ADVERTISEMENT

Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky

Idk. I have to see the kids play. I’ve seen DJ outplay his Mcdaa counterpart sam williamson their whole careers. I’ve seen vj king wildly underperform as a burger boy. I’ve seen kids like Kuric and Hancock and Preston knowles ball out as three stars. Hell russ smith was a two star. I thought AI would be dominant this year after a year in the program, he doesn’t even get to play. I had zero expectations for 100+ ranked Dre Davis and he is starting and playing pretty decent.

But until we get the NCAA sanctions known and past us I foresee some even leaner years from the basketball team, so unfortunately, no I cant imagine us landing anyone good enough to be a day 1 starter and take someone else’s job from the get go, or recruited over or however you wanna put it.
Every school recruits new kids. Every year. To tag is as "recruiting over" seems biased.

Do you think all the successful transfers from UK transferred over PT/getting recruited over or other reasons.

Every school recruits new kids. Every year. To tag is as "recruiting over" seems biased.

So you just don’t believe someone being “recruited over” is a thing?

And while I agree with your post to an extent, I feel most coaches recruit what they need now the hardest and let the down the road guys fall into place. But uk isn’t most programs. They don’t take many down the road guys.

But obv no coach is gonna turn down a shot at a premiere prospect just bc of who they already have on the roster. Usually it’s the kids that eliminate the schools that are already well stocked at their position, imo.

But for the record I wish Louisville was in the position to recruit over our underclassmen big men, sans withers whose playing C out of necessity when he’s really a PF. Apparently the staff loves the frosh wiznitzer, but he’s shown relatively nothing so far on the court. But I almost must realize it takes longer for most bigs to adjust to playing people the same size as them night in night out. Or in the position to land any blue chip kid that could help right away regardless of position or who we already have at that position.

I’ve just yet to see it with askew, but I don’t watch every second of every UK game. But when posters are making claims like he’s the worst player cals ever played, worse than harrow etc you’d seem to think y’all would want him recruited over. But who knows maybe he will be the rare unicorn that signs with uk and graduates from UK, and gets much better along the way. I have no ill will for the kid, except I dislike UK so obv I enjoy when y’all lose, but it’s nothing personal I just call it like I see it, and I’ve seen nothing to lead me to believe askew is or will be a great pg. but like I’ve said regarding Russ Smith, I wanted him to transfer after his freshmen year, I thought it was a wasted scholarship on a guy that was too small and couldn’t take care of the ball and was a chucker. There were homeboard conspiracies halfway through his frosh year that he was already gone, that he was going to Manhatten to play for former assistant (can’t spell it) mass——(dude walked in at Uk iirc) since Russ was from nyc. And although my opinions weren’t exactly wrong, I’m sure glad he stuck around and was dead wrong thinking he should transfer.

It’s easy to knock askew when the pgs UK usually brings in are studs from day 1 for the most part. Anywhere else he’d just be a regular freshmen biding his time. But that’s what cals built, that’s what he wanted, and he got it.

I’m sure it’s fun as hell when the pieces fit and everyone lives up to expectations, but then you get seasons like this or 2013 every once in a while, which aren’t so fun.

And while I agree with your post to an extent, I feel most coaches recruit what they need now the hardest and let the down the road guys fall into place. But uk isn’t most programs. They don’t take many down the road guys.

But obv no coach is gonna turn down a shot at a premiere prospect just bc of who they already have on the roster. Usually it’s the kids that eliminate the schools that are already well stocked at their position, imo.

But for the record I wish Louisville was in the position to recruit over our underclassmen big men, sans withers whose playing C out of necessity when he’s really a PF. Apparently the staff loves the frosh wiznitzer, but he’s shown relatively nothing so far on the court. But I almost must realize it takes longer for most bigs to adjust to playing people the same size as them night in night out. Or in the position to land any blue chip kid that could help right away regardless of position or who we already have at that position.

I’ve just yet to see it with askew, but I don’t watch every second of every UK game. But when posters are making claims like he’s the worst player cals ever played, worse than harrow etc you’d seem to think y’all would want him recruited over. But who knows maybe he will be the rare unicorn that signs with uk and graduates from UK, and gets much better along the way. I have no ill will for the kid, except I dislike UK so obv I enjoy when y’all lose, but it’s nothing personal I just call it like I see it, and I’ve seen nothing to lead me to believe askew is or will be a great pg. but like I’ve said regarding Russ Smith, I wanted him to transfer after his freshmen year, I thought it was a wasted scholarship on a guy that was too small and couldn’t take care of the ball and was a chucker. There were homeboard conspiracies halfway through his frosh year that he was already gone, that he was going to Manhatten to play for former assistant (can’t spell it) mass——(dude walked in at Uk iirc) since Russ was from nyc. And although my opinions weren’t exactly wrong, I’m sure glad he stuck around and was dead wrong thinking he should transfer.

It’s easy to knock askew when the pgs UK usually brings in are studs from day 1 for the most part. Anywhere else he’d just be a regular freshmen biding his time. But that’s what cals built, that’s what he wanted, and he got it.

I’m sure it’s fun as hell when the pieces fit and everyone lives up to expectations, but then you get seasons like this or 2013 every once in a while, which aren’t so fun.
Do you think UK has it's own standards and set of rules?

Any other school and it's fine but since it's at UK, it's different. Like you said, UK is your rival, so do you think they have/or do things different?

I mean no offense by this, you should know me by now, but I wished I cared enough about UL to study them and create narratives like you seem to do with UK.

I think if Askew is smart, he will accept a back up position for a couple of years, reduce his minutes ~ and therefore his turnovers, etc - get better and could still make it to the pros going that route. He isn’t OAD talent, but working toward a strong jr/sr year has worked out for others across the college landscape. I can picture the guard from KU a couple of years ago (can’t remember his name, but can see him). He went on to make a roster.

Do you think UK has it's own standards and set of rules?

Any other school and it's fine but since it's at UK, it's different. Like you said, UK is your rival, so do you think they have/or do things different?

I mean no offense by this, you should know me by now, but I wished I cared enough about UL to study them and create narratives like you seem to do with UK.

No no no not at all. I meant Cal doesn’t recruit like most coaches. He doesn’t seem to care about recruiting kids that won’t be ready for 2-3 years down the road. I just meant UK recruits so well even kids that don’t work out are still good enough to go to other high P5 teams and be successful.

And Cal doesn’t seem to recruit any “projects” or 3-4 year guys period. And the ones he does bring in that aren’t OaD material usually transfer before they are upperclassmen. Has cal had any players besides Alex Poythress stay *gasp* all 4 years at UK. There has to be a few but I can’t much think of any outside of poythress.

I think if Askew is smart, he will accept a back up position for a couple of years, reduce his minutes ~ and therefore his turnovers, etc - get better and could still make it to the pros going that route. He isn’t OAD talent, but working toward a strong jr/sr year has worked out for others across the college landscape. I can picture the guard from KU a couple of years ago (can’t remember his name, but can see him). He went on to make a roster.

I think ur referring to mason but graham also fits that bill for KU. Always thought graham was the better player even when mason was the NPOY, but I don’t pay much attention to ku unless they are in a big game or I have $$$ on them.

And that’s a tough ask, for a kid that started as a freshmen, to ask them to be a backup for a couple seasons. I’m not saying your wrong and that wouldn’t be the best thing for him.

None taken, your one of the few Uk posters I can go back and forth with that doesn’t result in pointless name calling or grammar policing after about the 3rd rebuttal.

But what kind of “narrative” have I created. Am I saying things that are untrue. There’s two sides to every story so it’s very possible we have different opinions on a subject that are both right.

But anyways we can save it for another day. I hope your day gets better. If it makes you feel any better I’m outside in the 25 degrees moving hay while the ground is frozen so I don’t make ruts. Not exactly a party today for me either. (And I didn’t mean to trivialize whatever u have going on by saying that, I just hope it gets better for you)

I think ur referring to mason but graham also fits that bill for KU. Always thought graham was the better player even when mason was the NPOY, but I don’t pay much attention to ku unless they are in a big game or I have $$$ on them.

And that’s a tough ask, for a kid that started as a freshmen, to ask them to be a backup for a couple seasons. I’m not saying your wrong and that wouldn’t be the best thing for him.
Yes, that’s him! You’re right about asking a freshman to take a step down, but if I’m Askews coach, I’d point out asking a HS senior to run a team effectively is rare, but if he’ll trust me, we will get you prepared for the pros.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
And going back a post or two. Yes, you can very much say Louisville recruited over Darius Perry when we brought in carlik jones.

And askew is a college freshmen just like he would be had he not got held back somewhere along the lines. He turned 18 in July, and normally kids don’t enter their senior year of high school at 18 years old.

The Lander kid at IU reclassed to a class that’s always been above him. He wouldn’t be eligible for the Upcoming nba draft even if he was balling out of control and a top 5 lock. He wouldn’t pass the nba age requirement. (Not sure if true, got it from @iuborden on this very board)

So again, while true that askew could be a hs senior right now, it’s not the same as he SHOULD be a HS Sr right now. His bday is in July like mine so he would be kind of young for his class but I’d bet there are younger freshmen age wise out there that didn’t reclassify.(this is unverified and could be wrong as well) And I’m not holding it against him, bc regardless this is his first year of college, which is a steep learning curve.

But I’m tired of hearing the “narrative” (new fave word) that’s he’s been less than advertised bc he reclassed and is so much younger than all the other freshmen. It’s just simply not true. (a few months younger)

Last edited:
You know after doing a tad of googling I may have some crow to eat. Askew is only a month or so older than Lander. So I’m not sure why IU fans would claim lander couldn’t enter the draft if he wanted to, I don’t see the difference.

Boston and Clarke are both 19 but entered uk at 18 as well, just had birthdays in nov and dec respectively. So 6-7 months older than askew. But my best friend from school was a nov bday so he’s 8 or so months older than me but we were always in the same grade.

I don’t know when things changed but I graduated HS in May then turned 18 in July. And I was youngish, like anyone with a summer-sep birthday. But I never moved up or down a class.

When I was in school you couldn’t even play HS sports if you turned 18 before your senior year started, bc we had PLENTY of kids who were amazing as juniors but couldn’t play as seniors.

Last edited:
And askew is a college freshmen just like he would be had he not got held back somewhere along the lines. He turned 18 in July, and normally kids don’t enter their senior year of high school at 18 years old.

The Lander kid at IU reclassed to a class that’s always been above him. He wouldn’t be eligible for the Upcoming nba draft even if he was balling out of control and a top 5 lock. He wouldn’t pass the nba age requirement.

So again, while true that askew could be a hs senior right now, it’s not the same as he should be a HS right now. His bday is in July like mine so he would be kind of young for his class but I’d bet there are younger freshmen age wise out there that didn’t reclassify. And I’m not holding it against him, bc regardless this is his first year of college, which is a steep learning curve.

But I’m tired of hearing the “narrative” (new fave word) that’s he’s been less than advertised bc he reclassed and is younger than all the other freshmen. It’s just simply not true.
I’ve learned that some just “get it” a little sooner than others, so him just being a freshman . . . There’s still plenty of learning and time to do it ahead of him. He has understudy talent.

It's clearly not easy going from a HS junior to running point at UK. Some can, some can't.

I was thinking the other day when Vitale called Brooks "the veteran", and how sophomore slump isn't a thing at UK anymore. Can't afford to be. Again, does UK have different standards?

How could you not have different standards for underclassmen when there are rarely upperclassmen in the program, sans the grad transfers who are just as new to the program as the freshmen.

Reactions: cdbearde
I don’t like the OAD’s. FSU will never have an abundance of them. Barnes this year. Doubt either Cleveland or Warley are next year. Caleb Mills has transferred in from Houston. Eligible next year. Not sure we’ll have him for more than a year? Led them in scoring as a freshman.

Ham does a good job balancing with the guys who need 2-4 years to develop.

And we lost to Clemson 54-50 fml

Looking at Clemson’s last few games and Miami’s last few games they have been getting blown out every game, except both beat Louisville.

I fear we are gonna play our way out of the tourney down the stretch smdh.

• Sad
Reactions: supergreennole
Mark Williams for Duke would fit in perfectly in the FSU system.
He would, he is impressive and has good hands. He might be able to give Duke something most teams can’t contend with down the stretch, just wonder what kind of conditioning he can have

For as good as Jalen Johnson can be, he gets bullied far too easily and doesn't seem to have an aggressive mentality at all. And he turns the ball over too much. Duke makes me want to stab my eyeballs with a scorching hot sword.

Duke just lost to Miami....yikes. UK doesn't even have a loss that bad. 😆
It's pretty bad. But do you really need to compare Duke and Kentucky? Duke, afterall does have two wins over teams that beat Kentucky. I am just glad that Kentucky sucks ass the same year as Duke does. It's the only reason this board is bearable this year. Lol.

It's pretty bad. But do you really need to compare Duke and Kentucky? Duke, afterall does have two wins over teams that beat Kentucky. I am just glad that Kentucky sucks ass the same year as Duke does. It's the only reason this board is bearable this year. Lol.
Transitive property and stuff, bruh. You know how it goes.

The Lander kid at IU reclassed to a class that’s always been above him. He wouldn’t be eligible for the Upcoming nba draft even if he was balling out of control and a top 5 lock. He wouldn’t pass the nba age requirement. (Not sure if true, got it from @iuborden on this very board)
WTF you mean, "not sure if true"? Bro----C'mon, now... :cool:

Seriously though---No, Lander is not eligible for the draft this year.

WTF you mean, "not sure if true"? Bro----C'mon, now... :cool:

Seriously though---No, Lander is not eligible for the draft this year.

Well he’s only a month younger than askew and turned 18 in August.

would askew be eligible hypothetically?

I guess I’m just wrong and things have changed so much from when I was in school. Again you couldn’t even play if yo were 18 before the year started. Considered adult vs juvenile.

Well he’s only a month younger than askew and turned 18 in August.

would askew be eligible hypothetically?

I guess I’m just wrong and things have changed so much from when I was in school. Again you couldn’t even play if yo were 18 before the year started. Considered adult vs juvenile.
They would both be eligible since they turn 19 this year. You don't have to be 19 by the draft, just turn 19 in the same calendar year.

EtOnHC2VgAAnoDM

I like how Arizona is dead center, equal parts suck and not suck over a bunch of games charted. Talk about consistency.

ADVERTISEMENT