ADVERTISEMENT

Most Devastating Loss You’ve Handed Another Team

Most recent loss that was the toughest was a couple years ago when we choked away that 20 point lead against the Zion lead Duke team. Lol also losing on free throws. Probably the hardest loss to swallow I’ve experienced in a decade.
I watched that. I was pissed.

Reactions: UL_1986
Austin Rivers beating us at the buzzer in the Dean Dome.
Kris Jenkins beating us at the buzzer in the 2016 title game.
Luke Maye hitting the game winner against UK in the 2017 FF and you know what happened after that. Winking

Reactions: tarwhiz
Wins:
2002--Duke. SW 16. Down by 17 at one point.....
1987 over 37-1 UNLV in Final FOur. Dudes were so cocky
1984 vs UNC in SW 16.....MJ, Perkins.....#1.
1992 Elite 8 vs UCLA....Complete beat down. They killed us early in the year. Talked serious smack leading up to Reg. Final----IU beat that ass, 106-79.

Losses---

1975 vs UK. I was 3. Don't remember. But losing Scott May probably cost IU back to back titles.
1984 vs UVA, Elite 8. Had just beaten #1 UNC. Had one point lead, with the ball. 1:33 left, an Dakich gets ripped....UVA takes lead. We miss shot at the end.
1992---Duke. Man.....Man....Man...
1993 --Kansas Elite 8. If, if, if.....Henderson getting hurt. That IU team was just dominant as the season went on....17-1 in a loaded Big 10. The Henderson gets hurt in late Feb.

Wins:
1992 Elite 8 vs UCLA....Complete beat down. They killed us early in the year. Talked serious smack leading up to Reg. Final----IU beat that ass, 106-79.

Losses---

1975 vs UK. I was 3. Don't remember. But losing Scott May probably cost IU back to back titles.
1984 vs UVA, Elite 8. Had just beaten #1 UNC. Had one point lead, with the ball. 1:33 left, an Dakich gets ripped....UVA takes lead. We miss shot at the end.
1993 --Kansas Elite 8. If, if, if.....Henderson getting hurt. That IU team was just dominant as the season went on....17-1 in a loaded Big 10. The Henderson gets hurt in late Feb.
I think the 2013 loss to Syracuse has to be on there… no one expected that.

Devastating to whom? Illinois whooping Michigan's ass was devastating to the Walmart Wolverine contingent, but I don't think it registers on an all-time scale for Illinois.

2004 beating #1 Wake Forest has to be up there.
The only correct Illinois answer is ‘Zona in ‘05.

I think the 2013 loss to Syracuse has to be on there… no one expected that.
That team was really good. But when I saw the draw, I was praying Syracuse would lose. Just knew we'd have no clue how to handle that zone. But yes, that loss still stings. We would have smashed Marquette in Elite 8...FF would have been a toss up...Beating Michigan for a 3rd time would have been tough...Had we done so, I do think we beat Louisville.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
They were good but not sure they had the better team that point in the season. We did make the title game. And we beat them twice that year.
We were ranked/seeded higher, yall did beat us earlier in rupp.

The main reason that game hurts so bad to UL fans were bc the refs were atrocious. Had we just shot terribly or UK was on fire and beat us ok, but the zebras were criminal in my obviously biased opinion.

Well Also our ft shooting esp our best player, a combo guard russ smith missing like half his fts doesnt help smdh.

Ima go against the grain.

In hs football we played Heath high school in paducah on the 10th anniversary of their school shooting, and it was homecoming as well oddly enough and we were up 42-0 at halftime 😂

Won 63-0, and we werent THAT much better than them.

On the other end of the spectrum, a year or two earlier We went to ft cambell the week after 9/11 and beat them 56-0, but there wasnt mich joy taken in that obv. Kudos to those kids for even playing that game tbh. We werent allowed to bring any bags/equipment and had to wear full pads the entire bus ride up there, helmets on once we got to the gate and we were vigorously checked by guards/military police with assault rifles before they let us in the gates.

Another game that stings is the elite 8 game vs Michigan state in 2015. That one sucked. Should’ve made the f4 that year. We had such a solid team that year too. Trezz, Rozier, and Onuaku.

Reactions: Steelers2012
What we know is that every time Kansas loses, it’s the biggest win of the season for that team, and very likely one of their biggest all-time.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
i was at that game. sitting right next to a group of kansas fans. the look on their faces when me and my buddies were yelling “come on cal put a 30 piece on em” towards the end…i thought they might fight us lol.

games at the beginning of the season are never live or die though. i’m sure they were over it by the time they got home tbh.
Umm no. My diehard buddy and I literally didn’t speak the entire second half. I was so ****ing pissed I would have fired self afterwards. It was unreal. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

Reactions: Montana81
From a psychological standpoint it was Kentucky's 2014 win over UL in the tourney.

What was left of the rivalry pretty much died that day.

That’s why you ducked us twice in the last 4 years?

"Ignored" would probably be a better description.

We played much better programs than Michigan over the last 4 years, and played them often.

When it comes to programs like Michigan, Cal is going to do what's best for Cal. We don't really gain anything from playing you so no reason to go out of our way. It is what it is.

"Ignored" would probably be a better description.

We played much better programs than Michigan over the last 4 years, and played them often.

When it comes to programs like Michigan, Cal is going to do what's best for Cal. We don't really gain anything from playing you so no reason to go out of our way. It is what it is.

Ducked. Twice.

Ducked. Twice.

Honestly i think Cal is in desperation mode now. and it’s not just to win. He’s determined to prove that he can keep winning HIS way. Changing assistants was one thing but he’s gonna keep trying to recruit his starting lineup every year instead of developing guys in the program over a few years to be ready to start by the time their juniors and seniors like other successful programs. and with young teams that means he’s gotta avoid overly difficult schedules.

I just don’t see it personally. i think he’ll keep winning a lot of games. but we’re always gonna be a botched recruiting class and a mass exodus away from another NIT or worse season. I can’t see us winning another title that way. I think this season is probably going to be our best chance for a while. especially with it sounding like shaedon sharpe is going to play the second semester of THIS season and then bolt for the league.

/ tangent

I don’t even know who that is. Seems to have really left a mark on you though. I must’ve been on my troll game.

It would’ve been fun to play you guys in the 2017/18 Final Four or this year on December 4th. Both were set up nicely.

Nice deflection. You can remember a random final four prediction from the Duke potato but don't remember the thread you made? Sure, Jan.

Reactions: UL_1986
When freshman Hansbrough went into Cameron ( Before the renaming to Hansbrough Indoor Stadium) and smacked top seed Dook on Sheldon Williams and J.J. Senior night.😎

Reactions: AWilli6995
Wins:

Losses---

Kansas beat IU twice that season

We were ranked/seeded higher, yall did beat us earlier in rupp.

The main reason that game hurts so bad to UL fans were bc the refs were atrocious. Had we just shot terribly or UK was on fire and beat us ok, but the zebras were criminal in my obviously biased opinion.

Well Also our ft shooting esp our best player, a combo guard russ smith missing like half his fts doesnt help smdh.

I didnt really think the officiating was so lopsided in that game but i did feel like we caught a lot of breaks down the stretch. the missed foul on the missed mathiang put back, andrew stepping on the line on a drive and dish and harrell picking up a couple of really cheap fouls.

Could be a complete domination where you put a team in their place, or a complete heartbreaker for them that just destroyed that fanbase.
Duke in the Elite 8 to stop Zion and RJ was just so satisfying. That team was great, but goddamn ESPN was all over their nutsack and we just struggle with Duke generally. It just felt great in that year to hold them out of even making it to the Final Four. Special add on that our former walk on hit the clutch 3 over Zion. But the game that followed that was just as devastating for us.

Knocking out 1 and 2 seed Virginia teams as a 4 and 7 seed in back to back years was fun.

I’m sure there are more those were just off the top of my head and somewhat recent.
2013 at texas
2014 and 2015 bama
2014 A&M

worst losses
2014 Arkansas
2013 Texas A&M

You seem to be pretty upset about it, which just proves my point.

Kentucky fans don’t really remember or care about having a regular season game scheduled with Michigan.

You ducked us in the 2017/18 tournament. I would’ve like the rematch but Cal purposely lost to Kansas State because she was afraid of Loyola-Chicago and Michigan.

2018…lol. Was that the year Michigan finally put it all together and won a national championship?

Cheer up buddy, at least you aren’t Tennessee - they’ve been playing basketball for a hundred years and can’t even make a Final Four.

I'd probably lean to this game:

Crazy the back and forth and the shots made in that game. And the "controversial" foul called that gave Carsen Edwards free throws to send it to OT were the icing. It really showed the true nature of the Vol fan base.

And then there is this shot by our slow white guard over their All American:

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Auburn fans are still talking about the double dribble and it's the sweetest thing ever. Plus, look how far Auburn has crumbled since that loss. Purdue and Texas Tech are still in pretty good shape.
With a cheater as a head coach at that. Cannot stand Pearl, but I have to give it to him he took the loss well in the interview after the game.

Kansas beat IU twice that season
Well aware of that....Indiana was a different monster from that Dec 5th game. Not to mention, Henderson was limited inthat game(foul trouble). Plus, IU couldn't make a FT to save their lives(4-14).

Certainly not a given we beat KU in the Elite 8(with Henderson). But the way that team was playing, and the way Henderson was rollin'----I'd sure liked to have had the kid.

IU lost 4 games that year: Twice to Kansas(74-69, 83-77), UK 81-78 and at Ohio State 81-77(only B10 loss).

Plus, that was a monster Final Four....UNC, UK, Michigan and KU. All 1 seeds, except for KU(2).

Reactions: tarwhiz
I didnt really think the officiating was so lopsided in that game but i did feel like we caught a lot of breaks down the stretch. the missed foul on the missed mathiang put back, andrew stepping on the line on a drive and dish and harrell picking up a couple of really cheap fouls.
Yea hancock and harrell both fouled out with 2 fouls each that were completely garbage. Ill always be biased about it, obviously, but i thought it was terribly officiated, esp bc the bs calls that went against us went against harrell and hancock, 2 of our most important players as well as Obv russ. Changed the game completely imo (biased)

But alas it was long ago. Something or nother about spilt milk.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
DavisYells-1.gif
Very few people in life are ugly as ****. AD is

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT