ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kyrie apologizes to Lebron

giphy.gif

otivox4d6ac9o5qu8qkq.jpg
tenor.gif

Michael and Barkley were buddy buddy. Magic kissed Isaiah before a Finals' game.

Are they more buddy, buddy? Probably. But if social media were the same back then as it is now it would be no different.
Magic then proceeded to take cheep shots at Thomas throughout the series.

Magic then proceeded to take cheep shots at Thomas throughout the series.
And many have taken cheap shots at Lebron and others. So? Green kicked him in the nads, got suspended, but still congratulated him after the cavs' win.

Last edited:
And many have taken cheap shots at Lebron and others. So?
You brought up the Thomas - Magic thing. Players did not go on vacation together or work out together like they do now. You might have one or two instances, but nothing like today. The only player I can remember openly stating he didn’t want to join a super team or work out with every other star was the Greek Freek. It’s kind of an irrelevant argument, but I know you argee with my talent comment.

Very mature of Kyrie to admit that to Bron! An even bigger person to mention it publicly. Props to Kyrie!
I agree with that. The one thing I am leery of in his comments lately about what he has said publicly about his younger teammates. Those same teammates were a big time factor for a team that was one game away from losing to GS in the finals. Which they did without him in the court. I do think Irving’s heart is in the correct place though and he is figuring out the leadership thing.

Reactions: Quavarius
I'm not sure if I agree with that last part. I really think mentality in the game has changed. Players are much more buddy-buddy today than ever back in the 80's and 90's. Mindsets like Kobe and Michael are long gone.

That said, the overall level of talent is definitely higher now than it ever has been before.

I agree the mentality is somewhat different. People care about winning for sure but the money is so ridiculous that caring kind of stops when the game ends sometimes. I don't think that was the case as much years ago. There are still some though. Westbrook gets on my nerves at times but no one cares about winning as much as that dude IMO.

The least secure Duke fan you’ll ever “meet.”

Yeah, don't think that is even it. He just openly trolls and has become sort of a farce regarding Duke. I think everyone with some sense knows this was more about Kyrie calling out his teammates than him really wanting to apologize to Lebron. If that was the case, it would have been kept between the two.

Reactions: dtgold88
I agree with that. The one thing I am leery of in his comments lately about what he has said publicly about his younger teammates. Those same teammates were a big time factor for a team that was one game away from losing to GS in the finals. Which they did without him in the court. I do think Irving’s heart is in the correct place though and he is figuring out the leadership thing.

Agreed

Michael and Barkley were buddy buddy. Magic kissed Isaiah before a Finals' game.

Are they more buddy, buddy? Probably. But if social media were the same back then as it is now it would be no different.
Then preceded to try and kill each other..Winking

I agree the mentality is somewhat different. People care about winning for sure but the money is so ridiculous that caring kind of stops when the game ends sometimes. I don't think that was the case as much years ago. There are still some though. Westbrook gets on my nerves at times but no one cares about winning as much as that dude IMO.

Yeah, don't think that is even it. He just openly trolls and has become sort of a farce regarding Duke. I think everyone with some sense knows this was more about Kyrie calling out his teammates than him really wanting to apologize to Lebron. If that was the case, it would have been kept between the two.
Trolling is equally pathetic.

Reactions: denniden
You brought up the Thomas - Magic thing. Players did not go on vacation together or work out together like they do now. You might have one or two instances, but nothing like today. The only player I can remember openly stating he didn’t want to join a super team or work out with every other star was the Greek Freek. It’s kind of an irrelevant argument, but I know you argee with my talent comment.
How do you know? Not quite the social media age then for them to report on these things.

I do think we agree on the talent comment

sorry...I don't think what he did was mature at all. Kyrie completely threw the young guys under the bus. "I had to call bron and say I was sorry for being an ass hole like these young guys". They must love him. Besides the young guy that didn’t throw him the ball is 2 years older, and the coach that called the play for Tatum is, what, 10-15 years older?

sorry...I don't think what he did was mature at all. Kyrie completely threw the young guys under the bus. "I had to call bron and say I was sorry for being an ass hole like these young guys". They must love him. Besides the young guy that didn’t throw him the ball is 2 years older, and the coach that called the play for Tatum is, what, 10-15 years older?
Kyrie definitely threw the young guys under the bus. Basically exonerated himself for Boston's continued struggle for consistency. I like that Kyrie was able to admit what he did, but he could have left that in private. Making it public in the way he did, after already blaming the young guys on a couple occasions earlier, it does make me pause to see if this was Kyrie trying to be a leader or a selfish type who hates taking any of the blame. I am an optimist, so I take the heart is in the right place mentality on this and remain hopeful that is the case going forward.

I do know one thing, if I were one of those young guys (Tatum, Brown and Rozier) that were such a huge part of last years playoff run, I would want a detailed explanation of his comments to the world about apologizing to Lebron and the passive aggressive digs taken at them by their supposed "leader."

Agree with everything Barkley said last night ripping on Kyrie for these comments. Basically, the only purpose of these comments was to continue throwing the young guys under the bus, the same young guys who went to the ECF last year without Kyrie. Kenny Smith added that Kyrie is a terrible leader for doing this. Should've kept this conversation with Lebron to himself. Only purpose in making it public was to throw shade at his young teammates. Pathetic move by Kyrie.

Agree with everything Barkley said last night ripping on Kyrie for these comments. Basically, the only purpose of these comments was to continue throwing the young guys under the bus, the same young guys who went to the ECF last year without Kyrie. Kenny Smith added that Kyrie is a terrible leader for doing this. Should've kept this conversation with Lebron to himself. Only purpose in making it public was to throw shade at his young teammates. Pathetic move by Kyrie.
I watched that last night. Barkley did not hide what he thought. Kenny Smith at least tried to take into account both sides but still came to basically the same opinion as Barkley when all was said and done. Like I said earlier, if I am a teammate of Kyrie's, I would be asking for an explanation of this as it is not the first time something along these lines has happened recently.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Kyrie definitely threw the young guys under the bus. Basically exonerated himself for Boston's continued struggle for consistency. I like that Kyrie was able to admit what he did, but he could have left that in private. Making it public in the way he did, after already blaming the young guys on a couple occasions earlier, it does make me pause to see if this was Kyrie trying to be a leader or a selfish type who hates taking any of the blame. I am an optimist, so I take the heart is in the right place mentality on this and remain hopeful that is the case going forward.

I do know one thing, if I were one of those young guys (Tatum, Brown and Rozier) that were such a huge part of last years playoff run, I would want a detailed explanation of his comments to the world about apologizing to Lebron and the passive aggressive digs taken at them by their supposed "leader."
Exactly my thought when it comes to Rozier, Brown and Tatum. They made it to the 7th game of the ECF without him. He was such a leader he stayed home for Game 7.

It's funny not only did he point out what a prick he might have been with Lebron (while throwing his teammates under the bus) he's kind of turning into the guy (though not nearly on his level). Calling himself a leader while not being a true leader through his actions. And as you mentioned, his selfish comments after the loss the other day. And not sure anyone is known to be more passive aggressive in the NBA than Lebron.

Hope you know I say all these things not because of any angst I have toward either player for leaving. Still think Kyrie is a great player and actually think he could end up being a better leader than Lebron (who I never thought was a true leader).

I do wonder how this is playing in the locker.

And to think all this started when he wasn't given the last shot in the game. Looking at the play it seems the young guys had nothing to do with it and the playcall was for Hayward (older than Kyrie, BTW) to pass the ball to Tatum (who made some big shots throughout the playoffs last year if Kyrie was not aware). Kyrie was past half court.

Exactly my thought when it comes to Rozier, Brown and Tatum. They made it to the 7th game of the ECF without him. He was such a leader he stayed home for Game 7.

It's funny not only did he point out what a prick he might have been with Lebron (while throwing his teammates under the bus) he's kind of turning into the guy (though not nearly on his level). Calling himself a leader while not being a true leader through his actions. And as you mentioned, his selfish comments after the loss the other day. And not sure anyone is known to be more passive aggressive in the NBA than Lebron.

Hope you know I say all these things not because of any angst I have toward either player for leaving. Still think Kyrie is a great player and actually think he could end up being a better leader than Lebron (who I never thought was a true leader).
Everything you have said in regards to Irving is not only fair but worthy of discussion.

I do wonder how this is playing in the locker.

And to think all this started when he wasn't given the last shot in the game. Looking at the play it seems the young guys had nothing to do with it and the playcall was for Hayward (older than Kyrie, BTW) to pass the ball to Tatum (who made some big shots throughout the playoffs last year if Kyrie was not aware). Kyrie was past half court.
Tatum also had 34 in the game prior to that.

Tatum also had 34 in the game prior to that.
Cannot say I've seen him a lot this year, but I could not have been much more impressed with what he did in the ECF last year as a rookie. Have to think the Cs were better off with him in that series than Kyrie if one or the other.

Any fallout reported from his comments. or keeping in-house?

Cannot say I've seen him a lot this year, but I could not have been much more impressed with what he did in the ECF last year as a rookie. Have to think the Cs were better off with him in that series than Kyrie if one or the other.

Any fallout reported from his comments. or keeping in-house?
Tatum was a Beast in that series, on both sides of the ball. I’m not sure Boston would have been better off though. Irving is not a guy you want to have to deal with when its all on the line.

I haven’t heard anything really in regards to the locker room stuff. I’m sure there’s something though. It’ll be interesting to see how everyone responds tonight against Memphis. I know one thing I can rely on with this team consistently, Marcus Smart will come out and play with everything he has.

Tatum was a Beast in that series, on both sides of the ball. I’m not sure Boston would have been better off though. Irving is not a guy you want to have to deal with when its all on the line.

I haven’t heard anything really in regards to the locker room stuff. I’m sure there’s something though. It’ll be interesting to see how everyone responds tonight against Memphis. I know one thing I can rely on with this team consistently, Marcus Smart will come out and play with everything he has.
Good point. Guy might be a bit of a nutjob/enigma, but he could go off for 40-50 any time he steps on the floor.

Reactions: denniden
agree....like they do now. Green and Lebron went after each other then green congratulates and hugs him after the game.
True. But like all things in life.....Shit changes. I mean JMO, but I just cannot fathom a scenario where MJ, Magic and others would ever team with one another. I think the desire to beat each other was just to strong. It was in their competitive DNA---so too speak. Kinda of like a personal vendetta to show themselves, that they could beat the best. I just don't get that vibe with today's players. Seems as if the NBA has become more of a big fraternity. Maybe there just isn't enough superstars? I dunno. Not enough villains....Or teams seen as villains. Again, JMO.

True. But like all things in life.....Shit changes. I mean JMO, but I just cannot fathom a scenario where MJ, Magic and others would ever team with one another. I think the desire to beat each other was just to strong. It was in their competitive DNA---so too speak. Kinda of like a personal vendetta to show themselves, that they could beat the best. I just don't get that vibe with today's players. Seems as if the NBA has become more of a big fraternity. Maybe there just isn't enough superstars? I dunno. Not enough villains....Or teams seen as villains. Again, JMO.

A lot of it has to do with the rise of AAU summer ball. Lots of these guys have been buddies since they were high school age as a result of hanging out all summer. Makes it easier to team up with another superstar if you've been pals for a decade.

A lot of it has to do with the rise of AAU summer ball. Lots of these guys have been buddies since they were high school age as a result of hanging out all summer. Makes it easier to team up with another superstar if you've been pals for a decade.
I can get on board with this...Good post.

I think there are more superstars now than ever. There are some straight freaks, one even named as such, these days.

I’ll give you the fraternity and villains aspect though. Everyone wants to be “Liked” in 2019. Eyeroll

I think there are more superstars now than ever. There are some straight freaks, one even named as such, these days.

I’ll give you the fraternity and villains aspect though. Everyone wants to be “Liked” in 2019. Eyeroll
When I say super stars---I mean Kevin Durant/LBJ super stars. Not great players...Or good players. But planet revolving players. Back in MJ's days----You had Dominque, Bird, Magic, Michael, Thomas, etc, etc....
James Harden is great.....Steph probably the best shooter ever....So on and so on. YOu have a ton of stars. Just not a ton of superstars. JMO.

When I say super stars---I mean Kevin Durant/LBJ super stars. Not great players...Or good players. But planet revolving players. Back in MJ's days----You had Dominque, Bird, Magic, Michael, Thomas, etc, etc....
James Harden is great.....Steph probably the best shooter ever....So on and so on. YOu have a ton of stars. Just not a ton of superstars. JMO.
Agree to disagree.

Agree to disagree.
That's cool. I just don't think there are that many guys today, who could carry the league on their back. LBJ can.....Durant as well. TO me, that's what I'm talking about in "superstar". I just felt guys like Michael, Magic, Bird, Nique, etc, etc.....where the face of the NBA, type of stars. Just don't hiunk outside of LeBron/Durant, and possibly AD, that it exists as much today.

That's cool. I just don't think there are that many guys today, who could carry the league on their back. LBJ can.....Durant as well. TO me, that's what I'm talking about in "superstar". I just felt guys like Michael, Magic, Bird, Nique, etc, etc.....where the face of the NBA, type of stars. Just don't hiunk outside of LeBron/Durant, and possibly AD, that it exists as much today.

Yeah you already said that. Agree to disagree.

Good point. Guy might be a bit of a nutjob/enigma, but he could go off for 40-50 any time he steps on the floor.
No issue with Irvings play from me and a guy I feel very comfortable with in any clutch time situation or game. He is super gifted and he plays hard. BTW, Kyrie was awesome tonight.

No way to disprove this, but you have to remember the NBA was different then when it comes to the CBA. No max deals. would also think because of social media the players are tighter.

MJ hates Kraus and it's no secret. But I don't believe anyone could come close to the $30 million+ offer the Bulls made to him. You don't think he'd have stuck it to them if someone could approach that figure?

Magic and Bird were playing with teams littered with other HOFers and they were winning. No reason to go anywhere. But Magic did get his coached fired as a rookie.

Barkley couldn't get by MJ so he asked to be traded. Hell, Kobe asked to be traded unless another superstar was brought in. Didn't Moses Malone ask to be moved to Philly?

I think you are shortchanging today's superstars. There are a number of guys today who are on dominique's level IMO.

No issue with Irvings play from me and a guy I feel very comfortable with in any clutch time situation or game. He is super gifted and he plays hard. BTW, Kyrie was awesome tonight.
Never had an issue with his game. As I'm sure you remember, I always thought he was one of the top 3 PGs in the game and still do.

But those comments.......needs to teach the young guys to win? The young guys who were ahead in Game 7 of the ECF with only 5 minutes to go? If not for Lebron being Lebron (and no one in the East has beaten him in quite some time) they win the game.....while Kyrie could not be bothered to attend the game to help lead.

as mentioned, leaders don't call themselves leaders. Ironic, he probably got this from Lebron.

ADVERTISEMENT