ADVERTISEMENT

Closest you've came to making or being part of history?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Only thing I can think of is being late to Alrosa Villa (might have been Alarosa Villa(to lazy to look it up)) in Columbus. I had tickets to see Pantera, my former roommate was always late. I gave him so much shit for always being late, but that was one day I was super glad he didn't change it up.

*I truly miss that dude, not dimebag darrell, but my roommate. He was later murdered also.

Any great stories out there?

*sorry for the bad joke, it was an ongoing joke amongst us.No one cared b/c it's true. edited it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank_
Back in the dark ages I worked with the organizing committee for the Atlanta Olympics. Spent every night in Centennial Park. Had just left when the bomb went off... if you havent seen the movie, Richard Jewell shows pretty accurately how they ruined that guy's life.

Back in the dark ages I worked with the organizing committee for the Atlanta Olympics. Spent every night in Centennial Park. Had just left when the bomb went off... if you havent seen the movie, Richard Jewell shows pretty accurately how they ruined that guy's life.
nuts right? just to be so close to history? Your story is 10x mine.

nuts right? just to be so close to history? Your story is 10x mine.

Yup, crazy... like many others i also had a flight out of nyc on 9/11... obviously got cancelled, but living in CT at the time, kids in school --friends lost parents-- yeah, just crazy.

Only thing I can think of is being late to Alrosa Villa (might have been Alarosa Villa(to lazy to look it up)) in Columbus. I had tickets to see Pantera, my former roommate was always late. I gave him so much shit for always being late, but that was one day I was super glad he didn't change it up.

*I truly miss that dude, not dimebag darrell, but my roommate. He was later murdered also.

Any great stories out there?

*sorry for the bad joke, it was an ongoing joke amongst us.No one cared b/c it's true. edited it out.

That’s wild, and ***ing terrifying. Probably avoided a life of PTSD too.

The world definitely misses Dime, incredible talent.

That’s wild, and ***ing terrifying. Probably avoided a life of PTSD too.

The world definitely misses Dime, incredible talent.
My entire life has been PTSD. Some ppl here I've talked to know the stories, but yeah, that would have added. The way they all died is something no one should see, when we showed up it was already taped off. (about 15-30 minutes afterwards). there wasn't social media then (like it is today) and it took a while to find out what happened.

Three years ago when the power ball was at the highest ever me and my wife each got a ticket. She read the winning numbers to me and she has the first 4 of 5 or 5 of 6 whatever it is. She won $100.

The number she missed was the highest number so we got to it last. She thought I was joking when I kept saying “yes, yes, yes, yes”

I legit almost killed myself burning my house down. If my sister wasn’t home I would’ve.

I was in 9th grade and the night before I made crab rangoons with my mom. The next night I wanted to make them myself. I remembered we boiled oil in a pot so I started to do that.

I just didn’t realize oil boils at a lower temp than water so I had the burner on high. Before it even really boiled it started on fire.

What puts a fire out? Water. I grab the handle and carry it over to the sink and turn the faucet on.

BOOM

Fricken explosion basically. I turned my head in time and it singed a whole side of my hair.

I turned and threw the pan instinctively as it happened so now I’m trapped in the kitchen with burning oil all over the floor.

I’m 14 years old panicking and start filling up another pint glass of water to throw on it to put it out not realize why the first explosion happened. As I’m done that my sister runs in from the other room, sees what I’m doing, and starts screaming baking soda.

I grab baking soda and put it out but my kitchen was crisped and my hand still has burn scars.

My sister said that she knew it happened because she was in the other room 20 feet away and saw a fireball fly across the ceiling.

If you’ve never seen what actually happens when you put water on a grease fire watch this.

I legit almost killed myself burning my house down. If my sister wasn’t home I would’ve.

I was in 9th grade and the night before I made crab rangoons with my mom. The next night I wanted to make them myself. I remembered we boiled oil in a pot so I started to do that.

I just didn’t realize oil boils at a lower temp than water so I had the burner on high. Before it even really boiled it started on fire.

What puts a fire out? Water. I grab the handle and carry it over to the sink and turn the faucet on.

BOOM

Fricken explosion basically. I turned my head in time and it singed a whole side of my hair.

I turned and threw the pan instinctively as it happened so now I’m trapped in the kitchen with burning oil all over the floor.

I’m 14 years old panicking and start filling up another pint glass of water to throw on it to put it out not realize why the first explosion happened. As I’m done that my sister runs in from the other room, sees what I’m doing, and starts screaming baking soda.

I grab baking soda and put it out but my kitchen was crisped and my hand still has burn scars.

My sister said that she knew it happened because she was in the other room 20 feet away and saw a fireball fly across the ceiling.

If you’ve never seen what actually happens when you put water on a grease fire watch this.

Holy shit dude.

If talking about random near death experiences, I can't count had many I've had. I was very reckless as a kid and had bad luck or company as an adult.

Half my hand is gone from doing stunts on a motorcycle as a 12 year old (got caught in the chain and sprocket)

I know I'm going to crash into my casket all used up. Zero point zero chance I die peacefully. My wife and mom have accepted that.

Reactions: IUBtown
Holy shit dude.

Get this....

For a full month I had to re-dress my burn wounds twice a day. My doctor did a great job and because of that we avoided skin grafts. the sucker blistered up soooo big.

Anyways after a month, my doctor cleared me to start practicing football as long as I cant it wrapped.

We wrapped it good the way we had been. 4 fingers together and thumb out because the worst part of the burn was between my thumb and index finger (where I was holding the pot handle).

On the very first play, my thumb bent completely back and broke.

smh. I played my whole freshman season in cast with padding over it like a giant club. I caught a TD pass with that S.O.B on though.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Get this....

For a full month I had to re-dress my burn wounds twice a day. My doctor did a great job and because of that we avoided skin grafts. the sucker blistered up soooo big.

Anyways after a month, my doctor cleared me to start practicing football as long as I cant it wrapped.

We wrapped it good the way we had been. 4 fingers together and thumb out because the worst part of the burn was between my thumb and index finger (where I was holding the pot handle).

On the very first play, my thumb bent completely back and broke.

smh
That's crazy. I had a skin graph. The 12 yr old dare devil I mentioned above, they took skin off my thigh to replace what was torn off. I was scared friends would know I beat off due to having hairy palms from the skin graph. I got home and my friend actually pulled the waded up skin from the spoke and gave it back to me like I could use it. around that time we set his head on fire lighting fire works and burned his ear off. Much later my mom called and said he died to overdosing on meth.(I so glad I got out of that godforsaken place, we only moved there b/c my mom had a 3rd husband and was later murdered by another old frind of mine over windows).

All my friends are dead isn't just lyrics for me. Might be why I'm so laid back now.

Last edited:

BOOM

Soooooo, When or IF we ever have a "Rivals Members BBQ", we know who the fck not to let near the grill....:eek:

I've been a part of "HISTORY", about 6 times.....

I've been a part of 6 No-Hitters in baseball. Including two perfect games...:D

Albeit 4 of the 6 "No-No's" were HS games.

I hinted at this story years ago but couldn’t tell it at time. I used to be in charge of a software development team for a company that made county clerk software. Our software ran the whole show when it came to land records, tax collection, voter registration, marriage license, etc. But in addition to that, we had Wordpress sites for small counties.

Anyways, one day we get a work request to update a site for the new Rowan County clerk. No big deal. Made the update. She called back furious because we got her name wrong. She apparently just got remarried. Ok. We updated again. Okay it’s cool. Never thought anything of it.

Few weeks later I had to travel to Rowan County and met both the clerk and her mother. She was a nice lady I guess. Typical clerk personality. Her mother was clerk for decades and technology passed that broad by in 1980. She routinely called the helpdesk to access her email (which had nothing to do with us) for instance. So, the office was kind of behind technology-wise.

Anyways, the new clerk’s name was Kim Davis, and I was responsible for her marriage licensing software. Few months pass and gay marriage is legalized. Kim Davis refused and the media storm started.

That story was widely reported and followed, but what wasn’t reported is that I couldn’t update their ****ing software because she refused to let us change the verbiage from “man and wife” to “party 1 and party 2” on the marriage forms. Eventually she had to have her own special version of our application. Our little Wordpress site suddenly gets flooded with comments from people thinking they are talking to Kim Davis. It was a shit show.

But also I was a click of a button away from making two of my friends the first gay couple in Rowan County history. Of course neither are gay. Pretty sure I would’ve been fired or possibly gone to jail for it but god damn would it have been funny....

I crossed the Delaware with George Washington. I was the guy holding the flag! SmokinSmile
2-washington-crossing-the-delaware-river-emanuel-gottlieb-leutze-canvas-print.jpg

I hinted at this story years ago but couldn’t tell it at time. I used to be in charge of a software development team for a company that made county clerk software. Our software ran the whole show when it came to land records, tax collection, voter registration, marriage license, etc. But in addition to that, we had Wordpress sites for small counties.

Anyways, one day we get a work request to update a site for the new Rowan County clerk. No big deal. Made the update. She called back furious because we got her name wrong. She apparently just got remarried. Ok. We updated again. Okay it’s cool. Never thought anything of it.

Few weeks later I had to travel to Rowan County and met both the clerk and her mother. She was a nice lady I guess. Typical clerk personality. Her mother was clerk for decades and technology passed that broad by in 1980. She routinely called the helpdesk to access her email (which had nothing to do with us) for instance. So, the office was kind of behind technology-wise.

Anyways, the new clerk’s name was Kim Davis, and I was responsible for her marriage licensing software. Few months pass and gay marriage is legalized. Kim Davis refused and the media storm started.

That story was widely reported and followed, but what wasn’t reported is that I couldn’t update their ****ing software because she refused to let us change the verbiage from “man and wife” to “party 1 and party 2” on the marriage forms. Eventually she had to have her own special version of our application. Our little Wordpress site suddenly gets flooded with comments from people thinking they are talking to Kim Davis. It was a shit show.

But also I was a click of a button away from making two of my friends the first gay couple in Rowan County history. Of course neither are gay. Pretty sure I would’ve been fired or possibly gone to jail for it but god damn would it have been funny....
I remember you talking about this. I actually remember you talking about the county clerk software more than I remember you talking about having to keep secret. I think I tried to pitch a business idea to you regarding land records being accessed online for a fee.

Reactions: bkingUK
Mines near death I’ve told before. Pushing over semi dead trees with a front loader tractor. Foot slipped in the clutch and one shook. Top 6ft of the tree broke off and went through the space in steering wheel and between my legs.

BOOM

giphy.gif

BOOM

To be fair, I would about kill myself for some good crab Rangoon too.

Reactions: I am stupid
Our homemade ones were sooooo good, dude. I don't eat chinese food but I've been trying to find rangoons that compared to what my mom and I made for years. No luck.
There was a Chinese buffet in Lafayette while I was in school that I’d always go across the river for honestly just for their crab Rangoon. They were almost like mini pizza calzones size wise, it’s permanently closed now and haven’t found as good of one since. My favorite local Chinese place has great food but crab rangoons suck unfortunately. (As much as they can suck anyway)

Almost got bulldozed by a receiver from Maryland, and a linebacker and defensive back from Wake Forest. I was 10 years old standing on the sidelines, probably closer than I needed to be, and my brother yanked me back a bit as they were coming right towards me. I was within inches of impact. Seriously, I probably didn't weigh more than 75 pounds. I could have been completely wrecked, with three juggernauts making a direct path towards me.

My brother was being recruited by Wake, so that's why we were on the sidelines.

not me but my cousin was on the naval ship that retrieved the astronaut from the moon landing.

as for me I had a Laquer Thinner barrel blow up near me, my glasses saved at least my eyes if not my life, suffered 3rd degree burns, 2nd degree burns and 1st degree burns on my face and hands.

longest 3 months of my life while recovering.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
@ 30 years ago I was working at the family owned welding/machine shop. Guy brings in a transmission that has a big part of the aluminum housing busted. We unload it from the back of his truck and place it on the floor. I tell the guy to come back in the afternoon and it will be ready.

We had placed it on the floor and after he leaves I go and get all my stuff. Got the welding leads and all my gear ready when I think, why not just pick the damn thing up and move it to one of the welding tables where it will be easier to work on? ( I was young and strong back then, lol)

So, I proceed to pick up the welding lead in one hand, the ground in the other, with no welding gloves on, (done that a million times before, btw), when I'd taken about two steps and all of a sudden I had 220 volts going through my body. I couldn't turn loose of either cable of course, and it was starting to stand me up on my toes. I'm thinking, well, here it is, this is how I die.

At the time it was in the dead of winter and my dad and another guy were standing next to an old coal stoker stove warming their hands. (Not many will know what a stoker stove is, I realize that) Problem was, they were both turned away from me and I was unable to say anything, couldn't even moan. Finally, my dad sensed something was wrong and turned around. He put his welding gloves on and jerked the ground lead out of my hand. Saved my life, but I will say, I was AMPED UP all day. (Pun intended)

From that day forward I ALWAYS wore my gloves anytime I was near electricity.

I am scared of electricity.

Welders use that as their major asset, plus acetylene. Acetylene will blow you away.
Oh yeah, acetylene is some bad stuff, no doubt. I never had a problem with it, but years ago I was at a plant doing some work when I looked and my torch hose had caught fire and was working it's way towards the oxygen and acetylene tanks. I was cutting some very thick steel and I think a hot molten globule, (how often do you get to work the word "globule" into an everyday conversation, amiright?), fell onto my torch line by accident.

Pretty sure that's about as fast as I've ever moved in my life, to get to the tanks and shut them off. In THEORY it should have been OK, as there's a back flow regulator on each tank, but I wasn't going to take that chance. I'd watched all the videos of various tanks exploding, the stem being knocked off, etc, to be sufficiently worried.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Shithead tried to get into OU game with bomb in backpack in ‘05. Got turned away and then blew himself up across the street on a park bench.

ADVERTISEMENT