ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Scheyer over Tommy Amaker..

Scheyer has a better shot because he wasn't a great player though. Great players usually can't coach so that is two reasons it was a questionable hire.
Yeah, a PG who led Duke to a NC. At Duke. Yeah, he sucked.

I mean, Scheyer was a good player. He wasn't a great player though.

I mean, Scheyer was a good player. He wasn't a great player though.

Definitely disagree. Number nine all time scorer at Duke, with the second best assist:TO ratio in Duke history, 8th most steals in Duke history, fifth most double figure scoring games in Duke history, sixth best free throw shooter in ACC history, most consecutive games in Duke history, and third most career minutes in ACC history. Captain who led a title team in points, assists, steals, and free throw percentage, while playing more minutes in that season than any other player in ACC history. Was one of the top choices for national player of the year his senior year and was an All American.

Not a legend. But definitely great.

Definitely disagree. Number nine all time scorer at Duke, with the second best assist:TO ratio in Duke history, 8th most steals in Duke history, fifth most double figure scoring games in Duke history, sixth best free throw shooter in ACC history, most consecutive games in Duke history, and third most career minutes in ACC history. Captain who led a title team in points, assists, steals, and free throw percentage, while playing more minutes in that season than any other player in ACC history. Was one of the top choices for national player of the year his senior year and was an All American.

I also read he's great with the players.

Yeah, a great Duke player then. So that makes it even worse for you guys. Congrats.

Penny still is average though. Plus, he has made a crapload of mistakes he needed to make on a lower level, though at Memphis they are probably ok with being patient with him and letting him learn on the job.

Penny still is average though. Plus, he has made a crapload of mistakes he needed to make on a lower level, though at Memphis they are probably ok with being patient with him and letting him learn on the job.
Memphis is coming together. No one wants to see them come together at the right time.

Kind of like UNC.

Memphis is coming together. No one wants to see them come together at the right time.

Kind of like UNC.

Memphis looks better for sure.

UNC is not coming together IMO. They just look good against bad teams at times.

What is up with K btw? I hope he losses every game he plays in embarrassing fashion but don't want him to go out in bad health.

Jay Wright already said no to the 76ers he's clearly at his spot. Brad Stevens is in an NBA front office. Billy D is coaching the Bulls they are having a big year. Few would have left by now if he was interested too.

You are left with some off the grid choices or some guys that make a 2nd weekend run or two in March at jobs with less pressure.

I thought Amaker was real happy where he is.

Reactions: englandnu
Jay Wright already said no to the 76ers he's clearly at his spot. Brad Stevens is in an NBA front office. Billy D is coaching the Bulls they are having a big year. Few would have left by now if he was interested too.

You are left with some off the grid choices or some guys that make a 2nd weekend run or two in March at jobs with less pressure.

I thought Amaker was real happy where he is.
UL should give Payne some work so UK can poach him later.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
My choice was a guy like Holtmann. Someone in that range. If they had to stay in family it was someone else anyway though. Regardless, nothing to do but see how it works out.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Here's a short list of dudes with zero HC experience...

Stevens - Butler
Izzo - Mich St
Few - Gonzaga
Roy - KU
Lloyd - AZ

I see a couple other guys doing okay I'm sure this is where people start arguing for no reason. Howard had a hell of a year last year 1 seed E8 wins Big 10. Stackhouse has done okay with Vandy.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Stevens - Butler
Izzo - Mich St
Few - Gonzaga
Roy - KU
Lloyd - AZ

I see a couple other guys doing okay I'm sure this is where people start arguing for no reason. Howard had a hell of a year last year 1 seed E8 wins Big 10. Stackhouse has done okay with Vandy.
Crazy, but what's the chance we see Roy or K come out of retirement?

This field is terrible this year you get in there you gotta feel like you can win some games. They have been a laughing stock the entire year but if they get in there some teams in their pod may not like it. You just never know.
Seriously, mocking aside, no one is going to want to face them now.

Stevens - Butler
Izzo - Mich St
Few - Gonzaga
Roy - KU
Lloyd - AZ

Aren't you arguing for no reason as well here? Yeah, there are a few. There are probably a lot more that really struggle for a while. But only one of those is really even close to being the same as UNC (unless you count MSU and Zona) tbh and they were coming off probation when they hired their inexperienced coach. I just think it is reasonable at UNC to actually search for the best coach instead of predetermine who you are going to hire when the coach in charge notoriously runs every aspect of the program.

Stackhouse was my guy if they stayed in the family tbh.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Stevens - Butler
Izzo - Mich St
Few - Gonzaga
Roy - KU
Lloyd - AZ

Can you compare that to the list of guys who sucked ass?

Blown away at the way the Duke guys seem to do what they want and ignore Scheyer. He was telling his player to call a TO and the kid went on by and turned the ball over.

Aren't you arguing for no reason as well here? Yeah, there are a few. There are probably a lot more that really struggle for a while. But only one of those is really even close to being the same as UNC (unless you count MSU and Zona) tbh and they were coming off probation when they hired their inexperienced coach. I just think it is reasonable at UNC to actually search for the best coach instead of predetermine who you are going to hire when the coach in charge notoriously runs every aspect of the program.

Stackhouse was my guy if they stayed in the family tbh.
Dean Smith got hired by UNC as a guy with no head coaching experience.
Guth who had no head coaching experience.
Doherty had 1 year @ ND he ended up being awful
Jackpot on Roy that's the moons being aligned
Now Hubert TBD

In the last 60 years, 60% of your hires had 0 head coaching experience.

When I was talking about arguing for no reason I was specifically referencing people arguing against Juwan Howard for no reason because for whatever reason a lot of people like to trash him even though he had a big year last year.

K out the 2nd half and Duke has fell apart with Scheyer running the show. Good luck with that hire

Dean Smith got hired by UNC as a guy with no head coaching experience.
Guth who had no head coaching experience.
Doherty had 1 year @ ND he ended up being awful
Jackpot on Roy that's the moons being aligned
Now Hubert TBD

In the last 60 years, 60% of your hires had 0 head coaching experience.

When I was talking about arguing for no reason I was specifically referencing people arguing against Juwan Howard for no reason because for whatever reason a lot of people like to trash him even though he had a big year last year.

Too early for Juwan either way for sure. Last year was so good for him it's hard to just write him off for this year obviously.

Only Dean worked out of the no experienced hires and it is just a different time than then IMO. Like I said, nothing to do but let him make mistakes and hope it works out though.

Is it my tv or is the Duke coaching staff and students wearing baby blue colors?

Too early for Juwan either way for sure. Last year was so good for him it's hard to just write him off for this year obviously.

Only Dean worked out of the no experienced hires and it is just a different time than then IMO. Like I said, nothing to do but let him make mistakes and hope it works out though.
I'm not saying it's the best approach not sure why you thought it was an argument. Just pointing out it's not unprecedented to have a HC with no experience.

IU, Mich, AZ, Duke, UNC - recent openings filled with kinda unexpected path.. Louisville might go get a 55 year old assistant Kenny Payne who is on the Knicks bench with no HC experience.

I think lots of people just think there's a pool of candidates that ain't really there. You here people pump up the tOSU dude he may be fine. He lost 1st rd as a 2 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT