ADVERTISEMENT

#Nba2Lou Movement Firing Backup

bkingUK

Sep 23, 2007
You can't stop a revolution. We will never give up. No is not an answer. Defeat Big Cityocracy. Colonels will never die. Artis Gilmore made Samuel L Jackson look like a nerd. Dan Issel likes Kentucky better than Denver. Colonel Sanders was a son of a bitch, but had a good basketball team. etc.

Discuss passionately.

I try to tell anyone that will listen that we could handle an NBA team. I would go to games. I would definitely support the team and adopt them as my own.

Most of the resistance seems to come form Cards fans.

I try to tell anyone that will listen that we could handle an NBA team. I would go to games. I would definitely support the team and adopt them as my own.

Most of the resistance seems to come form Cards fans.
OKC is a similar size to Louisville and they are easily able to handle an NBA team. They bring in a lot of fans. Of course, inheriting a playoff team that made the NBA Finals in just 4 years certainly helped with that.

I’m not so sure Louisville would get a team over Kansas City. I’ve heard rumblings about them trying to bring the NBA back into town and their population is nearly 1,000,000 more. That’s a pretty damn big number when considering that.

Who do most people in Louisville tend to follow anyways?

Reactions: JimboBBN
OKC is a similar size to Louisville and they are easily able to handle an NBA team. They bring in a lot of fans. Of course, inheriting a playoff team that made the NBA Finals in just 4 years certainly helped with that.

I’m not so sure Louisville would get a team over Kansas City. I’ve heard rumblings about them trying to bring the NBA back into town and their population is nearly 1,000,000 more. That’s a pretty damn big number when considering that.

Louisville metro is 1,000,000+ (1.4 million+ in 2010 census in geographical area) and the closest NBA team to the south is Memphis. Pacers are 2 hours away, but the 4 million+ population of Kentucky will lineup behind the Colonels. Plus, Kansas City sucks. Cincinnati doesn't even like Cleveland. We claim them too.

You have to have your own reasons to pick pro teams around here. A lot of people stick to closer teams and others stick to traditional powers.

NFL - Colts, Bengals, Cowboys, Steelers
NBA - Indiana, Lakers, Boston, whoever LBJ is with
Baseball - Reds are the biggest one, followed by Boston/New York

Louisville and the surrounding areas, most of the state in fact, are very passionate about basketball in general. We would be fine filling the Yum! most nights.

It makes sense financially for the city and building especially. Where you will find the most push back is U of L

Reactions: schoonerwest
Louisville metro is 1,000,000+ and the closest NBA team to the south is Memphis. Pacers are 2 hours away, but the 4 million+ population of Kentucky will lineup behind the Colonels. Plus, Kansas City sucks. Cincinnati doesn't even like Cleveland. We claim them too.
Kansas City brings in Kansas and Missouri population. That’s 9 million. There’s a much larger market to tap into there than just a bunch of northerners who think that they’re southerners in Louisville.

You have to have your own reasons to pick pro teams around here. A lot of people stick to closer teams and others stick to traditional powers.

NFL - Colts, Bengals, Cowboys, Steelers
NBA - Indiana, Lakers, Boston, whoever LBJ is with
Baseball - Reds are the biggest one, followed by Boston/New York

Louisville and the surrounding areas, most of the state in fact, are very passionate about basketball in general. We would be fine filling the Yum! most nights.

It makes sense financially for the city and building especially. Where you will find the most push back is U of L
Seattle makes the most sense if you really think about it.

Kansas City brings in Kansas and Missouri population. That’s 9 million. There’s a much larger market to tap into there than just a bunch of northerners who think that they’re southerners in Louisville.

St. Louis is a different country than Kansas City. But here's the rub.... Nashville and Cincinnati are closer to Louisville than St. Louis is Kansas City. Neither have NBA teams.

NBA will likely expand at least 4 teams in future years. Seattle is the lock.

You’d be surprised. Southern Indiana and the surrounding counties all find themselves in Louisville at some point during the week. It wouldn’t be the largest market by any means but there’s no reason to believe it wouldn’t do as well as Kansas City.

I have no knowledge on how or why they pick teams. Louisville would be a good choice, imo. If they’re picking 4 new teams like Bk says then why not Louisville?

I do think owners have a say though. I remember Mark Cuban lobbying pretty hard to keep the NBA out of OKC because that market tends to root for Dallas teams over other franchises.

The NBA is eventually going to leave OKC IMO. That city has never known a bad NBA team, we'll see how the franchise and fans react to losing or missing on a couple draft picks. Guys like KD and Westbrook aren't easy finds.

Seattle should be a lock, but the city is doing everything they can to screw it up.

The NBA is eventually going to leave OKC IMO. That city has never known a bad NBA team, we'll see how the franchise and fans react to losing or missing on a couple draft picks. Guys like KD and Westbrook aren't easy finds.

Seattle should be a lock, but the city is doing everything they can to screw it up.
Maybe. It will probably be awhile before they did leave though. I think they’d have to strike out on all of their first round picks and never be in playoff contention for the next 10 years before they got to the point where they actually left for a bigger market. We’ll see.

Louisville metro is 1,000,000+ (1.4 million+ in 2010 census in geographical area) and the closest NBA team to the south is Memphis. Pacers are 2 hours away, but the 4 million+ population of Kentucky will lineup behind the Colonels. Plus, Kansas City sucks. Cincinnati doesn't even like Cleveland. We claim them too.

What sucks about KC, relative to these other cities?

Not to mention it’s full of basketball fanatics.

I’d like to see it in Louisville, but I could see Seattle getting a team again before Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT