ADVERTISEMENT

***Elite 8 Games Thread***

Just a reminder, UCLA did this without Chris Smith who was injured during the season. He was one of the better players for the Bruins (if not their best player).

Reactions: UCLA_Nation
Two predictions:

We won’t see any patented bumps by Hail for awhile and the rest of the Michigan clan will crawl back into the woodwork.

Pretty massive choke by Michigan last night. You're a 1-seed and all you have to do is score 52 points to beat an 11-seed to make the Final Four and you couldn't do it. At least you avoided a massive beatdown by Gonzaga in the Final Four @hailtoyourvictor

I hate it when b's choke. Worst sound in the world.

Reactions: jhmossy
Two predictions:

We won’t see any patented bumps by Hail for awhile and the rest of the Michigan clan will crawl back into the woodwork.

I agree with your second prediction, and I'm guessing it's the reason so many of us rooted for UCLA last night.

But Hail will always find something to bump. It'll probably be a post after their third best player went down and he said a Sweet 16 would be a success.

• Haha
Reactions: ExitFlagger
If I was Gonzaga I would have rather played Michigan than UCLA...
That's pretty stupid, but are we surprised given the source?

UCLA is only here because their opponents are sub 50% from the stripe. Gonzaga is going to mop the floor with them. Michigan probably doesn't win, but they're a better team than UCLA and win the matchup 6 or 7/10 times.

You can choke AND the season went better than you expected. They're not mutually exclusive. If you are denying that last night was a massive choke, then you're just a massive homer and none of your takes should ever be taken seriously.

Bored today?

They scored 49 points against an 11-seed in an Elite 8 game.

I'm just going to respectfully disagree about the choking. I do value your position though, you have pretty spot on takes on most topics.

When I think choke I think of either really remarkable late meltdown or a superior team just being a no-show type of deal. Seems neither apply to Michigan in this situation.

Reactions: jhmossy
I'm just going to respectfully disagree about the choking. I do value your position though, you have pretty spot on takes on most topics.

When I think choke I think of either really remarkable late meltdown or a superior team just being a no-show type of deal. Seems neither apply to Michigan in this situation.

Don't bring logic to this. We're piling on Michigan today. Hop on board.

I'm obviously giving the Michigan fans a hard time. I do think putting up 49 points in an Elite 8 is kind of a no-show though. There's really not one Michigan player who brought it offensively last night. They didn't get blown off the court or give up a big lead but you can't ask for a much easier path in the Elite 8 than an 11-seed.

People still talk about KU losing to an 11 seed in the Elite 8 10 years ago.

Spare no mercy for these Michigan bandwagoners.

Yeah, but Kansas was really good.

Am I getting better at this?

RollLaugh

Morris brothers and Thomas Robinson would party on this Michigan team.

Truly a down year outside of the top two. Some of these Sweet 16/Elite 8 games looked like NIT games of the past.

That wide-open airball by Wagner is going to be hard to forget, especially for Michigan fans. Auburn went to the Final Four two years. But, in the first round, they easily could have lost. New Mexico State had an open look in the corner that could have stolen the game. Fortunately for Auburn, the NMSU player airballed it, with all the space in the world, much like Wagner did last night.

Okay, here's one more notorious airball in March. 2018 Elite 8, Duke vs Kansas, and Duke is up by 3 points with maybe 40 seconds left. Wendell Carter backs down his man and goes for a baby hook - and he airballs it from just 5 feet away! How is that possible? 5 freaking feet away and he doesn't even hit the rim. Kansas grabs the board, and Graham finds Svi on the wing for an open three to tie the game and force it into overtime.

Dude, Michigan didn’t score a basket in the last 5 minutes of the game. That’s like the definition of choking.

If choking is equated to tightening up I think one could say they choked some, and I guess that is probably how most of us would describe it. I've seen enough choking late in games from UNC the last two years to know the look. I thought the last part of the game sort of just went how the entire game went though. I know they had the airball but the offense wasn't exactly rolling along until that point either.

Dude, Michigan didn’t score a basket in the last 5 minutes of the game. That’s like the definition of choking.

Yeah but for some reason, everyone that UCLA faced in the tournament seems to have such stretches that they either couldnt score. Unlike top defensive teams like Houston and Southern Cal, UCLA aint even playing that well and they just stopped making shots out of nowhere. It seems that UCLA has a kind of magic that brings the opponents down to their own level, its quite strange.

Yeah but for some reason, everyone that UCLA faced in the tournament seems to have such stretches that they either couldnt score. Unlike top defensive teams like Houston and Southern Cal, UCLA aint even playing that well and they just stopped making shots out of nowhere. It seems that UCLA has a kind of magic that brings the opponents down to their own level, its quite strange.
Idk about that, I think their defense has been elite. Michigan didn't have a lot of great looks. I don't remember them taking a ton of wide open shots. They fought for their points.

There are different kinds of choking. That is definitely the John Calipari kind of choking.

Idk about that, I think their defense has been elite. Michigan didn't have a lot of great looks. I don't remember them taking a ton of wide open shots. They fought for their points.

That's why UCLA hired Mick Cronin. Not enough defense in the Alford era. They would have never won a game like that under him

That's pretty stupid, but are we surprised given the source?

UCLA is only here because their opponents are sub 50% from the stripe. Gonzaga is going to mop the floor with them. Michigan probably doesn't win, but they're a better team than UCLA and win the matchup 6 or 7/10 times.

Learn something.

Only team that gave Gonzaga a game was West VA

Cronin....is very similar in a lot of ways to Huggins. Actually worked for him.

Cronin is looking all over that game.

Not to mention UCLA has more offensive weapons

ADVERTISEMENT