ADVERTISEMENT

Is Gonzaga really a lock for a 1 seed?

Blind Resumes:
Team A: 4-3 against Quad1, 26-0 otherwise.
Team B: 2-6 against Quad1, 24-0 otherwise.
Both lost in conference tournament final.

Team A is Gonzaga who may get a No. 1 seed and Team B is UNC Greensboro who may get left out. ESPN's Strength of Record (SOR) has the two ranked 8th and 31st respectively.

I saw that too. To me it's more an indication that it's crazy UNCG will probably not be in the tournament.

Question for those that feel strongly about Gonzaga not having a resume anywhere near that of a #1 seed:

What would their record in Quad 1 games need to have been for you to change your view?

5-2 means that you think a late blown lead against a potential #1 seed at a neutral site is the difference between being a #1 seed and having a garbage resume.

6-1 means that you think a #1 seed should need to beat two of three of Duke (neutral), Tennessee (neutral), UNC (road) and go undefeated in other Quad 1 games

7-0 means you think a team that plays three potential number one seeds, none at home (as well as several other power conference teams) has zero margin for error and needs to go undefeated in all Quad 1 games

*Edited to remove inaccuracy

Last edited:
Uh, no it doesn't.

You're right. I made an assumption on what people thought about resumes. Does that mean you'd prefer their resume if they were 6-1 in Quad 1 and had 1 or more bad losses? Or were you just pointing out that I was wrong?

Sorry man....can't keep up.

No big deal, I think its a great comparison. Obviously one resume is better, but its crazy that one team will get a #1 seed and one won't make the tournament. I don't think either of those should be the case.

Reactions: boilerzz
You're right. I made an assumption on what people thought about resumes. Does that mean you'd prefer their resume if they were 6-1 in Quad 1 and had 1 or more bad losses? Or were you just pointing out that I was wrong?

I would prefer teams get #1 seeds because of who they were able to beat. 1 win vs a ranked team isn't very good. Maybe its not their fault that Arizona and Washington laid an egg this year. But other teams should get the edge over them, if they have similar resumes and more top wins.

Reactions: CDNCBBFan
I would prefer teams get #1 seeds because of who they were able to beat. 1 win vs a ranked team isn't very good. Maybe its not their fault that Arizona and Washington laid an egg this year. But other teams should get the edge over them, if they have similar resumes and more top wins.

You may not be one of the people my Gonzaga posts have been directed at. I think it's reasonable to argue they deserve a high spot on the #2 line. I could see them being anywhere from high #2 to low #1.

Reactions: sgrooms
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT