ADVERTISEMENT

Block/Charge Call

NBA officials for you....And look there are college guys like that---NO DOUBT. But Crawford, among other NBA officials----man,those guys. Wow.

Crawford a nice guy it seems---But as arrogant asany person I have ever met.
I could only imagine some stories you have to tell.

And a flagrant. Lol

That was a really weak flagrant call. What is the offensive player supposed to do when the defender sticks their face into his chest? Not attempt a shot? I don’t get it.

As for charges, we should eliminate the rule entirely. I’ve been saying it for probably 5 years. We already have player control fouls and we already have push offs and hooks.

There’s no other sport where we reward defenders for falling down. And worse, it’s really dangerous for player safety. There was a no call tonight in the FSU/Miami game where the Miami defender in the post flopped while “defending” a basic post move. Half the players stopped playing when the defender flopped down because they just assumed a foul would be called. (Should have been a flop warning but it was just a no call).

So then the offensive player goes up for the easy dunk, but now the defender is lying on the ground under the basket. Fortunately both players avoided injury but it was very close to him being landed on, and the offensive player nearly sprained their ankle trying to avoid landing on the guy.

Get that crap out of the game. The sport needs plays at the rim, not bodies lying on the ground in the paint because guys have been trained that if you fall down you can often fool a ref. Remove charges altogether.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think RJs charge call was right and both of loves charges were correct. Rj was backpeddling. The defender went side to side on Caleb's.

I thought the defender was good on both of Love's drives but his position did his job and stopped Love. But it shouldn't be a charge when you fall down to create the foul, which is what happened. Just do your job in cutting off his driving lane and stopping him, which is what happened. Neither were a block but things would regulate themselves if those would just be no calls. We've all played basketball and know when guys actually are knocked down and when they go down on their own. Just stop rewarding players for falling down on their own. Officials clearly, and understandably, have a hard time with it. So the solution is to just stop calling it unless it's clear and obvious. Get rid of the stupid T rule and just don't call it and let the defender stay on the ground.

The last charge RJ drew was correct. The one on the fast break I thought was very bad.

Reactions: GE Nole
The officiating is just terrible all the away around. Leaky get's a flagrant 2 for a foul that Keatts said was a basketball play, it should of been at least a fragrant 1. The refs got the call right with RJ basing on how they were calling it last night. I though I knew what a block/charge was, after last night I may as well flip a coin because that's what it seems like what most of the refs are doing.

The sport would be 147% better (I ran the numbers) if secondary defenders were not able to draw charges. Sliding under guys in the air is dangerous at best but hey it let's zebras do their charge dance so it'll never change

Reactions: GE Nole
I had more of an issue with an and-1 taken away earlier in the game when the defender decided to plant himself in the middle of Mintz’s step. That last one was really close to that, too.

Yes! That was a horrible call. Absolutely should have been an and-one. Think that was on a fast break with a little over 5 minutes left.

Still dumbfounded about Girard saving the ball, and deflecting it right underneath the basket. WTH! 4-year starter should know better than that.

23-3 free throw disparity is kind of wild, too.

Yes! That was a horrible call. Absolutely should have been an and-one. Think that was on a fast break with a little over 5 minutes left.

Still dumbfounded about Girard saving the ball, and deflecting it right underneath the basket. WTH! 4-year starter should know better than that.

23-3 free throw disparity is kind of wild, too.

I think Girard knew the ball was going out off of him. Saving it was not a smart play but heat of the moment and all that.

Maliq Brown’s box out, or lack there of, was the egregious error. Inexcusable. And he’s our ‘good’ rebounder!

Reactions: dukedevilz
The sport would be 147% better (I ran the numbers) if secondary defenders were not able to draw charges. Sliding under guys in the air is dangerous at best but hey it let's zebras do their charge dance so it'll never change
I agree to an extent----I'd like to see NCAA adopt 3 second defensive rule---THAT would eliminate a lot of charges drawn by a secondary defender.

Also, I'd like to see the rule written differently in terms of drawing a charge, especially by a secondary guy....Once the offense gathers the ball, if secondary is not in a legal guarding positon, automatic block.

I rarely call a charge via secondary defenders, unless its OBVIOUS, or IF the offensive player is out of control. I hate taking away a good offensive move, just b/c some guy takes two steps, and gets in the fukin way...

ADVERTISEMENT