ADVERTISEMENT

New big 12 basketball - better or worse? Better by a mile

KStateFootball82

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2017
OU and Texas couldn’t give two sh**s about basketball, nor has either one ever won a natty. those entering all do. Except UCF. But curious if this is a good trade. I know the remaining 8 teams right now are at a great level of play. Baylor, KU, WVU, Tech and Okie State are at a high level. Kstate and ISU could get back to snuff quickly again here.

Cincinatti - 2 natties. 12th winningiest program ever. I do wish Mick Cronin was a lifer there for the big 12 coming in. But clearly the best bball add here.

Houston - 2 runner ups in the 80’s with phi slamma jamma. Now back to elite status and a final four with Sampson this year . Good pedigree for bball and Sampson has 5-10 years left.

BYU - top 25 all time winning program. Had some good runs with Jimmer Freddette, etc recently. I believe went to a sweet 16 here recently?

uCF - played duke to the wire in the elite 8 3 years ago. But it’s a football school.

In exchange for:

OU - decent program now overshadowed by the Thunder tho. I believe all time top 30 winning program. Maybe 27? Does have the 2016 and 2002 final fours. And 1988 runner up.

Texas - has one relevant final four in 2003 and just underachieves annually ever since Durant left in 2008 ish. They did have a good run there in the 2000’s. Beard may take that up a level tho to where Barnes was. But it’s Texas. They’ll find a way to blow it. IMO.

Reactions: Willt973
Im not so sure ur not underselling Houstons future.

Cincy may have more history, but Houston has been better recently imo.

basketball wise, sure pretty even trade.

Football not so much. Still pretty good though given the situation, with OU and TX bolting.

Im not so sure ur not underselling Houstons future.

Cincy may have more history, but Houston has been better recently imo.

basketball wise, sure pretty even trade.

Football not so much. Still pretty good though given the situation, with OU and TX bolting.
Not underselling. Houston at all. They have been elite and won’t stop anytime soon.

Im not sure we needed basketball to be better. Isnt the big 12 consistently the top 1-2 connies every year?

Reactions: KisteK
Id say it rotates a bit. Like i feel like a few years back the acc was the premiere basketball conf, but we havent been for a few years now. Thats a hard argument to make for any league honestly. Bc after the non-conf its all in conf games. Like big ten last year looked to be hands down the best until they fell flat in the tourney.

Big12 has the current champs tho, no arguing that.

Basketball was never the issue for the Big 12. From a basketball standpoint, yes, the news schools are usually better than Texas or Oklahoma. That said, that's about the only positive you can take away from all of this if you're still in the Big 12.

Cincy has good tradition but they are currently a dumpster fire confirming they wanna be just like Louisville. I believe entire team transferred something was going on with prior coach. Like the new hire Miller unsure he fits and/or how big the rebuild project is?

UCF ... Traditionally bad. Hadn't noticed Johnny Dawkins has done ok with them. They are gonna struggle they almost gotta combine travel with less talent I assume bottom feeders when they move in.

BYU on upswing unclear if it's the current regime driving that gotta believe Pope moves on but don't know how he is wired.

Houston is your big pull like what they are doing but also unsure how long Sampson stays. Never hear his name when "bigger" jobs open.

Losing TX hurts. From performance projection they appear headed for an uptick.

OU can't lie wanna make something up here but can't do it. They seem blah. No clue what they are up too. But good program through the years. Not great.

Last edited:
Trading Houston alone for Texas and OU is probably an upgrade. Throwing in the other 3 is just icing on the cake.

OU and Texas couldn’t give two sh**s about basketball, nor has either one ever won a natty. those entering all do. Except UCF. But curious if this is a good trade. I know the remaining 8 teams right now are at a great level of play. Baylor, KU, WVU, Tech and Okie State are at a high level. Kstate and ISU could get back to snuff quickly again here.

Cincinatti - 2 natties. 12th winningiest program ever. I do wish Mick Cronin was a lifer there for the big 12 coming in. But clearly the best bball add here.

Houston - 2 runner ups in the 80’s with phi slamma jamma. Now back to elite status and a final four with Sampson this year . Good pedigree for bball and Sampson has 5-10 years left.

BYU - top 25 all time winning program. Had some good runs with Jimmer Freddette, etc recently. I believe went to a sweet 16 here recently?

uCF - played duke to the wire in the elite 8 3 years ago. But it’s a football school.

In exchange for:

OU - decent program now overshadowed by the Thunder tho. I believe all time top 30 winning program. Maybe 27? Does have the 2016 and 2002 final fours. And 1988 runner up.

Texas - has one relevant final four in 2003 and just underachieves annually ever since Durant left in 2008 ish. They did have a good run there in the 2000’s. Beard may take that up a level tho to where Barnes was. But it’s Texas. They’ll find a way to blow it. IMO.
UCF didn’t play Duke to the wire in the elite 8. They played Duke to the wire in the second round. Duke lost in the Elite 8 that year to MSU.

Reactions: duckboy33
Trading Houston alone for Texas and OU is probably an upgrade. Throwing in the other 3 is just icing on the cake.

agree. Cincy I would say the same but both then you’re two levels up. BYU isn’t a slouch either.

Ou and Texas don’t care about bball. At all. The little Ou did care was gone after the thunder. And they definitely did before then a bit.

Reactions: Ingersol
Glad they got BYU just cause that weakens the Gonzaga conference and hopefully that will inspire the Zags to move to a real conference.

Reactions: KisteK
Glad they got BYU just cause that weakens the Gonzaga conference and hopefully that will inspire the Zags to move to a real conference.

Gonzaga is going to be losing 3 top 50 games from BYU; their SOS is going to take a major dent from that. And Mark Few might have 10-12 years left? Will that program continue to have similar success Post-Few? That uncertainly could drive the Gonzaga AD into earnestly seeking a better conference.

But, who's going to take Gonzaga? Does any major conference want a school without a football program? The Big East might be the ideal situation for the Zags, minus the fact that they'd be traveling thousands of miles for each road trip.

Cincy has good tradition but they are currently a dumpster fire confirming they wanna be just like Louisville. I believe entire team transferred something was going on with prior coach. Like the new hire Miller unsure he fits and/or how big the rebuild project is?

UCF ... Traditionally bad. Hadn't noticed Johnny Dawkins has done ok with them. They are gonna struggle they almost gotta combine travel with less talent I assume bottom feeders when they move in.

BYU on upswing unclear if it's the current regime driving that gotta believe Pope moves on but don't know how he is wired.

Houston is your big pull like what they are doing but also unsure how long Sampson stays. Never hear his name when "bigger" jobs open.

OU can't lie wanna make something up here but can't do it. They seem blah. No clue what they are up too. But good program through the years. Not great.

Cincy is still Cincy tho. It’s a Louisville

Louisville had some rough teams and bam….right back. So Cincy be fine.

ya if Cronin was a lifer coming into big 12 be awesome

Wouldn't mind being in a golf pairing with Self, Huggins & Sampson.

Using this, it doesn't look better by a mile..

The biggest basketball loss* the Big XII took was losing Chris Beard.
Zero fuchs about the rest.

*Outside monies

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: redraider1212
Cincy is still Cincy tho. It’s a Louisville

Louisville had some rough teams and bam….right back. So Cincy be fine.

ya if Cronin was a lifer coming into big 12 be awesome
Yeah I know all about Louisville was just poking a little fun at Cincy they are an old rival.

Bearcats were a mess last year and it's now a rebuild for them they do have good fans and tradition.

*Outside monies

yes agree. We will see how much of tech was beard and how much was his #2 tho in mark jones or whatever. If Texas kills it then it was all beard

*Outside monies
Out at Baylor not in tier 1

15-16 - 22-11 2nd round
16-17 - 27-8 sweet 16
17-18 - 17-18 NIT
18-19 - 20-14 NIt
19-20 - 26-4 would be final four for sure but no natty (nova, zags, KU or other if played)
20-21 - 28-2 national champs.

like to see how they aren’t tier 1. I can’t even find them on here.

2 years sucked but the other 4 excellent

back to Texas. They were done when drew skyrocketed. He kicked Barnes to the curb. 2 elite 8’s 2009 and 2011. Texas hasn’t been the same since.

Last edited:
Out at Baylor not in tier 1

15-16 - 22-11 2nd round
16-17 - 27-8 sweet 16
17-18 - 17-18 NIT
18-19 - 20-14 NIt
19-20 - 26-4 would be final four for sure but no natty (nova, zags, KU or other if played)
20-21 - 28-2 national champs.

like to see how they aren’t tier 1. I can’t even find them on here.

2 years sucked but the other 4 excellent

back to Texas. They were done when drew skyrocketed. He kicked Barnes to the curb. 2 elite 8’s 2009 and 2011. Texas hasn’t been the same since.
They're "under" Duke

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
agree. Cincy I would say the same but both then you’re two levels up. BYU isn’t a slouch either.

Ou and Texas don’t care about bball. At all. The little Ou did care was gone after the thunder. And they definitely did before then a bit.
Why is Texas preseason #1 in some polls?

Taking a huge hit in revenue. Therefore these schools have less money to spend on basketball.

Majority of these schools don’t care about the sport either.
Baylor would trade their NC in basketball to be competitive in football
Pretty much same with TX Tech. Was said my numerous people when Chris Beard left. They would take that so they can throw the money at football.

Unless these schools have a change of heart and go all in on basketball
You will see a slip.

All of them been hit
TCU, Baylor and Tx Tech
Even more so Tx Tech because it is in the sport you are talking about not women’s basketball or baseball.

People are vastly underestimating the direction the SEC is heading in basketball as well
We can say the opposite.

Additional revenue means that money has to go somewhere.
It is a conference where all sports matter. This idea that it only cares about football is completely ridiculous.
Especially once you start looking at the investment some of these schools have made in other sports.

Won’t be to long IMO and many others that the SEC will be trading spots with the B1G as the #1 conference
The difference in football and basketball is the B1G has basketball talent.
Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit and to a lesser extent Ohio

For the Big 12 it will be all about perception in the state of Texas.
Obviously those schools are lacking in fans but as of today it isn’t like football or especially baseball
UH, Baylor, Tech and Oklahoma State can recruit against the SEC in basketball

But long does this last.
Kinda have a feeling it may not
You can start seeing those schools losing recruits.
This will benefit some of these schools who may not have been doing well recently but have put the money forward to do so
Like a Miss State or even an Ole Miss.

Goes back to coaching.

Kelvin Sampson at any time could be visited by the NCAA
Jamie Dixon already tried to leave
Scott Drew may follow Kim Mulkey

Biggest issue will be in state media coverage
Even with that adds besides BYU the Big 12 isn’t bringing in much in terms of media markets
Oklahoma was 100% Big 12
A&M wasn’t enough for Texas to be considered a SEC State

Less attention to the Big 12 and more to the SEC will eventually hurt these schools in basketball

But if there is a sport where it is starting 50/50 it is basketball
So they have a fighting chance unlike football and baseball

Gonzaga is going to be losing 3 top 50 games from BYU; their SOS is going to take a major dent from that. And Mark Few might have 10-12 years left? Will that program continue to have similar success Post-Few? That uncertainly could drive the Gonzaga AD into earnestly seeking a better conference.

But, who's going to take Gonzaga? Does any major conference want a school without a football program? The Big East might be the ideal situation for the Zags, minus the fact that they'd be traveling thousands of miles for each road trip.

The MWC would probably take them but I'm not sure if that's a big enough boost for Gonzaga for them to make a move.

The MWC would probably take them but I'm not sure if that's a big enough boost for Gonzaga for them to make a move.
Ya the MWC makes sense now. Gonzaga may finally have to make that move.

I just hate that the MWC plays on cbs sports. If they get Gonzaga, then the WCC espn will have to go to the MWC too.

Reactions: duckboy33
Taking a huge hit in revenue. Therefore these schools have less money to spend on basketball.

Majority of these schools don’t care about the sport either.
Baylor would trade their NC in basketball to be competitive in football
Pretty much same with TX Tech. Was said my numerous people when Chris Beard left. They would take that so they can throw the money at football.

Unless these schools have a change of heart and go all in on basketball
You will see a slip.

All of them been hit
TCU, Baylor and Tx Tech
Even more so Tx Tech because it is in the sport you are talking about not women’s basketball or baseball.

People are vastly underestimating the direction the SEC is heading in basketball as well
We can say the opposite.

Additional revenue means that money has to go somewhere.
It is a conference where all sports matter. This idea that it only cares about football is completely ridiculous.
Especially once you start looking at the investment some of these schools have made in other sports.

Won’t be to long IMO and many others that the SEC will be trading spots with the B1G as the #1 conference
The difference in football and basketball is the B1G has basketball talent.
Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit and to a lesser extent Ohio

For the Big 12 it will be all about perception in the state of Texas.
Obviously those schools are lacking in fans but as of today it isn’t like football or especially baseball
UH, Baylor, Tech and Oklahoma State can recruit against the SEC in basketball

But long does this last.
Kinda have a feeling it may not
You can start seeing those schools losing recruits.
This will benefit some of these schools who may not have been doing well recently but have put the money forward to do so
Like a Miss State or even an Ole Miss.

Goes back to coaching.

Kelvin Sampson at any time could be visited by the NCAA
Jamie Dixon already tried to leave
Scott Drew may follow Kim Mulkey

To a lesser extent Ohio? The Big Ten gets way more talent from Ohio and Indiana that is does Milwaukee. Wtf kind of potato statement is that?

To a lesser extent Ohio? The Big Ten gets way more talent from Ohio and Indiana that is does Milwaukee. Wtf kind of potato statement is that?
Definitely a Michigan t shirt fan
Read the entire statement

I actually could have added a few other Wisconsin cities in there as well.
But…
Milwaukee was speaking for Kenosha just like Chicago was for Peoria or Detroit was for Flint

The reason why you shouldn’t post is I made a comment about football
Ohio produces football players unlike those other states

Definitely a Michigan t shirt fan
Read the entire statement

I actually could have added a few other Wisconsin cities in there as well.
But…
Milwaukee was speaking for Kenosha just like Chicago was for Peoria or Detroit was for Flint

The reason why you shouldn’t post is I made a comment about football
Ohio produces football players unlike those other states

There is no way Wisconsin has produced more talent than Ohio and Indiana.

There is no way Wisconsin has produced more talent than Ohio and Indiana.
Once again no one said they did
But they produce more basketball talent than football
Could have said Minneapolis. We got Jericho Sims from there

The reason Ohio is in another group is because of the football talent they produce.
Ohio is an anomaly in the Rust Belt for the most part but like the Rust Belt they have taken a hit as well
You still see basketball talent

Once again no one said they did
But they produce more basketball talent than football
Could have said Minneapolis. We got Jericho Sims from there

The reason Ohio is in another group is because of the football talent they produce.
Ohio is an anomaly in the Rust Belt for the most part but like the Rust Belt they have taken a hit as well
You still see basketball talent

Nice to see you admit when you’re wrong

Nice to see you admit when you’re wrong
???
You latched onto a statement without fully comprehending the meaning
I could have listed a few more states. Minnesota and Indiana. Don’t know enough about Iowa and Nebraska.

Like I said Ohio produces a good amount of football talent. Just no where close to the 4 main SEC talent producing states

But in basketball the B1G still has a good amount of talent

Low amount of rural black population unlike the SEC
More than that. They still play football in Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta and Miami

Don’t really know why HS Football wasn’t prioritize in the Midwest cities, Especially in the black communities

To show my point..
This cycle the state of Wisconsin has two Top 50 basketball players
Don’t ever remember a Top 50 football player from there. Most likely was but never were two in one year

This is the reason why basketball will be hard for any conference to dominate IMO
B1G has an edge on the SEC in overall following as well
A good number of schools who are similar to Penn State

We will see with UGA. Tom Crean actually still has a fighting chance
But I was thinking he could turn it around because of Wheeler

It will be hard because the revenue of any conference besides those two. That revenue
Plus they have larger voices as well because of their fan followings

Goes back to my point in regards to the Big 12
If it comes down to it they will cut the funding for basketball over football.
Unless they want to head another direction

ADVERTISEMENT