ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

A UM fan came in right before we closed and it was worth it on on different levels. I sometimes drop hints to see if they're a sports fan, and dude just went full loco on Hardaway and actually said, he thinks getting f$cked by a salesman was better than watching the game.

I obligated. He didn't like me putting on my UK hat when leaving.

I am of the firm belief that you should never hire a former great player as a coach. There are a few examples where it works but overall always seems to fail.
It doesn't work because the former great player doesn't put the time in to truly learn the game.

The hardest part of coaching is "development".

Not recruiting, and all that other stuff. If you can't do the basic x's and o's........it stands out in your team's play.

You can recruit 5 star players across the board. But if you can't mold/develop them into a cohesive unit.......anyone can beat you when things start to go sideways and the shots aren't falling.

I believe former great players could have the ability to one day become legit HC's.

Might be helpful if they learn their craft at lower levels prior to taking on more high profile jobs or at least spend significant time as assistants at the college or pro level.

Penny coached HS only right? Juwaan was an assistant for awhile in the NBA, better prepared maybe. Hubert Davis long time assistant at UNC is that right?

It all depends.

I'll say this Memphis is a very tough job. Others may know a little more about that area but I believe they have a rabid fanbase but they got left out on the conference realignment, making that job tough.

I believe former great players could have the ability to one day become legit HC's.

Might be helpful if they learn their craft at lower levels prior to taking on more high profile jobs or at least spend significant time as assistants at the college or pro level.

Penny coached HS only right? Juwaan was an assistant for awhile in the NBA, better prepared maybe. Hubert Davis long time assistant at UNC is that right?

It all depends.

I'll say this Memphis is a very tough job. Others may know a little more about that area but I believe they have a rabid fanbase but they got left out on the conference realignment, making that job tough.
Penny was a HS/AAU coach prior to Memphis. He's been very active in youth basketball for a long time. Built a huge youth sports complex in Memphis prior to becoming Head coach. He loves Memphis, he's everything Memphis. Memphis is everything Penny. It's tough to watch this city lose when there's so much love.

The fans that can't let Calipari go are the ones I have issue with. My coworkers are 90% Memphis fans. They know I'm a UK fan (I don't flaunt it at work unless they ask). I've had multiple strangers approach my wife and I in restaurants souly b/c I'm wearing a UK hat. My wife is a good sport and doesn't mind when I invite their party to join what would be a table for two and then foot the bill. I try and let them know UK/UK fans are not the bad guy. Calipari took the better dream job.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdbearde
Penny is the reason. FedEx supplied the money, they brought in Brown to be an assistant. They have a fanbase that's loud and raucous. They don't have a coach with an on court plan. Zero identity. It really does look like AAU ball against college ball.

Penny is HEATED. Dude is always making excuses. We don't have our full roster, blah blah blah. Whiny little bitch that can never take responsibility for anything. Bruh, you've been getting kicked around all year and it doesn't have anything to do with having a limited roster. It is rather amusing to see him go from being the most beloved dude in the history of Memphis sports to the community turning on him and wanting to burn him at the stake. I see an ugly divorce coming.

Penny was a HS/AAU coach prior to Memphis. He's been very active in youth basketball for a long time. Built a huge youth sports complex in Memphis prior to becoming Head coach. He loves Memphis, he's everything Memphis. Memphis is everything Penny. It's tough to watch this city lose when there's so much love.

The fans that can't let Calipari go are the ones I have issue with. My coworkers are 90% Memphis fans. They know I'm a UK fan (I don't flaunt it at work unless they ask). I've had multiple strangers approach my wife and I in restaurants souly b/c I'm wearing a UK hat. My wife is a good sport and doesn't mind when I invite their party to join what would be a table for two and then foot the bill. I try and let them know UK/UK fans are not the bad guy. Calipari took the better dream job.
Memphis fans need to realize what they actually are as a program. They are a mid major program that can thrive. They don’t have a seat at the big boy table and don’t appear that they will anytime soon

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Being part of the mid-major tier is challenging. But, if you have the coaching and pipeline to the players you can still put out a consistent product. Gonzaga, Houston have been doing it. Some others flashing like Loyola and BYU. We saw Wich St get it done for a sustained period. We saw Memphis do it a decade ago too. Cincy has the pieces. So it can be done.

Memphis has enough of a foundation to do it again. But it looks like the coaching just ain't there for Penny. AAU is just a different style completely from the structure of college.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
^^^*Totally agree, alot harder being a mid major in football imo.

Hasnt been hurting gonzaga 🤷‍♂️

Penny is HEATED. Dude is always making excuses. We don't have our full roster, blah blah blah. Whiny little bitch that can never take responsibility for anything. Bruh, you've been getting kicked around all year and it doesn't have anything to do with having a limited roster. It is rather amusing to see him go from being the most beloved dude in the history of Memphis sports to the community turning on him and wanting to burn him at the stake. I see an ugly divorce coming.
He should have went with, they don't poop ice cream.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I've said it before and I'll say it again. They'll build a statue for this man.

Not if he doesn’t start winning. They ran pastner off and he was a far better coach than penny has shown
They ran Tubby off due to rumors of Calipari hiring Penny as an assistant. Calipari ruined a lot of psyches.

He has that affect on folks. Penny will have a statue. He's Memphis. It could turn out to be a great story.

I just stare and listen to ppl tell me about Calipari. They know better than me. I've only studied the guy since he won at UMASS. Super glad he took the Memphis job, and watched it all unfold from there. From front row seats. Box seats if you will.

Should be a great game. Two very charismatic coaches with two very good teams.

Reactions: GE Nole
I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but you’re spot on.
pretty easy for you to see. Afterall, like me, you've experienced having Pat Kennedy as a coach.

The sad thing is, unlike you, I'd give anything to have him back.

• Haha
Reactions: GE Nole
Man I really thought Larry Brown was going to help Memphis. The Penny experiment may come to and sooner rather than later

Danny Manning
Chris Mullin
Dan Majerle
Penny Hardaway

All great players. Not great (barely good) college coaches.

Matt Painter is a pretty good coach but was only a good college player.

I don't think Bobby Knight was considered a great player even though he won 2 Nattys as a player at Ohio State. Great coach though.

Kevin Ollie was a pretty good player but got lucky as a coach with Calhoun's recruits. Not a great coach.

Billy Donovan is a very good coach but was not a great player.

Anybody? Name a great player who was a very good coach in college. Anybody?

Danny Manning
Chris Mullin
Dan Majerle
Penny Hardaway

All great players. Not great (barely good) college coaches.

Matt Painter is a pretty good coach but was only a good college player.

I don't think Bobby Knight was considered a great player even though he won 2 Nattys as a player at Ohio State. Great coach though.

Kevin Ollie was a pretty good player but got lucky as a coach with Calhoun's recruits. Not a great coach.

Billy Donovan is a very good coach but was not a great player.

Anybody? Name a great player who was a very good coach in college. Anybody?
Pitino was supposedly a pretty good college player, not nba good tho.

actually maybe im thinking of donovan playing for pitino idk im not that old

Pitino was supposedly a pretty good college player, not nba good tho.

actually maybe im thinking of donovan playing for pitino idk im not that old
Donovan was a fantastic college player. Carried a nothing special Providence to team to the F4.

Donovan was a fantastic college player. Carried a nothing special Providence to team to the F4.
I guess my question was what college coaches were really good pros. There were a lot of good pros who didn't pan out as college coaches. I agree Donovan was pretty good college player, but he never made it as a pro and turned to coaching.

John Wooden was a very good college player...way back...but I don't even know if he made a nickel as a professional player.

I'm trying to come up with a very good pro player who had success coaching college basketball. Honestly, I can't think of one. You could even argue Penny Hardaway may be the best.....which isn't saying much.

Paul Westphal was a 5x NBA All Star - won a title as a HC at the NAIA level with Grand Canyon.

Took Pepperdine to the NCAAT. RIP.

I thought maybe, just maybe Isiah Thomas might have been better suited to be a college coach than @ the NBA level. I know he had a losing record but he was coaching in a challenging era and had very little experience prior to taking on those jobs. Guess he wasn't interested in the college game.

Reactions: ThatsMrSpartan2U
I thought Scott Skiles might have been a good college coach. However, I don’t think he earned his college degree. I’m not sure, but think most universities require one to coach.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
ADVERTISEMENT