ADVERTISEMENT

Best arenas you have visited

Cameron Indoor against UNC was the best atmosphere I’ve been to hands down.

Yum! Center for Duke game was average from an atmosphere standpoint but overall a really nice arena to visit.

Humble Fieldhouse was amazing for atmosphere but really hot without A/C and awkward to get around.

Underrated: Cintas Center. Gets really loud and not a bad seat in the house.
there are 20 high school gyms in Indiana as big and better than Cameron. just sayin;...,

Allen fieldhouse is my favorite venue in all of sport. It's like going back in time. The place oozes history and tradition. And man that place gets LOUD. It's so much louder than it comes across on TV. I've never experienced anything like it.

Rupp for average games - boring/not loud
Rupp for big games - one of the best/toughest environments in the country, if not the best.

I've only ever been to Rupp, Freedom Hall, and the Yum! Center. All three are fantastic in different ways.
This, really. Been to Rupp many, many times. Great venue when it's a big game, i.e. UL, Florida, etc, etc...My brother and I went years ago when MSU came to Rupp. My gawd!!! I believe MSU was ranked in the Top 10. That place was loud. I've been to other games where it has gotten loud, but honestly feel that is the loudest I've personally eveer heard Rupp. Though a few years later when a very good UT team came to Rupp, that was pretty darn close.

I like Rupp personally.

I've been to a lot of places as an official. SOme of the venues I'd name, you guys probably would be like, "huh"? Places like Hinkle Fieldhouse(Butler). Love that place man. Very unique. But it all depends on what you like. There are some HS gyms here in Indiana that I absolutely love working in. Just have that old time feel to them.

I haven't been to many outside of Kentucky now that I think of it. My wish list in no particular order would include:
Gallagher-Iba
Phog
The Palestra
Cameron
Hinkle
Bud Walton
Assembly Hall (Indiana, not Illinois)
Maybe the Kohl Center

I also considered Pauley Pavilion for a tenth of a second, then realized I would probably be the only person there.
I've worked at Hinkle. Absolutely love that place. Especially if you happen to work a game during the afternoon. Just very unique.

Assembly is a terrific venue. But if heights concern you.l then ya might wanna avoid the balcony.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
MSG for anything! Seen Bruce Springsteen, and Linkin Park
Watched many UK games there over the years.
Yum is very nice, but a rental like many, Rupp included. I have a brother in law who is currently working on the financial disaster that it has become, so many things done wrong on so many levels.

I've worked at Hinkle. Absolutely love that place. Especially if you happen to work a game during the afternoon. Just very unique.

Assembly is a terrific venue. But if heights concern you.l then ya might wanna avoid the balcony.
Nah, I've sat at the top of Rupp before and those stairs are pretty much vertical. Laughing

Nah, I've sat at the top of Rupp before and those stairs are pretty much vertical. Laughing
images

Its just how high. But the angle, really. I mean it can be spooky.

Pic when it was being built:

images

Assembly-Hall-construct2.jpg

You’ve been to Cameron?
yes, Cameron seats about 8000. Indiana has 72 high schools gyms that seat 4,000 or more fans. Forty of these seat 4,500 or more, and many have a capacity larger than the town they are located in. Indiana has 14 of the 15 largest high school gyms in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: SloppyHopkins
yes, Cameron seats about 8000. Indiana has 72 high schools gyms that seat 4,000 or more fans. Forty of these seat 4,500 or more, and many have a capacity larger than the town they are located in. Indiana has 14 of the 15 largest high school gyms in the country.
So that makes them better? Cameron is more than 8000 but we will go with your number anyway.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
So that makes them better? Cameron is more than 8000 but we will go with your number anyway.
CIS seats 9,314.

Indiana has two Gyms that seat more: New Castle Filedhouse(9,500; though can hold 10,000). The other is no longer used----The Wigwam in Anderson, Indiana. Held close to 10K.

HS basketball in Indiana is just crazy. There are 15 "gym's" that hold at least 7,000.

But NO, it doesn't make them better. And it's silly to think otherwise. Though some of the gyms in Indiana are really nice.

Capacity is one thing but, I think Den is referring to atmosphere, which is something unique to every great venue.

Reactions: denniden
CIS seats 9,314.

Indiana has two Gyms that seat more: New Castle Filedhouse(9,500; though can hold 10,000). The other is no longer used----The Wigwam in Anderson, Indiana. Held close to 10K.

HS basketball in Indiana is just crazy. There are 15 "gym's" that hold at least 7,000.

But NO, it doesn't make them better. And it's silly to think otherwise. Though some of the gyms in Indiana are really nice.
I don’t doubt the gyms are cool and I know HS hoopsnin Indiana is great. I do doubt that they are better than one of the places widely considered one of the best venues to see a game that the sport has to offer on any level.

Capacity is one thing but, I think Den is referring to atmosphere, which is something unique to every great venue.

New Castle, Anderson's Wig Wam back in the day, Tell City's gym built in 1934, Muncie Fieldhouse, Washington's Hatchet House, Frankfort Hot Dogs, Michigan City, Seymour, Southridge (Huntingburg Happy Hunters)-whose gym is larger than the town's population, just to name a few- have incredible character and atmosphere. These high school gyms have every bit of the atmosphere, and the fans actually care about the game, rather than getting on tv. The Duke crap of the kids jumping up and down is just stupid. Watch the damn game-entitled New Yawkers spending daddy's $$!

As far as college atmosphere, I will take IU's Assembly Hall, Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse, and pu's Mackey Arena over Cameron Indoor EVERY time. Heck, Grayson Allen AND Coach K have been quoted as saying AH is awesome. Cameron has a decent atmosphere, if you enjoy kids jumping up and down, whew hoo.

So how do I really feel..lol

This.

My wife said she would never go back if the tickets were in the upper level.

I don’t doubt the gyms are cool and I know HS hoopsnin Indiana is great. I do doubt that they are better than one of the places widely considered one of the best venues to see a game that the sport has to offer on any level.
WHich is what I said....Winking

I've yet to go to CIS. But I have worked the Semi-State at Seymour; capacity 8,300. And it was full to the rafters. Unreal. As loud as an atmosphere I've worked. Here's a pic:

CAo59-EWAAAEdj3.jpg

Barr-Reeve vs Clay City. BR wins 56-54.

2307190-B.jpg

Great atmosphere. But I agree. I doubt it's even close to that of CIS. And like I said....very silly to think otherwise.

New Castle, Anderson's Wig Wam back in the day, Tell City's gym built in 1934, Muncie Fieldhouse, Washington's Hatchet House, Frankfort Hot Dogs, Michigan City, Seymour, Southridge (Huntingburg Happy Hunters)-whose gym is larger than the town's population, just to name a few- have incredible character and atmosphere. These high school gyms have every bit of the atmosphere, and the fans actually care about the game, rather than getting on tv. The Duke crap of the kids jumping up and down is just stupid. Watch the damn game-entitled New Yawkers spending daddy's $$!

As far as college atmosphere, I will take IU's Assembly Hall, Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse, and pu's Mackey Arena over Cameron Indoor EVERY time. Heck, Grayson Allen AND Coach K have been quoted as saying AH is awesome. Cameron has a decent atmosphere, if you enjoy kids jumping up and down, whew hoo.

So how do I really feel..lol
I can go with a college venue like Freedom Hall as being awesome and better than Cameron and not one person disputed that. You made the assertion that high school gyms were better in Indiana than Cameron. Did you not? I get you have an affinity for the Hoosier state and I can respect that, but it’s also good to have an honest conversation and not a homer conversation.

Not exactly sure what K and Grayson saying a place is an awesome atmosphere has anything to do with this conversation as literally not one single person said otherwise in this thread. Of course it is. I am fairly certain a coach and player or two over the years has also called Cameroon, “awesome.” No?

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
WHich is what I said....Winking

I've yet to go to CIS. But I have worked the Semi-State at Seymour; capacity 8,300. And it was full to the rafters. Unreal. As loud as an atmosphere I've worked. Here's a pic:

CAo59-EWAAAEdj3.jpg

Barr-Reeve vs Clay City. BR wins 56-54.

2307190-B.jpg

Great atmosphere. But I agree. I doubt it's even close to that of CIS. And like I said....very silly to think otherwise.
I wish the HS scene was like that over here in Ct. some gyms in NYC and Jersey (about an hours drive from me) area come close at times. Not the level of that though. Pretty cool!

I can go with a college venue like Freedom Hall as being awesome and better than Cameron and not one person disputed that. You made the assertion that high school gyms were better in Indiana than Cameron. Did you not? I get you have an affinity for the Hoosier state and I can respect that, but it’s also good to have an honest conversation and not a homer conversation.

Not exactly sure what K and Grayson saying a place is an awesome atmosphere has anything to do with this conversation as literally not one single person said otherwise in this thread. Of course it is. I am fairly certain a coach and player or two over the years has also called Cameroon, “awesome.” No?
Meh, he's going waaaaay overboard. Hell I worked a Butler/Valpo game, and that atmosphere was insane. Better than any HS game I've worked. Some HS games I've worked; especially the tourney, are insanely intense. But not at the level of CBB. ANd certainly not at the level of a Duke/UNC game. Just stupid to insinuate that.

FTR, I'd love to experience a game at CIS. Place looks awesome on TV. had a buddy of mine who move to Danville(VA), who went to a Duke game. He was like, "dude. that place is so loud and vibrant. Reminded me of some of our games in HS. Fans right on top of you."

He loved it.

Meh, he's going waaaaay overboard. Hell I worked a Butler/Valpo game, and that atmosphere was insane. Better than any HS game I've worked. Some HS games I've worked; especially the tourney, are insanely intense. But not at the level of CBB. ANd certainly not at the level of a Duke/UNC game. Just stupid to insinuate that.

FTR, I'd love to experience a game at CIS. Place looks awesome on TV. had a buddy of mine who move to Danville(VA), who went to a Duke game. He was like, "dude. that place is so loud and vibrant. Reminded me of some of our games in HS. Fans right on top of you."

He loved it.
When you are ready to make the trip, I’ll meet you there. You will not be disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT