by John Higgins.

I think you care about UNC a great deal according to the way you post. That is a hell of a copout there though. Congrats. You are trying to use a qualifier to excuse your lying. Probably not the first time it has been done.

Again, blaming someone else for your team losing is pretty weak. You do you though. You have company with some other UK fans for sure.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Okay, I will dig into it once you tell me prove the media personnel who I quoted have an ax to grind with UNC (Your claim). Before you say you're not interested in it, let me say that I really couldn't care less about UNC. I care that UK keeps getting shafted by John Higgins.
So you’re going to “dig” into something you claimed as fact?

Oh, so you just need an answer? No, that isn't what happened. I guess that is settled.
Since you're answering questions, can you tell us why you think Dan Wolken and Jay Williams hate UNC?

Since you're answering questions, can you tell us why you think Dan Wolken and Jay Williams hate UNC?

I mean, if you have to ask why Jay Williams would be biased I think you aren't thinking things through. Wolken was all in an hammering UNC over the academic stuff. He ranted about it long after it was over. Sorry, you don't get to be wrong and keep whining about it without basically being the equivalent of a message board poster. You lose all credibility with me. I know he picks against UNC most of the time, which is ok. Him taking Providence over us is perfectly ok for instance. However, acting all petty because you didn't get your way and get to see UNC punished shows your colors a bit. I'm not giving anyone a pass for that. Again, I like him fine though. However, he clearly isn't a fan of the Heels. That's also ok. Just hard to accept using him as very valid the way you used it.

Your turn. I bet you puss out though.

John Higgins - MOP for any team playing against UK

2011 Semifinal
uconn-flop.gif

2014 Semifinal
shot-clock.gif

Then of course, the debacle last year
foul-3.gif
2014 Semi-final: Wasn't his call. So I'd say that's why he didn't call it

Seems you UK fellas forget there are 2 other officials on the floor.

All three equally awful calls. How did this dude make it to being a ref at this level?
So for a guy who's officiated probably 1,000+ Div 1 games, 3 calls define his officiating?

Ok.

No, I never took part in any of that stuff. I'm glad it happened to him though after all the crooked officiating he's given UK over the years. I hope he never calls another UK game, for reasons that have been posted ITT. Maybe you guys will get lucky and he will call a UNC game in the tourney. Probably would have beaten Wofford with him.
Glad that someone's life was done this way---over a god damn basketball game, or two?

Jesus....Really?

You can’t defend those calls. They’re beyond bad.
I'm not. But you cannot define an officials entire career on three calls, either. If these calls didn't involve UK, I doubt your feelings are the same.

As for the calls? You do understand there are three officials----right? And that each official has what is called a primary coverage area(PCA's)? In other words, officials officiate areas---not the entire floor. So as for the shot clock situation vs Wisconsin. That's NOT Higgins' call. He is NOTR responsible for the shot clock in that situation. But hey, its more fun to blame him, right?

The no call vs UNC; Fox drive. again, a play out of Higgins PCA,. Not his primary call. But again....Easier to blame him.

You guys seem to forget there are two other officials on the floor as well. But hey, that doesn't support your agenda. So why bother factoring that in, huh?

UK hoops fans are like bama football fans. If you don’t help their team, they basically want you dead.

The whole state needs a psychotherapist.

No he didn’t. Your looney fan base went overboard and you know it. Trying to mess up someone’s business/life over a game is just straight up wrong. Sounds like you contributed to the drama he went through.
I agree with you on this. What those people did was just plain wrong, and I have stated that many times. If they had written or called the NCAA about it, bombard them with calls and protests, then fine, but you never, ever go after a man on a personal level, or his business, that is just wrong.

Reactions: tw3301
Again, what others? Whose life was messed up and how? I absolutely know nothing about people having their life wrecked over 'whistle blowing' at UNC.

If you are going to keep saying this you need to provide some context. I think we know why you aren't though. My guess is you just ignore it.
Mary Willingham. She received death threats and all type of crap. You never heard or read about that? Talk about selective ignorance, sheesh.

I'm not. But you cannot define an officials entire career on three calls, either. If these calls didn't involve UK, I doubt your feelings are the same.

As for the calls? You do understand there are three officials----right? And that each official has what is called a primary coverage area(PCA's)? In other words, officials officiate areas---not the entire floor. So as for the shot clock situation vs Wisconsin. That's NOT Higgins' call. He is NOTR responsible for the shot clock in that situation. But hey, its more fun to blame him, right?

The no call vs UNC; Fox drive. again, a play out of Higgins PCA,. Not his primary call. But again....Easier to blame him.

You guys seem to forget there are two other officials on the floor as well. But hey, that doesn't support your agenda. So why bother factoring that in, huh?
Then why is it you see refs run all the way across the floor to make a call, when another ref is standing 3 feet away and saw nothing? You are trying very hard here, but you are digging the hole deeper and deeper. If what you say is true, then you should never, ever see a situation like I just described. I have seen refs from outside the foul line, make a foul call underneath the goal, when a ref was standing right there and saw nothing, yet some magical way that outside ref saw that foul thru 5/6 big bodies, and 10/12 sets of arms.. Amazing powers some of those guys have.

You do understand there is a common theme of one official being present during these games. You don’t have to be a genius to see he’s been pretty awful. But Borden gonna Borden

Last edited:
Mary Willingham. She received death threats and all type of crap. You never heard or read about that? Talk about selective ignorance, sheesh.

But you guys have a reputation of not letting stuff go, like you think it’s gonna change the out come. You guys show your true colors each and every time when something doesn’t go your way. Lastly it’s hilarious when you say you are yanking our chain when it’s you about to pop a blood vessel. I mean we won the title, a 3 star sent you home and no sanctions. What can we possibly be upset about?

But you guys have a reputation of not letting stuff go, like you think it’s gonna change the out come.
You're right, what happened with Higgins didn't change the outcome of his UK games, but it did something. He hasn't reffed another UK game since, so did it change the bigger outcome? There has still been some complaining about reffing, sure, but not on the level of those gifs.

I can't help but wonder why he hasn't done another UK game? Scared to? Ordered not to? Coincidence? If his calls had no suspicion around them, then why would he stop reffing our games? His calls are on video . . . which should support his final judgement, and that should be the end of it, and he'd be free to ref around the country stress free.

I'm not arguing any of it with you, but it does make one wonder.

Last edited:
You're right, what happened with Higgins didn't change the outcome of his UK games, but it did something. He hasn't reffed another UK game since, so did it change the bigger outcome? There has still been some complaining about reffing, sure, but not on the level of those gifs.

I can't help but wonder why he hasn't done another UK game? Scared to? Ordered not to? Coincidence? If his calls had no suspicion around them, then why would he stop reffing our games? His calls are on video . . . which should support his final judgement, and that should be the end of it, and he'd be free to ref around the country stress free.

The pending lawsuit maybe?

The pending lawsuit maybe?
Could be . . . but if his calls were absolutely correct, with video support to back it, that should be enough. If the calls were without a doubt sound, there shouldn't be any outrage, therefor no lawsuit. I don't recall a fanbase being so incensed to take such action (at least without researching it). I feel its because he feels unsafe. Can't say I blame him.

A few death threats didn't seem to hurt her. I would assume 'all type of crap' is just your way of adding on things that don't actually exist. She ended up writing a book, taking a new lover (the UNC professor who hates athletics, and is open about this before someone says something stupid) and getting a lot of dumb people to believe her lies. I know that last one hits particularly close for some of you guys but there is no other way to say it. She ended up better off afterwards than she was before.

A few death threats didn't seem to hurt her. I would assume 'all type of crap' is just your way of adding on things that don't actually exist. She ended up writing a book, taking a new lover (the UNC professor who hates athletics, and is open about this before someone says something stupid) and getting a lot of dumb people to believe her lies. I know that last one hits particularly close for some of you guys but there is no other way to say it. She ended up better off afterwards than she was before.
Don’t forget $350,000.00

Hasn’t he only reffed 5 games involving Kentucky in his entire career? There’s a UK guy that tracks that sort of thing. If it’s only been 5 games ever over his career then it makes that he hasn’t worked one of their games since last year.

Could be . . . but if his calls were absolutely correct, with video support to back it, that should be enough. If the calls were without a doubt sound, there shouldn't be any outrage, therefor no lawsuit. I don't recall a fanbase being so incensed to take such action (at least without researching it). I feel its because he feels unsafe. Can't say I blame him.
I don’t know enough about it to have an opinion. I’ve just heard there’s a lawsuit & Cal is named in it. Not sure how true that is but if it is, no way the ncaa would assign him to a UK game.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Hasn’t he only reffed 5 games involving Kentucky in his entire career? There’s a UK guy that tracks that sort of thing. If it’s only been 5 games ever over his career then it makes that he hasn’t worked one of their games since last year.
RollLaughOf course there’s a UK guy that tracks the refs that work UK games. Classic

Reactions: KYtotheCore

Yeah, very little of what they say makes much sense. I thought it was a few more than that but not a ton. The losses they have taken have been against teams they should have lose to or were even with. It would take someone rational to understand this though. It is impossible to feel like you should never lose a game and are always cheated if you admit that you just lost a game. It is like those golfers I play with who think they get all the bad breaks when they just hit two trees and had their ball end up in the middle of the fairway.

Yeah, very little of what they say makes much sense. I thought it was a few more than that but not a ton. The losses they have taken have been against teams they should have lose to or were even with. It would take someone rational to understand this though. It is impossible to feel like you should never lose a game and are always cheated if you admit that you just lost a game. It is like those golfers I play with who think they get all the bad breaks when they just hit two trees and had their ball end up in the middle of the fairway.
I remember breaking it down once. I think it was 2 national champions, a national runner up, a Final Four team and like a 33 win team early in the tournament. Something like that. I’m not sure any of them were considered massive upsets except for maybe 2015 but that Wisconsin team was legit.

Possibly. I don't follow it all real closely, just with some passing interest.

So this justifies threatening someone’s life? That is pathetic and I am stunned that a good poster as yourself would go that far.

Possibly. I don't follow it all real closely, just with some passing interest.
The most insane thing is how much reffing and UK games is brought up. Literally every game there are multiple posts on officiating----hell, there is usually at least one thread per KU game on RR hammering refs for handing us games. What causes a fanbase to always be hyper focused on 1 small aspect of games? Its strange

Last edited:
So this justifies threatening someone’s life? That is pathetic and I am stunned that a good poster as yourself would go that far.

That is a pretty terrible job of representing what I actually said. Did you really not understand or was your intent to just act like I said whatever fit whatever absurd point you are trying to make?

That is a pretty terrible job of representing what I actually said. Did you really not understand or was your intent to just act like I said whatever fit whatever absurd point you are trying to make?
Sadly I understood exactly what you said. Own it.

Sadly I understood exactly what you said. Own it.

I would prefer you simply ignore me if you aren’t able to understand what I post. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncfan in ky
No he didn’t. Your looney fan base went overboard and you know it. Trying to mess up someone’s business/life over a game is just straight up wrong. Sounds like you contributed to the drama he went through.

So the fans got rid of one of the best in the business? Smart move. All refs miss calls. There would be no games without the refs-just fights. UK doesn't deserve any better refs than any other team. Refs call the games in real time and fans and commentators have the ability to look at slow mo. Refs are always under review and the simple truth is that if there doing the jobs poorly they would be out of work.

The most insane thing is how much reffing and UK games is brought up. Literally every game there are multiple posts on officiating----hell, there is usually at least one thread per KU game on RR hammering refs for handing us games. What causes a fanbase to always be hyper focused on 1 small aspect of games? Its strange
Sure. Probably has to to do with the sheer size of the fanbase. If it were smaller like some programs, it wouldn't have enough voice behind it to be noticeable. I agree it is odd. What's interesting to me is in Higgins' case, SO MANY people were on the same page with the perceived slights. Not sure how a mob mentality develops through a mostly anonymous fanbase. I guess so many people saw the same thing and came to the same conclusions, atypical of the usual "refs" threads.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT