ADVERTISEMENT

IUfanBorden

uncfan in ky

Oct 23, 2008
@IUfanBorden I have a quick Baseball rules question for you. We played 14u tournament using high school rules. Was told our pitcher couldn’t use a red (solid red) glove. It’s not a bright red, more like a redwood color.
Is that a new rule? I know a pitcher can’t use white or grey gloves but I’ve never heard of red.
Our coach got upset & three a fit that they’re worrying about a damn glove color but letting 14 year olds use drop 5 bats.

Last edited:
Sorry, just saw this. Not to my knowledge. Did umpires say it was illegal b/c it was red? Or did they "toss it out" because they felt it was distracting? Here in Indiana, glove cannot have white or gray; piping, etc, etc..NFHS is mostly the same . But states are allowed to adopt other rules.

Sorry, just saw this. Not to my knowledge. Did umpires say it was illegal b/c it was red? Or did they "toss it out" because they felt it was distracting? Here in Indiana, glove cannot have white or gray; piping, etc, etc..NFHS is mostly the same . But states are allowed to adopt other rules.
Threw it out because it was red. Said pitchers can only use 3 different colors black, brown or tan. I’ve never heard of such a rule.
Was just asking your opinion on it. Thanks.

Threw it out because it was red. Said pitchers can only use 3 different colors black, brown or tan. I’ve never heard of such a rule.
Unless there was a rule change, that's incorrect. Rule states it can be of any color, except white or gray. OR...If in the judgement of the umpire, the glove is distractimg, they can remove it. I had two pitchers this year wear blue gloves.
Not a peep.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Man I've asked two guys who are our rules guys in our association. Both were like--Nope. Like I said, other states can adopt variations. As long as they are approved. So depending on where you were at, it's conceivable that's a rule (there).

Man I've asked two guys who are our rules guys in our association. Both were like--Nope. Like I said, other states can adopt variations. As long as they are approved. So depending on where you were at, it's conceivable that's a rule (there).
It was a tournament in Louisville. I couldn’t tell you the Association but it was supposed to be under Ky high school rules.
The other teams coach called for the field umpire & he made him remove it. The plate ump didn’t say anything.
This kid has pitched in perfect game events, USSSA events, GMB events & for his middle school team with no problems.
I even text my son’s High School coach & asked him & he said the same as us, only white & grey were illegal.
Big picture is that it didn’t affect the game, he used the catchers fielding glove & we won 6-1. Just curious if this was a new rule. Thanks for the input.

It was a tournament in Louisville. I couldn’t tell you the Association but it was supposed to be under Ky high school rules.
The other teams coach called for the field umpire & he made him remove it. The plate ump didn’t say anything.
This kid has pitched in perfect game events, USSSA events, GMB events & for his middle school team with no problems.
I even text my son’s High School coach & asked him & he said the same as us, only white & grey were illegal.
Big picture is that it didn’t affect the game, he used the catchers fielding glove & we won 6-1. Just curious if this was a new rule. Thanks for the input.
Unless Kentucky has adopted a rule concerning the color, they were wrong. All states are governed by the NFHS [National Federation of High School Sports]. That rule, 1-3-6 clearly states "only white or gray".

ADVERTISEMENT