ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State

klize17

Oct 30, 2006
@GE Nole What am I looking for tonight in their first game?

Looking forward to the rematch next week.

@GE Nole What am I looking for tonight in their first game?

Looking forward to the rematch next week.

Sorry, just seeing this.

Tonight was just a shake the rust off kind of game. We hadn’t played at all and it showed at times. But the length and athleticism on the team is pretty scary.

We are gonna have to shoot better, but giving Calhoun more minutes will help solve that. He’s the real deal, folks.

Really looking forward to next week. Just wish FSU could get one more game in before hand.

Reactions: klize17
Sorry, just seeing this.

Tonight was just a shake the rust off kind of game. We hadn’t played at all and it showed at times. But the length and athleticism on the team is pretty scary.

We are gonna have to shoot better, but giving Calhoun more minutes will help solve that. He’s the real deal, folks.

Really looking forward to next week. Just wish FSU could get one more game in before hand.

No worries and appreciate the response. I am hoping that IU learned some lessons dealing with length and athleticism like that against Texas. I saw your other post and that is pretty crazy to see that in college basketball.

Wish our Gardner Webb game hadn’t been cancelled. Only 1 game played going into IU.

Sorry, just seeing this.

Ya'll gonna have fans?

Last year opponents shot 31.7% from 3 against FSU. 95th in the country (out of 353 teams) and 6th in the ACC.
When we lose this is usually a factor, but for the first 24 minutes last night UNF was abysmal. Then they hit 8/9 and they ended up 11/27. They got hot after we relaxed and were up by 20

When we lose this is usually a factor, but for the first 24 minutes last night UNF was abysmal. Then they hit 8/9 and they ended up 11/27. They got hot after we relaxed and were up by 20

That’s fair but you could say that about most teams. When a major opponent goes off from 3, decent shot you lose.

That’s fair but you could say that about most teams. When a major opponent goes off from 3, decent shot you lose.
What I really meant is those are the only types of games we seem to lose, one in which the other team is hit from 3. Otherwise, we usually find a way to win. There have been several games that I can recall where the opponent shot well from 3 and we still won due to turnovers

Reactions: GE Nole
I am surprised by that.

Florida St should be able to force shooters to put the ball on the floor

If you look at the teams that have played for a NC recently
They all made sure they controlled the 3 point line

Michigan
Villanova
Virginia
Texas Tech.

Close out on the shooters and force them to put the ball on the floor. Use your interior length to create blocks or steals

Villanova...
They just had unbelievable ball movement. Made it difficult for teams to do that because they would create numbers

Last edited:
Wish our Gardner Webb game hadn’t been cancelled. Only 1 game played going into IU.
Duke’s first game of the season was supposed to be Gardner-Webb but the game was postponed too. I saw an article earlier today that said it had been rescheduled for December 19th. This season has been tough on a lot of teams with games being postponed or cancelled because of Covid-19, not to mention teams not getting to play their usual preseason exhibition games to help work out the kinks. Michigan State was supposed to be our third game of the season but ended up being our second game of the season after the Gardner–Webb game was postponed and our game against Elon that was scheduled for Sunday has also been postponed.

Duke’s first game of the season was supposed to be Gardner-Webb but the game was postponed too. I saw an article earlier today that said it had been rescheduled for December 19th. This season has been tough on a lot of teams with games being postponed or cancelled because of Covid-19, not to mention teams not getting to play their usual preseason exhibition games to help work out the kinks. Michigan State was supposed to be our third game of the season but ended up being our second game of the season after the Gardner–Webb game was postponed and our game against Elon that was scheduled for Sunday has also been postponed.
Richmond was supposed to be our 3rd and KU our 4th.

I am surprised by that.

Florida St should be able to force shooters to put the ball on the floor

If you look at the teams that have played for a NC recently
They all made sure they controlled the 3 point line

Michigan
Villanova
Virginia
Texas Tech.

Close out on the shooters and force them to put the ball on the floor. Use your interior length to create blocks or steals

Villanova...
They just had unbelievable ball movement. Made it difficult for teams to do that because they would create numbers

FSU had some trouble with quick guards last season. Miami and I think NCST particularly. They won the games but was frustrating watching the seemingly easy penetration

FSU had some trouble with quick guards last season. Miami and I think NCST particularly. They won the games but was frustrating watching the seemingly easy penetration

Sometimes it’s the trade off of playing guys so big (less quickness). But other times it’s by design.

We’d prefer a guy like Lykes to be funneled into the teeth of the D where we can alter a shot or deflect a kick out. It looks like a “blow by” or easy penetration, but reality it’s just us setting the bear trap.

When our help D stays in their appropriate place and rotates on time, the penetration is cut off and the ball is often stolen or thrown away. When the help D is late or over aggressive, it can result in open looks.

Sometimes it’s the trade off of playing guys so big (less quickness). But other times it’s by design.

We’d prefer a guy like Lykes to be funneled into the teeth of the D where we can alter a shot or deflect a kick out. It looks like a “blow by” or easy penetration, but reality it’s just us setting the bear trap.

When our help D stays in their appropriate place and rotates on time, the penetration is cut off and the ball is often stolen or thrown away. When the help D is late or over aggressive, it can result in open looks.

Saw quite a bit of both last year. Be nice to have a quick guard to bring in for change of pace or matchups.

It’s a bit early but I think FSU may be the best team in the ACC. A lot will depend on Barnes being as good as he projects to be but also, can we stay healthy. Based in what I’ve seen from the other contenders, I see way more flaws for them than what we currently have, but by the time we are into late January the complexion of every team could be very different

It’s a bit early but I think FSU may be the best team in the ACC. A lot will depend on Barnes being as good as he projects to be but also, can we stay healthy. Based in what I’ve seen from the other contenders, I see way more flaws for them than what we currently have, but by the time we are into late January the complexion of every team could be very different

Let’s see us against a top 150 team first. But yeah, our ceiling is pretty high. And even higher next season.

Saw quite a bit of both last year. Be nice to have a quick guard to bring in for change of pace or matchups.

I think Polite is a guy who can do it. Maybe Calhoun if he learns the defensive principals.

Really though, we just need guys to be on time with their rotations. Defense was 15th last year. I’m expecting another top 25 one this year.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yep will take this over the thumping at IU for sure. Great game but the refs just took control at the end and looked inept.

Reactions: klize17
I still think FSU will be the class if the ACC this year, despite the usual trio getting the accolades. If we can get by Florida on Saturday we should be able to navigate the schedule between now and Duke and see what happens from there

I still think FSU will be the class if the ACC this year, despite the usual trio getting the accolades. If we can get by Florida on Saturday we should be able to navigate the schedule between now and Duke and see what happens from there

If you can get by Florida??

I think the last time we beat FSU was during the Reagan administration.

If you can get by Florida??

I think the last time we beat FSU was during the Reagan administration.

Lol. Every year is a new year tho. How much longer do you give White? And...how do you fire a guy who gets you in the tourney every year?

Thanks, Klize. Y’all look better to me than last year, especially if the big center can get healthy.

TJD is a monster. Best performance from an opposing big I’ve seen in Tallahassee since Brice Johnson back in 2016.

It was weird not having the roof come off Tuck on some of those shots and blocks. I’m just so used to a bonkers atmosphere in these big games. (I know it sounds crazy but the acoustics of FSU’s gym really crank up the volume and makes it a significant challenge for opposing teams who have a name brand).

But the guys are just fighters. Hamilton has created such a culture of winning, it just always seems like guys make the needed play at the end.

Reactions: SNU0821 and klize17
I really felt like FSU was lucky to win this one. I thought Indiana looked solid on D.

FSU really needs to put in work at the FT line. Last few seasons I've noticed this was an area of strength. Hopefully they get it together.

I really felt like FSU was lucky to win this one. I thought Indiana looked solid on D.

FSU really needs to put in work at the FT line. Last few seasons I've noticed this was an area of strength. Hopefully they get it together.

Hamilton says they’ve been hitting about 85% in practice. With these small crowds it should be almost like practice. He’s confident it’ll come around.

Reactions: Nole in Toronto

I think it was conditioning that impacted their shooting, should be fine

I don’t know about “lucky.” FSU led for like 34 minutes of the game or something like that. Both teams had some opportunities late in the game to push the lead out to two possessions, but neither team could seem to cash in.

It was a hard fought, physical game. What you would expect from two second weekend NCAAT teams.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I think it was conditioning that impacted their shooting, should be fine

Frankly, it’s gonna be about who’s taking the FTs. You want your best FT shooters taking the most FTs.

Unfortunately for us, Scottie and Gray aren’t gonna be our best FT shooters, but they will end up taking a lot of our FTs. We gotta get MJ, Malik, and Balsa to the line more.

Lol. Every year is a new year tho. How much longer do you give White? And...how do you fire a guy who gets you in the tourney every year?

This year will tell a lot. This team is playing at a pace he likes and is a lot more athletic than last year’s team. The team APPEARS to be improved.

But if we keep going to the tournament, even as a 10 seed, I don’t know if we fire him. It’s a lot easier to fire if he is missing the tournament. I thought last year was catastrophic, but he was saved by COVID.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT