ADVERTISEMENT

Duke most likely blue blood to lose BB status

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
There isn't a blue blood out there that has a more tenuous spot in the blue blood family right now than Duke. At some point we need to ask the tough question, is Duke a true blue blood or are they just riding the coat tails of one coach's success?

Take away Coach K and what do you have at Duke?
ZERO championships
2 Final Fours
7 Elite 8s (one of those with Coach K's players)

How is that a blue blood? It's not.

Compare that to KU, UNC, KY, UCLA and UConn. All of those schools have had success with multiple coaches. You take Coach K away from Duke and they're no better than the Tennessees and Illinois of the CBB world.

If Scheyer doesn't produce anything and the next coach doesn't produce anything it's time to revoke Duke's BB status.

Oh boy

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

# of coaches that have declined the Duke head-coaching position in the last half-century: 0
coincidentally also the # of times Coach K's wife has declined a dick in her ass.

Things that make you go hmmm

# of coaches that have declined the Duke head-coaching position in the last half-century: 0
If you’re never turned down at the bar, you aren’t aiming high enough. The success rate of bagging 4s is better than 9s.

If you’re never turned down at the bar, you aren’t aiming high enough. The success rate of bagging 4s is better than 9s.
does it count as being turned down if she says no, but the roofie says yes? Asking for my younger self.

what? I just put Tennessee in the same class as Duke. One step below the blue bloods.

You sure do have a funny way of saying thank you.
A team is only as good as a team is during a given year. Last time we played Duke we smoked them. The notion that a team has a mythical inoculation by steady success 20, 30 40 or 50 years ago is rubbish. The Vols have outperformed UK over the last decade and the margin of difference has only widened recently.
At this moment of time UT is better than either of them.

Calling oneself a blueblood is only an excuse for when you get your ass kicked and your team couldn't scoreboard.

A team is only as good as a team is during a given year. Last time we played Duke we smoked them. The notion that a team has a mythical inoculation by steady success 20, 30 40 or 50 years ago is rubbish. The Vols have outperformed UK over the last decade and the margin of difference has only widened recently.

Calling oneself a blueblood is only an excuse for when you get your ass kicked and your team couldn't scoreboard.
How do you figure that the Vols have outperformed UK over the past decade?

That is ten years, so would be the 2014/15 season through 2023/24 season, which just ended. In what world has UT outperformed UK in that time period?

Now if you would have said the past 4 yrs, sure, I would agree...but to say the past decade UT has outperformed UK is laughable. Please back that up with support....

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
How do you figure that the Vols have outperformed UK over the past decade?

That is ten years, so would be the 2014/15 season through 2023/24 season, which just ended. In what world has UT outperformed UK in that time period?

Now if you would have said the past 4 yrs, sure, I would agree...but to say the past decade UT has outperformed UK is laughable. Please back that up with support....
mcnick, you know that UT has eclipsed you. Let's not make an ugly scene about this.

mcnick, you know that UT has eclipsed you. Let's not make an ugly scene about this.
But you said UT has outperformed UK in the past decade. In the past decade UK has 3 SEC reg season champs, and 4 SEC tournament champs.

UT has 2 SEC reg champs, and only 1 SEC tournament champ.

Plus UK went to a FF.

If you are going to make statements and try to subtly pass them off as facts, you better make sure to bring the receipts.

But you said UT has outperformed UK in the past decade. In the past decade UK has 3 SEC reg season champs, and 4 SEC tournament champs.

UT has 2 SEC reg champs, and only 1 SEC tournament champ.

Plus UK went to a FF.

If you are going to make statements and try to subtly pass them off as facts, you better make sure to bring the receipts.
I was counting next year too, cause y'all won't be beating Vandy with your noname coach and the few plugs he drags over from BYU.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I was counting next year too, cause y'all won't be beating Vandy with your noname coach and the few plugs he drags over from BYU.
I have no idea how any team is going to look/perform next year...this transfer portal is out of control.

All I know is Pope better field a team that is in the running for a 4-5 seed next yr, as with all the resources and NIL UK has to offer, he has no excuse in my book.

There isn't a blue blood out there that has a more tenuous spot in the blue blood family right now than Duke. At some point we need to ask the tough question, is Duke a true blue blood or are they just riding the coat tails of one coach's success?

Take away Coach K and what do you have at Duke?
ZERO championships
2 Final Fours
7 Elite 8s (one of those with Coach K's players)

How is that a blue blood? It's not.

Compare that to KU, UNC, KY, UCLA and UConn. All of those schools have had success with multiple coaches. You take Coach K away from Duke and they're no better than the Tennessees and Illinois of the CBB world.

If Scheyer doesn't produce anything and the next coach doesn't produce anything it's time to revoke Duke's BB status.
Duke has been a good program. They do not have the following locally that most blue blood programs have; however, they have a national following equal to many. So Duke has been a good program since the mid-1960's. They did not win a title until the '90's but they have been super since, under one coach, but you can't take that away.

Now do we talk about UCLA? No titles in a long, long time. 11 in a short period of time (10 under cheating John Wooden) when they were cheating out the ass with a car dealer millionaire that let the boys have girls in his homes as a recruiting tool so they could covert in while playing at UCLA.

UConn is the hottest program this last 25 years, but prior to that NOTHING. So that is not a blue blood historically, but right now they are the program of this century. If Duke is a blue blood with 5 titles then what is UConn with 6?

UNC, without the NCAA ignoring fake classes they take a big hit; however, UNC has to be considered a blue blood. They have too many wins and too much history to ignore.

KU has been a good team for decades. They have not won much, but they are in my book a blue blood because they have been good for a long, long time.

Kentucky has sucked lately. I think that my team is a blue blood but three titles in 30 years sucks. Do blue bloods do that poorly that long? In that span UK has had Pitino, Smith, Gillispie and Cal as coaches and they came up with three titles with a bunch of talent that most teams would lust after. Cal did less with the most talent than any coach in NCAA history.

Indiana is a blue blood in my book. Why are they not included in your post? They have 5 titles. They had one of the best coaches of all time. They have tradition and a following few teams can match. I hate Indiana down to the marrow of my bones but they are a fine basketball program. I have been to Bloomington often to watch Indiana and it is a mecca of basketball. So let us be honest. Indiana is a blue blood.

I am down on Kentucky right at this moment. The last 8 years we had a coach that could care less about the team that he coached. It sucks. But when it comes to who is a blue blood: then the teams I mentioned are, in my opinion, BLUE BLOODS.

Reactions: Deepelm

Ever notice that it's almost always non-blueblood fans talking about blueblood status? Then getting worked up that people are talking about it? 😆

I have no idea how any team is going to look/perform next year...this transfer portal is out of control.

All I know is Pope better field a team that is in the running for a 4-5 seed next yr, as with all the resources and NIL UK has to offer, he has no excuse in my book.
If he does great for him, but I think that is a tad unrealistic expectation to put on him. He is starting at ground zero.

Ever notice that it's almost always non-blueblood fans talking about blueblood status? Then getting worked up that people are talking about it? 😆
Ever notice that I never bring it up? I look at it like I look at the easter Bunny or Santa Claus.

If you're looking for a life partner (or coach) in a bar, you're already aiming too low. UNC has some experience with 4s, being rejected by Eddie Fogler - and tying the knot with Matt Doherty. So, 50% success rate there.

Fortunately, Duke being the elitist institution that it is, finds much better prospects at the country club.

If you're looking for a life partner (or coach) in a bar, you're already aiming too low. UNC has some experience with 4s, being rejected by Eddie Fogler - and tying the knot with Matt Doherty. So, 50% success rate there.

Fortunately, Duke being the elitist institution that it is, finds much better prospects at the country club.
Duke Alums

titanic-rich.gif

Last edited:

Doherty won COTY before it all went to shit. Still a bit early to know about Jon.

The “never turned down” point still stands. If you got every job you ever applied for or dated every girl you ever asked out then you might not have aimed high enough.

Did Duke consider Hurley before hiring Scheyer? Probably could have had him.

That’s gotta sting.

• Haha
Reactions: Deepelm
One ACC Tournament Title. One Elite Eight. Not bad. I'm content for now.
What are your though on Harris? Have you watched him much? I think this kid is WAY under ranked and will play a lot this year. If I had to choose between him and Evans, I’d take Harris hands down. I don’t get why he has been ranked so low? He has actually moved up a lot but still low in my opinion

What are your though on Harris? Have you watched him much? I think this kid is WAY under ranked and will play a lot this year. If I had to choose between him and Evans, I’d take Harris hands down. I don’t get why he has been ranked so low? He has actually moved up a lot but still low in my opinion

He looks good in highlights. I've never watched one of his games, so I don't think I can adequately judge him at this point.

I think I know the reason why several Duke fans aren't excited about him - and sadly, I think it's because he looks like David McClure. He clearly has a much higher trajectory than McClure. But, when you're the lowest ranked recruit in your class and you look like McClure, that's why some hesitate. I have heard several folks are very bullish on him, however.

Reactions: Blueheart32
ADVERTISEMENT