ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana/Kentucky: Its time to get this game back...

Congrats on finally getting good. I never thought of UT as being a "johnny come lately" team, but you've convinced me.
Thanks but, Good is a relative term. UT has been solid over the years, but looks like they will be taking the next step.

Considering Tennessee has beaten UK more times that Indiana has played UK and throw in that UT has beaten UK more then any other school, I'd say it is a rivalry.
Playing someone a lot doesn't make it a rivalry....Indiana has played Northwestern 149 times....UK 57 times. Are you telling me IU vs Northwestern is a bigger rivalry, than IU vs UK?

Of course UT has beaten UK more than any other school----Vols and Cats have played 240 ****ing times....Laughing

Borden has a big one on for UK.

At the time (2012) Indiana said that they could replace UK by many great games. Four years later they line up UL.

Borden is in denial. He refuses to recognize that IU stepped in shit when they tried to dictate terms to Kentucky.
Naaaah....You don't know it, but this thread was made for folks like you.....SmokinSmile

If playing UK were so important to IU, then why didn't Crean and Indiana agree to UK's offer?

Unlike UK, Indiana doesn't need to line up "marquee" OOC games...We actually play in a conference that goes beyond 2 or 3 teams....Truth to be told, Bert, UK needs marquee OOC games a lot more than IU....And especially when it comes to home games...

BTW, IU and UL agreed to terms in 2013----played in 2014/15. IU also picked up games with UConn, Kansas , Georgetown, SMU, Arkansas and Marquette.

Brother Bert, UK ain't half as important as you think they are...

Playing someone a lot doesn't make it a rivalry....Indiana has played Northwestern 149 times....UK 57 times. Are you telling me IU vs Northwestern is a bigger rivalry, than IU vs UK?

Of course UT has beaten UK more than any other school----Vols and Cats have played 240 ****ing times....Laughing
You can't have a rivalry without playing games, goofball. 3 games in 10 years ain't a rivalry.

Like a Final Four appearance?
You mean best of losers? You either win it all or you don't. You had a great year if you win it all.

However, winning your conference, beating highly rated teams and winning the vast majority of your games can still make for a good year.

You mean best of losers? You either win it all or you don't. You had a great year if you win it all.

However, winning your conference, beating highly rated teams and winning the vast majority of your games can still make for a good year.

I know.

Good years are nice and all, but it's great when we do all that and win Championships...or at least play in the final weekend.

Okie, doke...So I have to assume that UT(230 meetings) and UGA(155 meetings), are UK's biggest rivals? Laughing

What a dumb take...

BTW, why have you guys played UK so much? You fellas enjoy losing that much?
It is not near as dumb as claiming a team that never or rarely plays another team is a rival.

It is not near as dumb as claiming a team that never or rarely plays another team is a rival.
Is everyone in Tennessee this stupid? I mean,do you consider the Dodgers/Yankee's a rivalry? MLB historians do---Rank it a Top 5 rivalry....Wanna know how often they play? Well, I mean, since 1981---their last meeting---the two didn't meet again until 2004...or 23 years.

Your logic is stupid. A rivalry isn't just how many games you have played....or how often. But hey, I wouldn't expect a UT fan to understand....After all, your two biggest rivals in football(Bama) and UK), have owned your asses...Helll you haven't beat Bama in 13 years....And trail the series 56-38. We all know the UK story---no need to rehash that debacle.

So I get it...The criteria for a rivalry is different for a fan of a "UT". Especially so when your rivals constantly have beaten your ass...LaughingLaughingLaughing

Reactions: RunninRichie
That was always one-sided though. True rivalries should at least be somewhat competitive. Mizzou almost always sucks ass. That's on the same level as Kentucky-Tennessee as far as "rivalry" goes.

Exactly! I get that they hate each other but how can anyone call KU and Mizzo a rivalry. KU kicks the shit outta them.

Exactly! I get that they hate each other but how can anyone call KU and Mizzo a rivalry. KU kicks the shit outta them.
Meh....A rivalry isn't always defined by "won/lost". Kansas and Missouri is one of those times. Those dudes/teams/states, etc, etc...have REAL hate.

I mean UK has been quite dominant over UL....I don't see anyone not calling it a rivalry.

IMO SCotty, its more than just one thing,or two, that create a rivalry.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Meh....A rivalry isn't always defined by "won/lost". Kansas and Missouri is one of those times. Those dudes/teams/states, etc, etc...have REAL hate.

I mean UK has been quite dominant over UL....I don't see anyone not calling it a rivalry.

IMO SCotty, its more than just one thing,or two, that create a rivalry.

No doubt and I agree. I just never think of KU and Mizzo when I think rivalry.

As far as UK and IU I miss the game. People can say UNc/Duke and UK/UL all they want but the games between UK/IU in the 90’s was f**king amazing!

Pitino VS. Knight
Blue VS. Red
Mashburn VS. Cheaney
Ford VS. Bailey

Watching Mashburn and Cheaney go after each other was nothing short of amazing!

Well on behalf of Mizzou fans, I’m a Louisville fan and still consider UK a rival SmokinSmile

And I bet there’s a handful of teams UK considers bigger rivals than IU.

Louisville, UNC, Duke, Tenn, Fla. every fan has a different opinion but Id bet most rank all of those over IU.

IU has been mostly down for so long for UK it’s one of those lose-lose games. Win and it’s because your supposed to, Lose and it’s an upset that you had no business losing.

Considering Tennessee has beaten UK more times that Indiana has played UK and throw in that UT has beaten UK more then any other school, I'd say it is a rivalry.

You appear to have one thing in common with the Cats fans and that is clinging to ancient history. I don't share your notion regarding "luster" coming from anything dating back to the time of horse and buggies. I suppose if you have weak recent history, ancient history is all you have left.

What was the score in last year's IU/UK game? How about the year before? Didn't play? It appears y'all have played 3 game in 10 years. That don't make a rivalry.
oh I see well let’s use a 1980 cutoff since college basketball didn’t start counting until 1980.....UK is 58-27 against UT since then, UK has 3 titles 2 runner ups and 8 final fours since 1990 compared to UTs 2 elite eights and since 2009 UT has one elite 8 0 final fours and 0 titles compared to UKs 7 elite 8s and 4 final fours and one title LOL yeah no recent history you’re right bro.

Is everyone in Tennessee this stupid? I mean,do you consider the Dodgers/Yankee's a rivalry? MLB historians do---Rank it a Top 5 rivalry....Wanna know how often they play? Well, I mean, since 1981---their last meeting---the two didn't meet again until 2004...or 23 years.

Your logic is stupid. A rivalry isn't just how many games you have played....or how often. But hey, I wouldn't expect a UT fan to understand....After all, your two biggest rivals in football(Bama) and UK), have owned your asses...Helll you haven't beat Bama in 13 years....And trail the series 56-38. We all know the UK story---no need to rehash that debacle.

So I get it...The criteria for a rivalry is different for a fan of a "UT". Especially so when your rivals constantly have beaten your ass...LaughingLaughingLaughing
I do not consider the Dodgers/Yankees a rivalry. "Historians" is a term used to describe a person who studies the past. Rome and Troy use to be big rivals, historians have written about it. But, it ain't a rivalry anymore.

Since you have chosen to lash out at me with CFB, I suppose it is incumbent upon me to wish you Hoosiers my condolences for the way UT snuffed out the candle of IU's rise to prominence. 😢

oh I see well let’s use a 1980 cutoff since college basketball didn’t start counting until 1980.....UK is 58-27 against UT since then, UK has 3 titles 2 runner ups and 8 final fours since 1990 compared to UTs 2 elite eights and since 2009 UT has one elite 8 0 final fours and 0 titles compared to UKs 7 elite 8s and 4 final fours and one title LOL yeah no recent history you’re right bro.
Why 1980? Why not 2015? Isn't 2015 more relevant to today?

so let’s use your logic,UK has only had 8 good seasons compared to UTs 0. LOL
How is that using my logic? UT has won the conference, beaten highly ranked opponents and won the vast majority of their games in a particular season multiple times.

It loses the desired effect if you fail to comprehend what you're attempting to make fun of.

Funny that you fail to mention UK has played Tennessee far more times than any other school in their history.
UT - 230
Vandy - 196
Georgia - 155
Bama - 152
Florida - 144
Miss - 121
Mis St - 118
LSU -117
Auburn - 116

No other team is even close to 100. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that the more times you play someone the more opportunities you have to win. That doesn't change the fact that the series favors UK 156-74 (LOL), which is much less competitive than the 32-25 advantage they hold over Indiana.

Why 1980? Why not 2015? Isn't 2015 more relevant to today?
modern era. Nice try though to use 2015 to UTs advantage. Just stop using specific timelines and combine all the timelines together. Even if I used 2015 UK would still have the same amount of elite 8s in 5 years than UT does in 75.

Reactions: Scotty00
Funny that you fail to mention UK has played Tennessee far more times than any other school in their history.
UT - 230
Vandy - 196
Georgia - 155
Bama - 152
Florida - 144
Miss - 121
Mis St - 118
LSU -117
Auburn - 116

No other team is even close to 100. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that the more times you play someone the more opportunities you have to win. That doesn't change the fact that the series favors UK 156-74 (LOL), which is much less competitive than the 32-25 advantage they hold over Indiana.
I do mention that playing games is a key component of a rivalry, so that works to my advantage. Tennessee use to play Auburn in CFB every year. The conference ended the yearly contest and moved it to rotational. That pretty much killed the rivalry.

It also doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that you have more opportunities to lose the more games you play too. I think playing games is a key factor in determining a rivalry, do you?

Is UK/UT a rivalry in CFB in your opinion? Tennessee has pretty much beaten the shit out of UK in the ancient past as well as in the present and will probably continue to do so. I believe it is a rivalry due to the hate factor. Y'all seem to hate us and we hate y'all. Hate and the fact we play regularly and have the potential to screw up each other's seasons.

modern era. Nice try though to use 2015 to UTs advantage. Just stop using specific timelines and combine all the timelines together. Even if I used 2015 UK would still have the same amount of elite 8s in 5 years than UT does in 75.
Rivalries are based on head to head games. You want to win rivalry games. No one but a delusional fool says, "we got beat by UT, but who cares, we will go to the Elite 8 and they won't" Laughing

I do mention that playing games is a key component of a rivalry, so that works to my advantage. Tennessee use to play Auburn in CFB every year. The conference ended the yearly contest and moved it to rotational. That pretty much killed the rivalry.

It also doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that you have more opportunities to lose the more games you play too. I think playing games is a key factor in determining a rivalry, do you?

Is UK/UT a rivalry in CFB in your opinion? Tennessee has pretty much beaten the shit out of UK in the ancient past as well as in the present and will probably continue to do so. I believe it is a rivalry due to the hate factor. Y'all seem to hate us and we hate y'all. Hate and the fact we play regularly and have the potential to screw up each other's seasons.
I don't consider UK-UT to be much of a rivalry in football for the reason you mention, UT curb stomps UK all the time (even in the years UT sucks).

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
It's understandable why UT and UK fans have different mindsets.

The postseason success from the two teams is summed up in two easy pictures.

UK (FF or better):

UK-BANNERS2.jpg

UT...

tennessee-banner.jpg

I don't consider UK-UT to be much of a rivalry in football for the reason you mention, UT curb stomps UK all the time (even in the years UT sucks).
What makes a rival in your opinion? Do you think Indiana is a UK rival as compared to others?

It's understandable why UT and UK fans have different mindsets.

The postseason success from the two teams is summed up in two easy pictures.

UK (FF or better):

UK-BANNERS2.jpg

UT...

tennessee-banner.jpg
Good thing you went back to 1942 to start your rebuttal. I'm sure all UK fans fondly remember the good ole days. Laughing

Good thing you went back to 1942 to start your rebuttal. I'm sure all UK fans fondly remember the good ole days. Laughing
UK has a National Title, Runner up and two FF banners since UT hung their Elite 8 banner.

UK fans are not the cause of UT's lack of success. That's on their programs ability to field a great team at least once.

Also, dismissing a history of dominance (#1 all time) isn't reaching. It just shows how far back UK has been dominate.

Reaching would be to dismiss everything and only focus on 1 or 2 cherry picked stats. But again, I understand the difference in mindsets.

UK has a National Title, Runner up and two FF banners since UT hung their Elite 8 banner.

UK fans are not the cause of UT's lack of success. That's on their programs ability to field a great team at least once.

Also, dismissing a history of dominance (#1 all time) isn't reaching. It just shows how far back UK has been dominate.

Reaching would be to dismiss everything and only focus on 1 or 2 cherry picked stats. But again, I understand the difference in mindsets.
Since we agreed earlier that only National titles make a great season. I think you can have a great team and a successful year even if you don't win the national title.

We are discussing rivalries, what makes a rival and when is a team not a rival. No one questions how good UK was in 1942, so why do y'all consistently go on about that or other teams in the distant past? Do you not consider UT a rival?

Since we agreed earlier that only National titles make a great season. I think you can have a great team and a successful year even if you don't win the national title.

We are discussing rivalries, what makes a rival and when is a team not a rival. No one questions how good UK was in 1942, so why do y'all consistently go on about that or other teams in the distant past? Do you not consider UT a rival?

I never agreed only National Titles make for a great season. 2015 UK set all sorts of historical records in a clearly great season.

IMO UT is UK's main SEC rival all-time but it isn't much of a rivalry as results show its mostly been one sided outside of a few games here or there. UF had a good run, Arkansas had a good run, even Vandy had a small window of success. They aren't rivals.

IMO KU is more of a "current rival" due to they had recent success against UK, threaten UK in historical records and always a threat to do something in the postseason and not just some regular season johnnies. But again, JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I never agreed only National Titles make for a great season. 2015 UK set all sorts of historical records in a clearly great season.

IMO UT is UK's main SEC rival all-time but it isn't much of a rivalry as results show its mostly been one sided outside of a few games here or there. UF had a good run, Arkansas had a good run, even Vandy had a small window of success. They aren't rivals.
So, do you believe rivalries can ebb and flow? Do you think the UT/UK rivalry has become more intense do to the Vols elevating their game?

Do you ever say if you thought IU/UK were rivals?

The difference is we UK fans know that UK football sucks. UT basketball sucks; however, they will never admit it. They are totally blind to how bad UT basketball really is.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
So, do you believe rivalries can ebb and flow? Do you think the UT/UK rivalry has become more intense do to the Vols elevating their game?

Do you ever say if you thought IU/UK were rivals?
Sure rivalries have "ebb and flows", but they're usually more balanced.

Yes, even though they've not played in a regular season game for a while. IU is rival. A game against IU means a hell of a lot more to most UK fans than playing UT.

Sure rivalries have "ebb and flows", but they're usually more balanced.

Yes, even though they've not played in a regular season game for a while. IU is rival. A game against IU means a hell of a lot more to most UK fans than playing UT.
I suppose will have to be content on continuing the trend of kicking y’alls ass. At least y’all don’t mind.😀

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT