ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Series..Dude takes HR ball off chest, holding beers...

What does it being the WS have to do with anything? He's not in the running lane. He's out.
Do you think they call that all season long?NVM, it doesn't matter now...so much.

I guess the Kentucky fandom in me is leaking over into this WS with complaining about the refs/umps. :p

That was some funny shit. Dude takes a HR ball off his chest, while holding two beers..Reminded me of Happy Gilmore, where Sandler gets in the batting cage, taking pitches off his chest.

Somebody has to post this. My god that was funny..
Did you see where he got his own Bud Light commercial?

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Do you think they call that all season long?NVM, it doesn't matter now...so much.

I guess the Kentucky fandom in me is leaking over into this WS with complaining about the refs/umps. :p
Yes, We just never hear about it. Difference is---this is the WS---EVeryone is watching. This isn't the Mariners vs the Orioles, on a Wed night.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Wasn't he stepping straight on the middle of the bag when the ball arrived? How is that not allowed? This isn't little league with two bases so no one turns an ankle. I thought the last step you were allowed in fair territory as a right to the bag. If not, you technically would miss the bag every time.

Wasn't he stepping straight on the middle of the bag when the ball arrived? How is that not allowed? This isn't little league with two bases so no one turns an ankle. I thought the last step you were allowed in fair territory as a right to the bag. If not, you technically would miss the bag every time.
He was. And you are... Issue is---he ran down the line entirely in fair territory. He never was in the running lane. You have to give the fielder a throwing lane. By running in fair territory the entire way---he did not. Its the correct call.

He was. And you are... Issue is---he ran down the line entirely in fair territory. He never was in the running lane. You have to give the fielder a throwing lane. By running in fair territory the entire way---he did not. Its the correct call.

He had a throwing lane. He had enough space for my freshman in HS to make a throw to the fair side of the bag, haha. It was a bad throw (which I know no one is disputing). The only difference seems to be where he ran and how that impacts the fielder? If he would have ran in the box and then stepped in the exact same spot he would have been fine it seems. It also says if in the umpire's judgment he interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base. So the umpire ruled that his lane interfered with the fielding of the throw, not the thrower. It seems that is where people disagree. He would have ended up in the exact same spot even if he would have ran in the lane and interfered in the exact same way according to the moment contact was made. Regardless, interesting occurrence in such a big game.

Umpiring is such a difficult job.

I'm just glad that call didn't ultimately end up mattering. I might have thrown my TV out the window. Game 7 tomorrow, hoping to see Mad Max on the mound, let's go Nationals!!!

I'm just glad that call didn't ultimately end up mattering. I might have thrown my TV out the window. Game 7 tomorrow, hoping to see Mad Max on the mound, let's go Nationals!!!
From the way their season started, and all the miraculous comebacks in the postseason, it seems as though the Nationals are destined to win the WS. Great storyline.

Reactions: VAWildcat15
He had a throwing lane. He had enough space for my freshman in HS to make a throw to the fair side of the bag, haha. It was a bad throw (which I know no one is disputing). The only difference seems to be where he ran and how that impacts the fielder? If he would have ran in the box and then stepped in the exact same spot he would have been fine it seems. It also says if in the umpire's judgment he interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base. So the umpire ruled that his lane interfered with the fielding of the throw, not the thrower. It seems that is where people disagree. He would have ended up in the exact same spot even if he would have ran in the lane and interfered in the exact same way according to the moment contact was made. Regardless, interesting occurrence in such a big game.

Its a difficult call. No doubt. IMO. had the runner been in the running lane, then veered to the middle---as he is allowed, there is no call. But since he ran the entire 90 feet, outside of the lane,the umpire made the call. I would have too.

Its a difficult call. No doubt. IMO. had the runner been in the running lane, then veered to the middle---as he is allowed, there is no call. But since he ran the entire 90 feet, outside of the lane,the umpire made the call. I would have too.
Correct. If he would’ve ran like he was probably taught a a child, run with your left foot on the line, he would’ve been fine.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

The rule is simple. If you run outside of the running lane, as a runner, you are not protected; last step to the base. That was the case. Right call. Same with college.

The rule is simple. If you run outside of the running lane, as a runner, you are not protected; last step to the base. That was the case. Right call. Same with college.

Interesting. The rule doesn't really say that though, which is why is was so confusing. It leaves a lot of it up to the umpire's judgement in terms of whether it impacted the fielder's ability to catch the ball. IOW, with what you are saying if he would have stepped all the way over to the very right edge of the bag he still would have been called for interference even if his entire body was in foul territory since that was just his last step but his line was inside the line. I believe you though. I'm sure that is what is accepted as the call from an umpire's POV.

He definitely ran inside the baseline until the very end. Just seems like at that point you reward a guy for a terrible throw. He was probably running there on purpose though.

Last edited:
Interesting. The rule doesn't really say that though, which is why is was so confusing. It leaves a lot of it up to the umpire's judgement in terms of whether it impacted the fielder's ability to catch the ball. IOW, with what you are saying if he would have stepped all the way over to the very right edge of the bag he still would have been called for interference even if his entire body was in foul territory since that was just his last step but his line was inside the line.
Actually, it does say that.

The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane. The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.

Note the part(S) I bolded...Also, important context here--- "Is permitted to EXIT the tree-foot lane."...

In other words, had Turner been INSIDE the running lane, as he is required by rule, THEN exited the lane as he steps on the bag---he would have been fine. Problem is---Turner was never inside, nor on the lane. Since he was not, he was not protected.

The rule goes on to say:

However...

A runner that is running the ENTIRE distance outside of the running lane, will not be protected if he interfere's with a play, EVEN if its in his last stride or step to the base. In order to be protected, this LAST step must be when he FIRST exits the running lane.

I alluded to this last night. Turner ran the entire distance, outside of the lane. So he was never protected. Once there was contact---he was out.

A great call.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
So if he would have stepped over to the foul side of the line during that last step, even way in foul territory where he just could barely put a foot on the inside of the base, and the ball would have hit him in foul territory he still would have been out it seems. Seems so since he ran the entire way out of the box, which he certainly did. I guess that is one way to keep players in the box. If you are a pitcher it seems the prudent play there is to just throw the ball at the batter.

So if he would have stepped over to the foul side of the line during that last step, even way in foul territory where he just could barely put a foot on the inside of the base, and the ball would have hit him in foul territory he still would have been out it seems. Seems so since he ran the entire way out of the box, which he certainly did. I guess that is one way to keep players in the box. If you are a pitcher it seems the prudent play there is to just throw the ball at the batter.
Yes. You have to be in the running lane.

Really would like to see Houston win. Hate to see Verlander and Greinke miss out on another World Series title. They’re running out of opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT