ADVERTISEMENT

Key injuries not reflected by Kenpom?

hailtoyourvictor

Dec 11, 2012
Kenpom is a good tool to use to help with brackets, but it doesn’t account for players that were injured and now are back or players that played most of the season and now injured. Who are some teams where the current roster may not be accurately reflected by their Kenpom rating?

Possibly Texas Tech because they had some key injuries for a few games and played much worse than normal. Should be healthy again

Reactions: TechRaiderRider
The biggest unknown is if Michael Porter Jr can shake the rust and live up to his preseason hype. He played 2 minutes of game 1 and 23 minutes in the SEC tournament game. Considering many thought him as good or better than Bagley and Ayton, he could have the biggest imact of all players returning from injury.

Or the long layoff could be too hard to shake and they could get bounced by Florida State.

Not in a good way. They lost McLemore but he's not coming back. They haven't really lost anyone else. Bryce Brown missed 1 game and Mustapha Heron missed 2.

I think both ways are important. Teams that may not be as good as the team that earned this rating because the roster took a hit can be upset candidates or good fades.

Will be interesting to see how Vince Edwards' ankle is doing. Said he was less than 70% after the B10 championship game.

I think both ways are important. Teams that may not be as good as the team that earned this rating because the roster took a hit can be upset candidates or good fades.
Well, in that case, Indiana lost De'Ron Davis....oh wait.....never mind.

On the other hand, KU loses Dok for a minimum of three games. This gave three prime games for Silvio to develop and he did as KU won the Big 12 Tourney. This gives KU a badly needed big. this give KU a solid 8-9 man rotation of 4 bigs and 5 guards.

@boilerzz give me some more teams that lost players who won’t play this weekend
The other big one I can think of right now is Clemson losing Donthe Grantham. Dude was a stud and they are just 7-6 since losing him.

I know A&M lost a couple of reserves but I'm not sure how much they mattered.

TCU lost Jaylen Fisher for the year.

USC lost Bennie Boatwright for the year. I was shocked USC didn't make the tournament - always assumed they were in safely. Losing Boatwright certainly didn't help their cause.

... obviously Michael Porter Jr, too. But Barnett is out for the 1st game after the DWI arrest.

Reactions: KisteK
Possibly Texas Tech because they had some key injuries for a few games and played much worse than normal. Should be healthy again

Keenan Evans still didn't look healthy in the big12 tourney. He didn't even help dribble the ball up vs WVA press.

The other big one I can think of right now is Clemson losing Donthe Grantham. Dude was a stud and they are just 7-6 since losing him.

I know A&M lost a couple of reserves but I'm not sure how much they mattered.

you're missing about 9 other key injuries.

Not in a good way. They lost McLemore but he's not coming back. They haven't really lost anyone else. Bryce Brown missed 1 game and Mustapha Heron missed 2.

Unfortunately for us, McLemore was the one guy we couldn't afford to lose. He lead the SEC in blocks and rebounding and still does even after missing 6-7 games. He also had the ability to free up the lanes for our guards since he was a very good 3 point shooter that teams had to respect. Now, due to suspensions and injuries, we have no offensive post presence and are now the smallest team in all of Power 5. And, we really are now forced to play just 7 guys. In other words, we are just a shell of ourselves from when we started 23-3...

Still a surprisingly good season considering the circumstances and look to be better next year.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Unfortunately for us, McLemore was the one guy we couldn't afford to lose. He lead the SEC in blocks and rebounding and still does even after missing 6-7 games. He also had the ability to free up the lanes for our guards since he was a very good 3 point shooter that teams had to respect. Now, due to suspensions and injuries, we have no offensive post presence and are now the smallest team in all of Power 5. And, we really are now forced to play just 7 guys. In other words, we are just a shell of ourselves from when we started 23-3...

Still a surprisingly good season considering the circumstances and look to be better next year.

Where will you have Auburn losing?

We are enigma right now. We have the ability to have elite guard play with Harper, Heron, and Brown, but Brown is still hobbled as well with his foot and shoulder issues and is struggling mightily.

With that said, I could theoretically seeing us losing the first game but also see us getting hot and playing with house money against the Jayhawks. We have to live and die by the 3 now...

Despite their injury and poor finish to the season, Auburn received a gift from the selection committee. They're in the same sub region as Clemson, another team that had a major injury to their key big man a few weeks ago and has struggled to maintain form.

So Auburn in the sweet 16 is definitely a strong possibility. I expect they'll meet Kansas at that point and that will be the end of it for the Tigers (if they get that far).

Despite their injury and poor finish to the season, Auburn received a gift from the selection committee. They're in the same sub region as Clemson, another team that had a major injury to their key big man a few weeks ago and has struggled to maintain form.

So Auburn in the sweet 16 is definitely a strong possibility. I expect they'll meet Kansas at that point and that will be the end of it for the Tigers (if they get that far).

I never heard your picks for the Elite 8 going forward. You sounded awfully confident that you would make easy money off of me if we were in the same tournament pool.

I never heard your picks for the Elite 8 going forward. You sounded awfully confident that you would make easy money off of me if we were in the same tournament pool.

haven't gotten that far, still working on my bracket. Don't usually finish it until Wednesday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT