ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State

This year will tell a lot. This team is playing at a pace he likes and is a lot more athletic than last year’s team. The team APPEARS to be improved.

But if we keep going to the tournament, even as a 10 seed, I don’t know if we fire him. It’s a lot easier to fire if he is missing the tournament. I thought last year was catastrophic, but he was saved by COVID.
I'm looking forward to seeing a track meet pace, our guys like playing it as well and I'd love to see Barnes get out in some transition situations to finish

I don’t know about “lucky.” FSU led for like 34 minutes of the game or something like that. Both teams had some opportunities late in the game to push the lead out to two possessions, but neither team could seem to cash in.

It was a hard fought, physical game. What you would expect from two second weekend NCAAT teams.
Yeah if either team won, it wouldn't have been "lucky", no one was making crazy shots or getting crazy breaks (very even terrible officiatiating). FSU led for 34 of 45 minutes but their largest lead was like 7 4 minutes into the game. I think it was 5 points or less either way for around 40 of 45 minutes. Just a great game. Sucks to be on the losing side, and even though this felt like a second weekend game, I'm happy it wasn't. I would love to see a rematch in March.

I'm looking forward to seeing a track meet pace, our guys like playing it as well and I'd love to see Barnes get out in some transition situations to finish

It’ll be interesting because we haven’t played someone as quick and big as FSU so we’ve been able to gamble and recover in time defensively. Our defense has been solid, but this is a very different test.

This year will tell a lot. This team is playing at a pace he likes and is a lot more athletic than last year’s team. The team APPEARS to be improved.

But if we keep going to the tournament, even as a 10 seed, I don’t know if we fire him. It’s a lot easier to fire if he is missing the tournament. I thought last year was catastrophic, but he was saved by COVID.

Can’t recall UF’s record last year but you guys were headed for the Tourney again. I did expect more from them tho with Blackshear and Nembhard(sp). Your BC win was impressive, not sure how good they are tho. Should be a good test for both teams. FSU has a lot of kinks to work out as do most teams this early.

It’ll be interesting because we haven’t played someone as quick and big as FSU so we’ve been able to gamble and recover in time defensively. Our defense has been solid, but this is a very different test.

From the little I’ve seen, UF does seem to be more athletic this year. But the biggest question mark I’ve had since White got there is the toughness. Y’all have just seemed soft at times, especially when punched in the mouth.

FSU is a work in progress. For the first time in 4 years we are having to figure out what it looks like to win without Trent Forrest (the winningest player in school history). So from that standpoint I think UF may finally have an edge against us, at least early in the season.

That said, while Forrest is gone, the toughness isn’t. Guys like Gray, Walker, Osborne, Polite—those guys are dawgs, you know? They are the kind you want on your side in a street brawl. I’m just not sure if UF has that outside of Keyonte Johnson.

We will certainly learn more on Saturday. I think it will be the closest game in several years. Looking forward to it.

Can’t recall UF’s record last year but you guys were headed for the Tourney again. I did expect more from them tho with Blackshear and Nembhard(sp). Your BC win was impressive, not sure how good they are tho. Should be a good test for both teams. FSU has a lot of kinks to work out as do most teams this early.

Honestly, I’m not sure the Gators make it last year. Seemed pretty bubblicious to me. Probably needed to win two in the SECT.

I don’t know about “lucky.” FSU led for like 34 minutes of the game or something like that. Both teams had some opportunities late in the game to push the lead out to two possessions, but neither team could seem to cash in.

It was a hard fought, physical game. What you would expect from two second weekend NCAAT teams.
Yeah no luck involved...Just a grind it out, two teams getting after it, great basketball game. Both teams left a to n of points on the floor---both let opportunities to stretch leads out get away...

Shit IU was up 3 in OT, with the ball TWICE---and TWICE jacked up terrible 3-point shots.

Reactions: GE Nole
Host GT tonight, definitely the jekyll and hyde team of the season so far with their first two results versus their next two. Can never take a conference opponent for granted but I'd like to see Barnes continue to assert himself offensively. If he is aggressive and is able to play under control, our offense should thrive.

Gtech first two losses can be attributed to Pastner starting the season with “non-contact” practices. Which I can’t imagine were more than walk througs and shooting practice. Then They lost to the two scrubs and he scrapped that and they’ve looked like a different team ever since.

They have good enough players they should never have lost to Georgia state and Montana state or whoever it was.

Gtech first two losses can be attributed to Pastner starting the season with “non-contact” practices. Which I can’t imagine were more than walk througs and shooting practice. Then They lost to the two scrubs and he scrapped that and they’ve looked like a different team ever since.

They have good enough players they should never have lost to Georgia state and Montana state or whoever it was.

Honestly, Nebraska is a bad team. And Kentucky, while talented, doesn’t appear to be a cohesive team at this moment.

I think an argument can be made that GT has two wins over bad TEAMS and two losses to average teams.

Honestly, Nebraska is a bad team. And Kentucky, while talented, doesn’t appear to be a cohesive team at this moment.

I think an argument can be made that GT has two wins over bad TEAMS and two losses to average teams.

I just think Gtech would be 4-0 if not for pastners no contact practices. And I would consider all 4 teams they played to be bad atm. Obv UK has talent but u nailed it they aren’t much of a team right now nor when they played Gtech.

GT plays small. Their power forward Moses is a big body at 6-9 235. Leads them in rebounds and points. Then it looks like they go with 4 guards. Alvarado and Parnam are 6-0 and 5-10. The next 2 are bigger 6-5 and 6-7. Haven’t watched them but am guessing they go fast.

They will have to put the bigger guards on Barnes. FSU had trouble with IU’s forward and I suspect will with GT’s. Should be an interesting game.

yeah but Balsa is probably going to have a really good game against them, let's see if he can hold up defensively and avoid foul trouble

Announcers just called FSU the tallest team in America...

Does that include the NBA or just college?

Are they not the tallest team in the world?

7-2
7-1
6-11
6-9
6-9
6-8x3
6-6x4
6-5
6-5
6-4
6-3
6-3
6-2
6-1

Are you tallest enough to block this shot?

Last edited:
I thought we'd be good at shooting the 3 this year. But damn, if Wilkes and Calhoun and Polite are all gonna shoot a ridiculously high rate from downtown, we are going to be hard to beat.

Reactions: Perpetual Burn555
Christ officials... If the ball goes up and the hand goes down, it's a foul. He damn near broke his wrist.

Think we're gonna better this year than last?

Is Barnes the superstar we need to go to the next level?

Time to cut the nets?

Think we're gonna better this year than last?

Is Barnes the superstar we need to go to the next level?

Time to cut the nets?
These are March questions with March answers.
I think we could be better at shooting the 3 than last year, when we shot 35%.

Pretty easy win except for the 2 minutes they fell asleep at the wheel. Barnes is a matchup nightmare.

Where were Evans and Ngom tonight?

Both guys were still really shaken up from the Key Johnson episode.
Did Ham say that?
From what I saw, Ham specifically didn't say why they didn't play -- which usually means it's a disciplinary issue or the kids has a personal issue Ham doesn't feel like sharing with the media.

GE has demonstrated a knowledge and relationship with the team that goes beyond basic fandom(he knows LH or someone else on staff)

Man super impressed with FSU so far. Definitely seem to be the class of the ACC so far. Plus I love playing y’all, seems regardless who wins it’s always a well played hard fought game.

We (Louisville) are about to learn a lot about our team the next couple of weeks. I think FSU is in a tier of their own in the acc the way y’all are playing atm with uva at the top of the second tier. I’m interested to see how we stack up with the middle of the second tier like duke Unc vtech? Cuse? Even teams like Gtech and Clemson aren’t really bad squads. I’d prob say wake bc and Miami are bottom three, maybe.

Man super impressed with FSU so far. Definitely seem to be the class of the ACC so far. Plus I love playing y’all, seems regardless who wins it’s always a well played hard fought game.

We (Louisville) are about to learn a lot about our team the next couple of weeks. I think FSU is in a tier of their own in the acc the way y’all are playing atm with uva at the top of the second tier. I’m interested to see how we stack up with the middle of the second tier like duke Unc vtech? Cuse? Even teams like Gtech and Clemson aren’t really bad squads. I’d prob say wake bc and Miami are bottom three, maybe.

UL-FSU games are really good ones. Evenly matched teams. FSU is still finding its way after losing 2 lottery picks plus the leader Trent Forrest. Happy that they’re learning on the fly and winning. Barnes is something special. Was great to see one of our best 3 point shooters break out last night after some poor early games-Wilkes.

After a couple OOC games we have Clemson, Duke, Cuse, and think Pitt coming up. Most are away. Will tell us a lot.

Yea we lost a ton too, nwora, sutton, enoch, mcmahon, Kimble. And Malik Williams is hurt so it’s basically Johnson and Williamson as the only returning contributors until Malik gets back.

Our freshmen big have played very well though in their oppourtunity. Withers, Davis, and Traynor have all contributed early in the season. Withers is a RSFR.

Withers and Davis have been starting with all the injuries to Williams, mineland, nickleberry who are all yet to play and Williamson missed time as well.

Looking forward to our matchup, do we play twice this year or only once. I know we played twice last year so unlikely it will be two years in a row. I wish we were yalls cross division rival like uva is to us who we play/lose twice a year in basketball and play them in football every year. Guess we are in same football division though smh.

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
Think we play at your place. Only once this year. Tho I scanned our schedule kind of fast. We have UNC twice it looks like.

I understand why UVA, Duke and UNC get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to historical ranking and expectations, but i'm really wondering when we will get the opportunity to be ranked appropriately, or even overranked, at the beginning of the season. If we had started off 15th, we'd probably be right on the brink of a top 5 ranking. Ultimately that doesn't matter for the results on the court, but perception helps in so many areas. As good as this team is this year, there is a chance next years will be even better. Really amazing and a testament to this staff and the types of players that we are able to bring in and ask to be role players

I understand why UVA, Duke and UNC get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to historical ranking and expectations, but i'm really wondering when we will get the opportunity to be ranked appropriately, or even overranked, at the beginning of the season. If we had started off 15th, we'd probably be right on the brink of a top 5 ranking. Ultimately that doesn't matter for the results on the court, but perception helps in so many areas. As good as this team is this year, there is a chance next years will be even better. Really amazing and a testament to this staff and the types of players that we are able to bring in and ask to be role players

I think that might have happened a little more this year if March Madness happened last year. Oh well.

My guess is if we return 4 out of Balsa, Gray, Polite, Osborn, and Calhoun and then add in our top 5 recruiting class, next year we will probably start in the top 8.

I think that might have happened a little more this year if March Madness happened last year. Oh well.

My guess is if we return 4 out of Balsa, Gray, Polite, Osborn, and Calhoun and then add in our top 5 recruiting class, next year we will probably start in the top 8.
And unless he transfers, Wilkes will be here next year, with perhaps Jack if he the staff and he decide it is a good situation. Losing Barnes and MJ will definitely hurt, but we would still have a veteran nucleus to go along with a great new crop. 2022 could be a down year depending on how some of the numbers shake out and whether we can maintain our recruiting trajectory

UVA can slow it down and make a miserable game for anyone. I think we are better than them, but that's always a hard victory, if it's a W at all.

ADVERTISEMENT