ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Top 100 Players in College Basketball

PorkshankRedemption

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2011
A lot of questionable decisions here...

But I'm intrigued to see if there are any Purdue fans that could speak on Edey at #30...would you put him in the top 30 players in the Big10? Perhaps I'm unaware of the astronomical jump he made in the off-season. He had two awesome games at the end of the year before the conference tournament...but he'll still be coming off the bench, right?

Also, any thoughts from Kentucky fans? Is Brooks your top guy? I would have put him behind at least Wheeler & Grady...if not Collins.

Making a top 100 is hard, but this felt rough.

But I'm intrigued to see if there are any Purdue fans that could speak on Edey at #30...would you put him in the top 30 players in the Big10? Perhaps I'm unaware of the astronomical jump he made in the off-season. He had two awesome games at the end of the year before the conference tournament...but he'll still be coming off the bench, right?
Top 30 of the Big Ten? Hell yeah. Top 30 in the country? Probably not because I don't know how he gets more than 20 minutes per game with Trevion Williams in front of him. I'd probably put him top 50-60 tho and if TW wasn't there, he might be top 40.

His per 40 metrics were great last year and he is looking much improved this fall. He played for Canada in the FIBA U19 and averaged 15 points and 14 rebounds in just 23 minutes en route to making the all tournament team with Chet Holmgren, Jaden Ivey, Caleb Houston and Victor Wembanyama (who is a stud).

Reactions: PorkshankRedemption

Also, any thoughts from Kentucky fans? Is Brooks your top guy? I would have put him behind at least Wheeler & Grady...if not Collins.

He showed he made a jump at the U19 World Cup playing for Canada. He dominated throughout the tourney. Below were who made the all-tourney team.

- Victor Wembanyama (will be 1st pick in 2023 draft and would be 1st in 2022 if he were eligible)
- Chet Holmgren (will be 1st or 2nd pick in 2022 draft)
- Jaden Ivey (late lottery pick)
- Nikola Jovic (late 1st rd)
- Zach Edey (Givony has him at #45 prospect for 2022 draft, ahead of Coburn, Liddel, and Jackson-Davis)

Top 30 of the Big Ten? Hell yeah. Top 30 in the country? Probably not because I don't know how he gets more than 20 minutes per game with Trevion Williams in front of him. I'd probably put him top 50-60 tho and if TW wasn't there, he might be top 40.

His per 40 metrics were great last year and he is looking much improved this fall. He played for Canada in the FIBA U19 and averaged 15 points and 14 rebounds in just 23 minutes en route to making the all tournament team with Chet Holmgren, Jaden Ivey, Caleb Houston and Victor Wembanyama (who is a stud).
Houstan did not make all tourney. Jovic from Serbia did.

Yeah, the top 30 was more tongue in cheek. I guess I just find it hard to put a guy top 30, if even top 100, if he puts up 0 pts in 15 minutes in the NCAAT. It's an incredibly small sample size, but as are his successes. He only played 36% of the minutes in 2020-21.

Yeah, that’s probably the worst I’ve seen. I could say a lot of examples, but just to name a couple:

Bacot at 18? Seriously?

Chris Lykes at 51, above Isaiah Wong!?

Andrew Nembhard at 21? He’s maybe not even the 4th best player on Gonzaga.

Yeah, that’s probably the worst I’ve seen. I could say a lot of examples, but just to name a couple:

Bacot at 18? Seriously?

I'm a Hog fan and the home board thinks Chris is somewhere between the 4th to 6th best player on the team. This list was really bad. Umude/Davis are going to be Arkansas' two best players.

Yeah, the top 30 was more tongue in cheek. I guess I just find it hard to put a guy top 30, if even top 100, if he puts up 0 pts in 15 minutes in the NCAAT. It's an incredibly small sample size, but as are his successes. He only played 36% of the minutes in 2020-21.
I'll add that most reports we've heard is Edey's been outplaying returning 1st team All Big Ten and HM All American Trevion Williams in practice. Some even think he may have wrestled the starting job away from him but I'll believe it when I see it.

What a crazy good problem to have. Purdue might legitimately have 2 of the top 10 centers in the country and is tasked with finding minutes for both.

If Kihei Clark is UVA's best player, we are going to be mad trash this year

Reactions: GE Nole
I'll add that most reports we've heard is Edey's been outplaying returning 1st team All Big Ten and HM All American Trevion Williams in practice. Some even think he may have wrestled the starting job away from him but I'll believe it when I see it.

What a crazy good problem to have. Purdue might legitimately have 2 of the top 10 centers in the country and is tasked with finding minutes for both.

But you don’t have Omar Payne

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz and VulvHa

Based on preseason, TyTy is the guy, Great basketball IQ and has all the tools. After him its a toss up between 3-4 guys.

Washington will be UK's best player.

As someone who has always been pretty low on Williams relatively speaking I could definitely see this being the case. Williams is a below the rim center with bad efficiency numbers and he’s not a rim protector. He’s a good player but I don’t think he’s the 6th best player in the Big Ten, let alone the country. Edey at the very least gives you elite defensive upside

Bacot at 18? Seriously?

Eh, that's fair about Nembhard, but he did win sixth man of the year last season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his role increase this season at Gonzaga...

Eh, that's fair about Nembhard, but he did win sixth man of the year last season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his role increase this season at Gonzaga...

I’m not suggesting he’s a bad player. But 21st means someone would be a borderline all American, and one of the 3 or 4 best at that position in the country.

I’m not suggesting he’s a bad player. But 21st means someone would be a borderline all American, and one of the 3 or 4 best at that position in the country.

In terms of impact, I don't think all of the positions are equally distributed. Of the 15 AP All-Americans last year, six of them were playing the center position (Garza, Timme, Mobley, Dickinson, Cockburn, Krutwig). A lot of these bigs that stay 3+ years are great for college basketball, but they may not immediately make the leap to the NBA if they struggle with PnR defense and/or shooting from the perimeter. While the NBA focuses on perimeter-oriented skills, the likelihood that many of the top-end collegiate players are bigs is likely to continue.

Point guards also tend to be overrepresented on All-American/All-Conference teams. When you constantly have the ball in your hands, it goes without saying that the lead ball-handlers are going to have a bigger impact on most teams than someone who sits on the wing.

Here's a crazy stat that most aren't aware of: the last time a SF won the AP NPOY award was in 1993 with Indiana's Calbert Cheaney. When I say SF, I'm talking about guys that actually played the 3 in college. McDermott, Durant, and Battier frequently played the 3 in the NBA, however they were almost exclusively playing the 4 position in college.

ADVERTISEMENT