ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Power Conference Tournaments

Northeastern will rep the colonial. This was a well played game and they earned it. Was kind of hoping Hofstra would win but NE was just nails tonight

Reactions: sgrooms
Northern Kentucky representing the Horizon League with a win over Wright State.

Saint Mary's with a nice little run to take the lead over Gonzaga.

Odds are low- but I think UMBC swept Vermont this season...

They did. The only team to beat Vermont in 2019. These teams just look so exhausted right now. And it's hard to beat a team three times in one season, especially if that team is better than you.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
After tonight it kind of turns over to the bigger conferences. The America East also has it starting at 10 Central Time on Saturday and for that, I am grateful. Nice way to showcase their game

Reactions: CDNCBBFan
Five more bids locked in last night. Here's the current list:

SoCon - Wofford #7
OVC - Murray State #12
WCC - Saint Mary's #12
Atlantic Sun - Liberty #13
Horizon - Northern Kentucky #14
CAA - Northeastern #14
MVC - Bradley #15
Big South - Gardner-Webb #15
MAAC - Iona #16
NEC - Fairleigh Dickinson #16
Summit - North Dakota State #16

Was hoping a few of the games would be a little more competitive. Northern Kentucky shot the lights out and Wright State was never able to make it much of a game.

I was impressed by Northeastern's fortitude. They must have been having some serious flashbacks after blowing a 17 point lead in the finals last year. Then up 16 at halftime this year and Hofstra comes back to tie the game. But they stayed calm and pulled it out, Pusica hit some absolutely massive shots.

Similar storyline in the North Dakota State game. They had a big lead, Omaha came back in the second half to tie it. Then NDSU took control back to win somewhat comfortably.

Big story of the night is Saint Mary's stealing a bid. Bubble teams cannot be happy about that. They played a fantastic game. Slowed the tempo, kept Gonzaga out of transition. Gonzaga has a great front court, but Hunter absolutely ate their lunches last night. He had as many rebounds as Hachimura and Clarke combined. Hachimura needs more than 6 field goal attempts. It also doesn't help when you go 2 of 17 from 3. Games like this happen though. I think most people underestimate how difficult it is to go undefeated in conference play, even if you don't play in a power conference. And it's not a terrible conference, Saint Mary's is 29th in KP and 34th in NET.

Reactions: ChiTownSean
Colgate in and projected to be a #15 seed on BracketMatrix.

Thus far it seems to have been a pretty common theme in the championship games that one teams gets a 15-ish point lead, before blowing the entire lead, then pulling away again to win by double digits. Happened to Colgate, North Dakota State and Northeastern (I believe they only won by 8). UNI also blew a massive lead, but then closed the deal by actually losing the game to Bradley.

I enjoy Colgate. I love gyms like that one with the old wooden bleachers. Thought it was funny how they showed the people coming in and out of the doors behind one of the baskets. Really a high school feel. Their team has such a nerdy look too. Right up there with the early 90's Princeton teams that used to give people fits in the early rounds of the tourney.

Lots of conference championship games today:

America East - #1 Vermont vs #3 UMBC
MEAC - #1 Norfolk State vs #3 NC Central
MWC - #2 Utah State vs #4 San Diego State (Nevada was upset by SDSU in the semis. Disappointing because a rematch of Nevada-Utah State would have been an absolute bloodbath)
SWAC - #1 Prairie View vs #2 Texas Southern
MAC - #1 Buffalo vs #3 Bowling Green
Big Sky - #1 Montana vs #3 Eastern Washington
C-USA - #1 Old Dominion vs #2 Western Kentucky
Southland - #2 Abilene Christian vs #4 New Orleans
WAC - #1 New Mexico State vs #3 Grand Canyon
Big West - #1 UC Irvine vs #3 CS Fullerton

Also a few major conference championship games but I imagine everyone is aware of them already.

Enjoy one of the best college basketball days of the year!

ADVERTISEMENT