ADVERTISEMENT

L Vick

He’s a very good player, that said I think at best he’s drafted early second round.

What's the story on that?

Giddens was charged with battery and disorderly conduct. It was a melee and every eyewitness account was different.

The story I heard at the time was that some punk was hot over Giddens chatting with a girl he was interested in. He confronted him and was kicked out of the bar. Then he waited in the parking lot until closing time. When Giddens and his friends left the bar, a brawl ensued and the result was Giddens getting stabbed multiple times.

Self kicked him off the team.

He also dismissed a talented forward for reportedly grabbing a girl by the hair.

Add in the fact that one of the major knocks on Self is that he hurts himself in recruiting by not giving talented freshmen the minutes they expect, and the "talent outweighs everything else" argument looks pretty weak.

Giddens was charged with battery and disorderly conduct. It was a melee and every eyewitness account was different.

The story I heard at the time was that some punk was hot over Giddens chatting with a girl he was interested in. He confronted him and was kicked out of the bar. Then he waited in the parking lot until closing time. When Giddens and his friends left the bar, a brawl ensued and the result was Giddens getting stabbed multiple times.

Self kicked him off the team.

He also dismissed a talented forward for reportedly grabbing a girl by the hair.

Add in the fact that one of the major knocks on Self is that he hurts himself in recruiting by not giving talented freshmen the minutes they expect, and the "talent outweighs everything else" argument looks pretty weak.
Thanks. I hadn't heard that before.

Thanks. I hadn't heard that before.

That was back in 2005. Giddens was a trouble maker even before he came to KU. Was arrested for shoplifting at Wal-Mart as a senior in high school. Heard of him being a problem on the team while at KU internally then the Moon Bar incident was the last straw for Self and he booted him. Worked out long term because it opened a scholarship for Brandon Rush.

Self gives players 1-2 more chances. If they continue to be a problem though Self will boot them from the team. He's done it in the past (see Giddens, Giles, and Tharpe) but talent does play a part in how far their leash is. Was incredibly surprised by Self letting Vick return. From everything I had heard Self was at his wits end with Vick and Vick got more chances than most.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
That was back in 2005. Giddens was a trouble maker even before he came to KU. Was arrested for shoplifting at Wal-Mart as a senior in high school. Heard of him being a problem on the team while at KU internally then the Moon Bar incident was the last straw for Self and he booted him. Worked out long term because it opened a scholarship for Brandon Rush.

Self gives players 1-2 more chances. If they continue to be a problem though Self will boot them from the team. He's done it in the past (see Giddens, Giles, and Tharpe) but talent does play a part in how far their leash is. Was incredibly surprised by Self letting Vick return. From everything I had heard Self was at his wits end with Vick and Vick got more chances than most.
Vick has gotten the leash because he hasn’t had any legal troubles.

You have to remember some of these kids needs basketball structure more than the coaches needed them. You want to give kids chances to learn and grow up. It helps with a successful life after basketball. But obviously There is a point where enough is enough.

Hung out with Giddens at a party once. Seemed really laid-back.

Never heard that there were any internal issues before the Moon Bar.

ADVERTISEMENT