ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas/Refs Pull out a close one vs Iowa State

Obvious goaltend and ISU lost by 1. Curious to hear Kansas fans gloss over this with the “lots of calls are missed during a course of a game” excuse.

Was a terrible missed call that seemed obvious even in live play. I’d be livid too if I was an ISU fan about that missed call. The fact that that call is still not reviewable or challengeable by the coach is ridiculous.

That said I’ve been watching sports for 30 plus years. Missed calls. bad calls, and human error are part of the game and don’t apologize one but for it happening. Karma usually eventually hits back with a similar missed call or this is karma for a previously missed call against KU.

Was a terrible missed call that seemed obvious even in live play. I’d be livid too if I was an ISU fan about that missed call. The fact that that call is still not reviewable or challengeable by the coach is ridiculous.

That said I’ve been watching sports for 30 plus years. Missed calls. bad calls, and human error are part of the game and don’t apologize one but for it happening. Karma usually eventually hits back with a similar missed call or this is karma for a previously missed call against KU.
When you say “human error” is part of the game, why does “human error” occur at a higher rate at The Phog? Exhibit 1A:

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say “human error” is part of the game, why does “human error” occur at a hjgher rate at The Phog? Exhibit 1A:

Like rupp is any better 🤣

rupp cameron allen fieldhouse, dean dome. All the bluebloods have big time home court advantages, and hell u could argue due to their historical success theyve earned it to a degree.

rupp cameron allen fieldhouse, dean dome. All the bluebloods have big time home court advantages, and hell u could argue due to their historical success theyve earned it to a degree.
A few years ago someone posted the numbers for home foul disparities among the top programs. Wish I could find it. Duke was #1 by a mile, followed by Kentucky and then KU.

Are you willing to concede that had that call were not made, Iowa State would have won the game? They ended up losing by 1.

No because the strategy of the game changes if the correct call is made for both ISU and KU. Maybe KU is more aggressive on the next possession looking to score only up 2. If you have ISU hitting a 3 still the next possession then KU is down 1 on offense and Self calls a timeout to set up an offensive play instead of KU running normally leading to an illegal screen. Unless the call is missed right at the buzzer you just never know what would have happened after a missed call because strategies and plays change so much.

Thought the flagrant and goaltend were bad calls. The goaltend was inexcusable to the extent that there should possibly be some repucussions for those guys. They announcers said they could review it within two minutes. If so it is even more baffling. Regardless, you can't say for sure Iowa State wins if either are not made.

The missed goaltending call happened with 1:48, so there's no way I'm conceding the game to ISU. The missed goaltend was bad and yes, it was inexcusable.

Thought the flagrant and goaltend were bad calls. The goaltend was inexcusable to the extent that there should possibly be some repucussions for those guys. They announcers said they could review it within two minutes. If so it is even more baffling. Regardless, you can't say for sure Iowa State wins if either are not made.

The flagrant was an awful call too. Hate that incidental contact is called a flagrant. KU has been on the wrong end of those incidental contact calls being flagrant calls than on the good side the last few years.

That said in the end the hit hurt KU more than the free 2 points helped. JCL’s shooting helped space the floor and his activity on defense really helped KU to start the 2nd half off strong. Offense started to stutter again when JCL left for the game.

Reactions: wesr
The flagrant was an awful call too. Hate that incidental contact is called a flagrant. KU has been on the wrong end of those incidental contact calls being flagrant calls than on the good side the last few years.

That said in the end the hit hurt KU more than the free 2 points helped. JCL’s shooting helped space the floor and his activity on defense really helped KU to start the 2nd half off strong. Offense started to stutter again when JCL left for the game.

Yeah, when he went out I wondered if it could change up the game.

Are you willing to concede that had that call were not made, Iowa State would have won the game? They ended up losing by 1.
Well, ISU also missed 5 Free throws, shot 32% from three(6-19), had 12 turnovers and shot 40% overall from the floor...

But sure---that ONE call is what beat Iowa State

Reactions: RockChalkRally
Obvious goaltend and ISU lost by 1. Curious to hear Kansas fans gloss over this with the “lots of calls are missed during a course of a game” excuse.

A new UK fan!

Welcome brother.

This board just got a little bit classier.

images

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I’m guessing it wasn’t nationally televised because Iowa State was not expected to be good this year.

A few years ago someone posted the numbers for home foul disparities among the top programs. Wish I could find it. Duke was #1 by a mile, followed by Kentucky and then KU.
That would have had to have only looked at the blue bloods. I don’t think KU has even been top 3 in the Big 12 more than a handful of times in the last decade. Admittedly it’s been a hot minute since I looked at it so maybe I’m off with recent years. Perception and reality don’t often align.

That would have had to have only looked at the blue bloods. I don’t think KU has even been top 3 in the Big 12 more than a handful of times in the last decade. Admittedly it’s been a hot minute since I looked at it so maybe I’m off with recent years. Perception and reality don’t often align.
Yeah, it did.

And that's what I've seen too. KU is generally around middle of the pack in the Big 12. This narrative is and has always been an attempt to find an excuse for KU's domination of the Big 12.

Unpaid players have to take questions but these clowns don't. It's incredible.

Reactions: Big_C_KU

The numbers I remember seeing only involved the Big 12 and that was from a few years ago. I wish I could find the article. KU was 3rd or 4th in the Big 12 foul discrepancy overall from like 2013 to 2019 (When WVU and TCU joined the conference). They weren’t #1 in their own conference. The foul discrepancy seemed to skew towards the teams that played more through the post in Big 12 like Kansas. The odd ball I remember being was Iowa State who shot a ton of perimeter shots but yet had a high foul discrepancy in their favor.

I remember the other half of the article looked at foul discrepancy at home vs away. KU was in the bottom half of this list as there wasn’t much difference in foul discrepancy for KU at home vs away. They believe there were one of only 2 teams who had a positive foul discrepancy both at home and away so read into that however you want. I would guess most of that comes from having the lead and getting fouled at the end of games. I remember WVU, OU, and ISU have crazy differences between the foul discrepancy at home vs the whistle they got on the road.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Did the five level one sanctions help them earn it?

I’d say it’s karma from a game a few years back where an ISU player literally put his hand through the rim to knock a shot out and it was missed by the refs. Lost a close one in Ames that day.

I’d say it’s karma from a game a few years back where an ISU player literally put his hand through the rim to knock a shot out and it was missed by the refs. Lost a close one in Ames that day.

Ha....forgot about that one.

Funny how no one creates a thread about it when it benefits Iowa St.

Remember the famous Marcus Smart flop? The elbow came a good two inches from touching him. That call usually goes against us.

The same ref crew for ISU vs KU was at TTU vs KSU. They missed another goaltend and it benefited Tech. But KSU won anyway still bad officiating.

It isn’t the name on the jersey. Yes refs do officiate poorly sometimes, but it isn’t the name on the jersey. It’s the crowd. Those teams fill the stands every single game. Loud and crazy crowds influence officials. So yeah, those teams have a great home court advantage and get calls that go their way at home. What people overlook, is the fact that those teams also play in hostile environments against teams that really only fill the stands against them. And as a result, they get the shaft on the road. So while these teams get beneficial officiating at home, they get crappy officiating on the road.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT