ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason #1

Afamu

Feb 9, 2017
Preseason #1 to not making the tourney with 75% of scoring returning.

Priceless.

Reactions: ThePhog08
e984d0a5a91731674765d9b577069c11

• Haha
Who knew Brady Manek was the difference between UNC being a title contender or not making the tournament?

Who knew Brady Manek was the difference between UNC being a title contender or not making the tournament?

To be fair, Manek only really played a lot once Garcia left the team. But yeah, it's crazy how much difference he made. He also had to basically chew the team out last year and hold them accountable. You know, crap a coach generally does.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Nance was very disappointing for unc. He is very soft and weak with the ball.
I still think unc should never have missed the tournament, they had dudes, but they never worked together.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Net 47 with 1 quad 1 win and 13 losses. I’d say they’re NIT bound.

So what’s the minimum for Hubert Davis keeping his job after next season? Just gotta make the tournament and go from there? Or need to make the tourney and actually be a threat?

So what’s the minimum for Hubert Davis keeping his job after next season? Just gotta make the tournament and go from there? Or need to make the tourney and actually be a threat?
Hopefully, they have some sense and keep him around. UK kept Tubby around after his first season's success.

Granted they both succeeded with other coaches' players.

Give Davis some time to get his players/team.

Reactions: ceilo77

Meanwhile, a team with only a few more Quad 1 wins and a worse loss than any of UNC’s has a great shot at the overall #1. Go figure. They should decide if quality wins matter or not.

I’d say that North Carolina’s a tournament quality team. Probably better than some of the teams that will get at-large bids.

Meanwhile, a team with only a few more Quad 1 wins and a worse loss than any of UNC’s has a great shot at the overall #1. Go figure. They should decide if quality wins matter or not.

I’d say that North Carolina’s a tournament quality team. Probably better than some of the teams that will get at-large bids.
Agree 100%
Raise your hand if you want UNC as your first game.
I'm guessing no one will

Reactions: ExitFlagger
They aren't getting in. Zero chance. Although, if they won they they would have zero Quad 1 wins but since they lost they have one, lol.

Beating UVA neutral site would have been Quad 1 win. Quad 1 is top 30 at home, top 50 neutral, and top 75 on the road. You may have lost the home Quad 1 win but would have picked up the neutral Quad 1 win. Either way, you have 1 Quad 1 win. Any other team with this resume and NCAAs aren't even a discussion.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

This is about location right? Kansas and Houston both want the same region?

Also there is an obvious double standard in the selection process when it comes to how dominant mid majors body of work is measured versus power 5 programs.

This is about location right? Kansas and Houston both want the same region?

So what?

The point is that Houston's resume is barely better than UNC's. In fact, I don't see any reason to think that UNC wouldn't have a similar record with Houston's schedule. Between the two, the only team with a bad loss is Houston.

• Haha
Reactions: Montana81
UNC has talent but never got it together. Those guards are wild as shit. Got hot at the right time last year. Didn't believe in them last year or this year.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

I knew from the first game this wasn't going to end well. They were still hung over from last year. The preseason #1 was bad but I didn't think missing the tourney would happen. Taking bad shots and not holding players accountable is on Hubert and it's not like he doesn't have a bench. When UK was going through their slump mid season I didn't throw shade at them because I knew UNC had issues and I also knew they would figure it out. Going forward I'm hoping Love decides to leave and I'm good with RJ returning but next year is going to be key for Hubert.

It will seem a little weird with no UNC in the Tourney.

• Love
No UNC in the tourney sucks

I think we should should retract Oscar Tshiebwe's POTY award from 2022 and give it to Brady Manek, there hasn't been such a miracle worker as Brady since Jesus walked the earth.

Last edited:
No UNC in the tourney sucks

I think we should should retract Oscar Tshiebwe's POTY award from 2022 and give it to Brady Manek, there hasn't been such a miracle as Brady since Jesus walked the earth.

I would agree but it's not deserved.

It was just so grossly underestimated the impact Manek had and his ability to soothe the inconsistencies from Davis and Love. The floor spacing that allowed Bacot to operate so effectively just vanished, and that’s truly the one difference. Over those scorching final 10 games last year, Manek had 33 threes. This year, over the last 10 Nance had 9. Remove his 4-4 Virginia game, and he went 5-24.

The loss to Duke is a microcosm, as it was Mitchell - a secondary rebounder - that grabbed two crucial rebounds away from Bacot to effectively close out the game. Had Manek been there, he’d have been away from the paint and Bacot would’ve had those boards.

It’s not that simple of course, but given how small their margin of error was last year to begin with, it’s really interesting how much Manek greased the wheels.

I knew from the first game this wasn't going to end well. They were still hung over from last year. The preseason #1 was bad but I didn't think missing the tourney would happen. Taking bad shots and not holding players accountable is on Hubert and it's not like he doesn't have a bench. When UK was going through their slump mid season I didn't throw shade at them because I knew UNC had issues and I also knew they would figure it out. Going forward I'm hoping Love decides to leave and I'm good with RJ returning but next year is going to be key for Hubert.
I wasn’t throwing shade, trust me. No UK fan has any room to do that this season. I just wanted to make sure you didn’t miss Afam’s thread. You two keep it hoppin’..

Last edited:
Reactions: AWilli6995
Every major guy on the roster has the "option" of returning. Can't wait to see the drama unfold. Do they come back for redemption, do they got the "pro route" , aka overseas. Or do they transfer portal?

I wasn’t throwing shade, trust me. No UK fan has any room to do that this season. I just wanted to make sure you didn’t miss Afam’s thread. You two keep it hoppin’..

I'm of the mindset if the criticism is deserved I can't say shit. As for the OP he's rarely right so again he along with others can say what they want to about this UNC team and you won't see any push back from me.

• Sad
Reactions: Random UK Fan

I think Hubert Davis is safe for the next 4-5 years regardless of results as long as he does nothing off the court to embarrass the school. Last years deep tournament run have bought him plenty of time, also even the most diehard unc fans were ready to embrace an era of mediocrity following Roy Williams retirement.

I think Hubert Davis is safe for the next 4-5 years regardless of results as long as he does nothing off the court to embarrass the school. Last years deep tournament run have bought him plenty of time, also even the most diehard unc fans were ready to embrace an era of mediocrity following Roy Williams retirement.

I think he has two years. That big time class in two years will be the year they either believe in him or move on. It would be different if Bubba actually wanted to hire him and made the decision but if it goes south he is going to tell the people who pushed this they had their chance and now it's his turn.

Better hope the committee doesn't squeeze them in----I mean b/c bro this thread would be fukin epic.

Me?---I would have waited until Sunday evening....

UNC has talent but never got it together. Those guards are wild as shit. Got hot at the right time last year. Didn't believe in them last year or this year.
When did you quit believing last year?---I mean they did make the title game...Was it at theunder 16 of the National title game that you stop believing? Or later?

Better hope the committee doesn't squeeze them in----I mean b/c bro this thread would be fukin epic.

Me?---I would have waited until Sunday evening....
Wouldn’t matter. Everyone knows they don’t deserve it. If Clemson is out, for sure Afam U is.

Agree 100%
Raise your hand if you want UNC as your first game.
I'm guessing no one will
No one is scared of unc.

If I were a 6 seed, I'd be praying that unc somehow gets in and was my first round matchup.

Easy win. They lost to EVERY team they played with a pulse. Their one quad 1 win is barely just.

Every team in the big 12 would be make the ncaat this year out of the acc. Every team would finish top 4, 6 would have won it.

When did you quit believing last year?---I mean they did make the title game...Was it at theunder 16 of the National title game that you stop believing? Or later?
I NEVER believed in them. It was a fluke run, and I always thought their guard play sucked. I even said as much. You can find it if you look hard enough. Smart ass

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT