ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K is crazy

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Fantastic and in depth article about his obsession with game film… apparently watches game film for four, six, eight hours after games, always, no matter what. Sounds absolutely horrible, unless I suppose you are completely obsessed with basketball. Definitely something I haven’t seen many articles written about, and a real glimpse into what some of these top echelon guys are like.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I’m always curious what the expected reaction to posting an article like this is

I’m always curious what the expected reaction to posting an article like this is

I expect certain people will get angry and yell HOME BOARD, and basketball fans will enjoy reading a pretty in depth basketball story about a pretty big figure and about an aspect of basketball we don’t often consider?

Reactions: GE Nole
Over selling their team. Some don't feel the need to sell.

Dude's with huge peckers don't say, "I have a huge pecker". They know it's huge.

I'm sure it's a great article. Thanks for sharing.

i-can-do-it-myself-scarymovie2.gif

basketball fans will enjoy reading a pretty in depth basketball story about a pretty big figure and about an aspect of basketball we don’t often consider?
I bet we’ll see a fair amount of this

Nice article. Some of it isn’t all that surprising, he’s clearly obsessed with basketball and winning. Very MJ or Kobe esque.

But the comments from Brey and Boeheim were funny.

No surprise. Friends with our high school coaches. They stay after games til 1AM sometimes watching film. It’s why I would never do it. Much prefer my family and social life. If you want to be the best these days, even at the high school level, you better be all-in. I’d expect millionaires to do the same. I mean, Roy won a title and went recruiting the next day. Part of the job.

No surprise. Friends with our high school coaches. They stay after games til 1AM sometimes watching film. It’s why I would never do it. Much prefer my family and social life. If you want to be the best these days, even at the high school level, you better be all-in. I’d expect millionaires to do the same. I mean, Roy won a title and went recruiting the next day. Part of the job.

Yeah, you have to have a certain obsession, you know?

Speaking of part of the job and recruiting, read something interesting from earlier in the year from K where he talked about what an incredible relief it was, to not have to be involved with recruiting... he said something to the effect that it completely changed the job.

Also thought it was interesting how he basically doesn't sleep after a loss, and comes into practice edgy and angry, and how that is somewhat intentional, because it creates a really uncomfortable feeling in practices after a loss. Glad he coaches the team I root for, but man, sort of glad I never had to play for him:)

What I gathered from that article is that coach k seems to value basketball over his family

Next we are going to get word he actually designs and implements a practice plan and just marvel at the ingenuity.

You read the article? Yeah, his practice stuff is NUTS... all handwritten, the same form for years, and planned to the damn minute.

I know that the top people in their field are often really obsessive, but man, when you see HOW crazy they are... I just could never be like that. Wouldn't want to be:)

You read the article? Yeah, his practice stuff is NUTS... all handwritten, the same form for years, and planned to the damn minute.

I know that the top people in their field are often really obsessive, but man, when you see HOW crazy they are... I just could never be like that. Wouldn't want to be:)

I mean, my buddy who coached church league with me years ago used to have a minute by minute practice plan, lol. K is a great coach but just not sure any of this is earth shattering.

The biggest similarity to me in most elite coaches is how arrogant they are. They are great and they know it. Some can hide it better than others but they all have huge egos.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I mean, my buddy who coached church league with me years ago used to have a minute by minute practice plan, lol. K is a great coach but just not sure any of this is earth shattering.
Roy used to have the practice plan down to the minute also. Or at least I read that a few times. I haven’t read anything about how HD handles it but I know he kept some of the traditions alive.

The biggest similarity to me in most elite coaches is how arrogant they are. They are great and they know it. Some can hide it better than others but they all have huge egos.
Most really high level managers I’ve ever met or had to deal with were similar. Super arrogant. Couldn't stand most of them.

The ones I worked with before they “ascended” had some of that before, but took it to a new level after. It’s like they started reading their own press.

Yeah, his practice stuff is NUTS... all handwritten, the same form for years, and planned to the damn minute.

I do this for my travel baseball team, for free. They are 12. I might need to get in touch with the local paper about writing an article on me. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Most really high level managers I’ve ever met or had to deal with were similar. Super arrogant. Couldn't stand most of them.

The ones I worked with before they “ascended” had some of that before, but took it to a new level after. It’s like they started reading their own press.

Oh yeah, many of the people at the top of their profession are a bit nuts and obsessive. There are plenty of stories about how ornery and touchy K can be, same as Kobe and MJ and Scotty Bowman and Bill B., and even folks like Elon Musk and Tim Cook and Bill Gates and so many others... It maybe takes that sort of insane drive to get you there.

Personally, I'm fine with having a normal person amount of drive and having a regular career:)

Fantastic and in depth article about his obsession with game film… apparently watches game film for four, six, eight hours after games, always, no matter what. Sounds absolutely horrible, unless I suppose you are completely obsessed with basketball. Definitely something I haven’t seen many articles written about, and a real glimpse into what some of these top echelon guys are like.

I will be glad when Coach K is gone. He and Duke get entirely too much media and it gets old real fast. I think Coach K has been a great coach and it's nothing personal, but I'll be glad to see him gone.

Reactions: treyforuk
Oh yeah, many of the people at the top of their profession are a bit nuts and obsessive. There are plenty of stories about how ornery and touchy K can be, same as Kobe and MJ and Scotty Bowman and Bill B., and even folks like Elon Musk and Tim Cook and Bill Gates and so many others... It maybe takes that sort of insane drive to get you there.

Personally, I'm fine with having a normal person amount of drive and having a regular career:)
As of right now I’m middle management at best. To me that means they saw just enough psychopathy in me to join the lower ranks of their stupid club. Just enough of an ass hole.

As of right now I’m middle management at best. To me that means they saw just enough psychopathy in me to join the lower ranks of their stupid club. Just enough of an ass hole.

I think there are plenty of normal people at many levels:) I think that absolute pinnacle... that is where you get the nuttiest ones:)

ADVERTISEMENT