ADVERTISEMENT

Can a team have a successful season without winning a title?

I think I'd argue that pretty much any Final Four season is a success. The tournament's just such a crapshoot - playing well for six games in a row is damned tough.

It's a little different in series-based sports like MLB and NBA, where a team's quality generally does come to the forefront over a 5 or 7 game stretch.

Its a dumb question. There were already four 11 seeds making it to the final four, I suppose it was considered a highly successful season for each of them and no one felt bad not winning a title.

Depends on how big of a loser you are. Winners win. End of story.

11Fg.gif

Someone go tell UMBC they didn't have a successful season when they made the tourney and upset a #1 seed in the first round.

Reactions: jhmossy
Just look back to UK's 1992. It was a heartbreaking loss, but that team over achieved.
That team was a 2-seed.....And really good. Its a great story, but what some don't realize is the 1991 team was 22-6, and ranked in the Top 10. Had they been eligible for the tourney, most certainly would have made some noise...92 team was loaded with shooters......Had 4 Parade All-Americans....3 Mr. Basketball's, and a monster in Jamal Mashburn. That team just fit perfectly with what Rick wanted to do.....

Everyone defines successful differently I guess. A title is certainly one way. I usually want to see improvement from year to year.

Circumstances matter, too. If it’s supposed to be a rebuilding year where you’re projected preseason to be like an 8-seed or something but you somehow win a conference championship and make the Sweet Sixteen, that’s definitely a success. If you come in hyped preseason anywhere in the top 10, I think it does kind of become Final Four or bust.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Was 2015 a successful season? I say no.. that team should have gone 40-0 and didn't even make the FF. 38-1 was totally awesome but no way we should not have won it all. To make matters worse fvckin dook wins it. I kick the crap outta my dog every time see a list of Title winners when i see Duke 2015.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Was 2015 a successful season? I say no.. that team should have gone 40-0 and didn't even make the FF. 38-1 was totally awesome but no way we should not have won it all. To make matters worse fvckin dook wins it. I kick the crap outta my dog every time see a list of Title winners when i see Duke 2015.
Agreed. The 1 loss is more disappointing than the 38 wins are enjoyable. I wanted Duke so bad that next game. For the first time since ‘78 they were going to get prison raped by UK. “The shot” was going to be too embarrassing for CBS to keep replaying if UK had gone in dry on them that next game. Towns would likely have had an absolute field day against Morant.

Booker was missing shots that night, and Wisconsin had 13 players, an assistant coach and an equipment manager have career nights. They over-exerted themselves on us and couldnt even muster enough energy to annoy Duke in the Championship game.

Last edited:
Of course. The run UK made in 2014 was maybe my favorite one in my life. Didn't end with a title but doesn't change how much fun it was.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT