ADVERTISEMENT

Best arenas you have visited

Broncos16

Nov 3, 2015
3. Mackey Arena- Great atmosphere, building with character. Great place, besides the constant booing from the crowd (gets a little old)

2. Hilton Coliseum- Went in 2012, great old time building with great energy. Loved it

1. Allen Fieldhouse- Went for the first time two years ago, unreal experience. Best all around venue in all of sports I have been too.

Overrated:

Rupp Arena- Went for the Kansas vs Kentucky game, extremely disappointing. No character for such a tradition rich school. Had a mall attached to it which was very strange.

Breslin Center: Feels like an NBA type arena, doesn't get loud at all. Very timid place for such a passionate fan base.

Bucket List: The Barn, Cameron Indoor, Assembly Hall

Last edited:
Reactions: KUhawks34
Market Square Arena was one of the best for both basketball and concerts, had excellent acoustics. Been demolished for a while now.

Rupp for average games - boring/not loud
Rupp for big games - one of the best/toughest environments in the country, if not the best.

I've only ever been to Rupp, Freedom Hall, and the Yum! Center. All three are fantastic in different ways.

Reactions: denniden
Rupp for big games - one of the best/toughest environments in the country, if not the best.

I've only ever been to Rupp, Freedom Hall, and the Yum! Center. All three are fantastic in different ways.

Only been for the 1 Kansas vs Kentucky game. Would definitely like to go back for a game

All three of those places are still in my wish list.

I put Cameron at the top. I am also a Duke fan and acknowledge that it doesn’t he any better for me.

A place that was always great before the last couple years, (stillnis pretty good) Gample In Storrs, Ct. I’ve seen so many high level UConn games there and it was always a great environment.

Only been for the 1 Kansas vs Kentucky game. Would definitely like to go back for a game
Just make sure its a big game or you'll be very underwhelmed lol

All three of those places are still in my wish list.

I put Cameron at the top. I am also a Duke fan and acknowledge that it doesn’t he any better for me.

A place that was always great before the last couple years, (stillnis pretty good) Gample In Storrs, Ct. I’ve seen so many high level UConn games there and it was always a great environment.
Cameron is on my list as well. I'm thinking once I have more spending funds as I get older, I'll make a trip to N. Carolina and catch a handful of games. Including ones at Duke, Carolina, and of course the Panthers at Bank of America Stadium :)

Just make sure its a big game or you'll be very underwhelmed lol

Cameron is on my list as well. I'm thinking once I have more spending funds as I get older, I'll make a trip to N. Carolina and catch a handful of games. Including ones at Duke, Carolina, and of course the Panthers at Bank of America Stadium :)
Can’t speak for a Panthers game, but Cameron and Chapel Hill won’t disappoint. Both great in their own way.

Reactions: UNC71-00 and shun1
I was actually hoping UK would get a new arena instead of just renovating Rupp. The new scoreboard is nice though. Thank God Big Bertha is gone, she was fugly. Basically all they did was put up a new center scoreboard, add a few digital banner boards, add wifi, and paint the heating and air ducts blue. o_O

Rupp is great for a big game.

Went to the Dean Dome for the U.K. UNC game 2010 and that was a great atmosphere for a big game. I got told to go back to my trailer park twice

Anyone that wants to see the real Kentucky fans cheer on their wildcats needs to go to the sec tournament

Reactions: shun1
I have a strong biased for Assembly Hall, Hinkle Fieldhouse and Mackey Arena. All three of those are fantastic venues for college basketball.

The atmosphere in the RCA Dome for IU/UK games was something that definitely left a lasting impression on me as a fan of college basketball.

Been to Rupp and Yum for concerts but never games. One regret I have is not going to a lot of the fantastic college basketball venues within driving distance of Indianapolis. If or when I ever get back to Indianapolis I will make it a point to go to a couple different games a year.

1A Cameron
1A Allen Fieldhouse

Seen a dozen games at each venue. Both are insane.

Gallagher Iba was pretty damn intense. Have seen several games there.

Bramlage in Manhatten is pretty fun too. That place can get LOUD. And when ku is in town that place gets crazy.

Koch Arena - place is pretty fun for big games. Also pretty boring for those past terrible MVC games. Should be more fun now that they are in the AAC.

Dean Smith Center is a snooze fest. Seen several ACC conference games and it’s pretty lackluster. I’ve been told when Duke is in Chapel Hill the fans actually make noise.

Bucket List - Assembly Hall
Hilton (when they play ku)

Reactions: shun1 and KisteK

Went to the Dean Dome for the U.K. UNC game 2010 and that was a great atmosphere for a big game. I got told to go back to my trailer park twice

Anyone that wants to see the real Kentucky fans cheer on their wildcats needs to go to the sec tournament
Well.....did you? :D Those comments among neighboring residents in southern Appalachian states always make me laugh. Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, North Carolina... they are all among the poorest states in the nation, yet we make fun of each other for it. Laughing Hey why you got a toothbrush if ya ain't got no teef?! Hey is your wife your sister?! I call first dibs on that goat!!! HARRRRRRRRRRRR

Reactions: shun1 and klize17
I spent two of my five days (2014) in Vegas attempting to hit up the Thomas & Mack..

Both days I ended up lost (hoursss) in the Flamingo (along with my littlest bro)..
We never even made it to the bus stop.

Helluvan Effort, iyam.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler

Ain't that the truth?! Atlanta was cool and all, but I am glad the majority of the future tourneys are in Nashville. I love that city, especially when it's a sea of blue. St. Louis this year, then Nashville for 3 years, Tampa for a year, and Nashville for 3 more.

Good list so far. To put one out there that hasn't been mentioned, the JPJ (aka the John) in Charlottesville is a very nice, new arena with a small feel like you're never too far from the court, that can get really loud for big games.

Ain't that the truth?! Atlanta was cool and all, but I am glad the majority of the future tourneys are in Nashville. I love that city, especially when it's a sea of blue. St. Louis this year, then Nashville for 3 years, Tampa for a year, and Nashville for 3 more.
Gonna be my first trip to St. Louis this year for the sec t

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Cameron Indoor against UNC was the best atmosphere I’ve been to hands down.

Yum! Center for Duke game was average from an atmosphere standpoint but overall a really nice arena to visit.

Humble Fieldhouse was amazing for atmosphere but really hot without A/C and awkward to get around.

Underrated: Cintas Center. Gets really loud and not a bad seat in the house.

Yum! Center for Duke game was average from an atmosphere standpoint but overall a really nice arena to visit.

Humble Fieldhouse was amazing for atmosphere but really hot without A/C and awkward to get around.

Guessing you mean Hinkle Fieldhouse, where Butler plays and also HOOSIERS!!! Ollie, Ollie, Ollie! Fun fact: Best friend's uncle (former chairman and CEO of Cintas) is the reason it's named Cintas Center, obviously thanks to a very, very hefty donation. They also named the court after his family. It is a great arena. Waaaay better than the old Cincinnati Gardens. That place was a sharthole.

Kansas fan thinks Rupp is bad and Allen is great. Shocking post.

I'm pretty certain that any honest Kentucky fan would admit that Allen Fieldhouse is a much better experience and atmosphere.

Rupp is disproportionately full of blue hairs and the students aren't well positioned.

Loved Allen, was there for the UK game a couple years ago. Fans were fantastic, before, during and after. Dean dome was good outside of a couple nearby fans that complained about me cheering for my team. Zona was a lot of fun for the Florida game about 8-10 years ago, both top 5-10 at the time.

Those who bash Rupp haven’t been there for an exciting game. Still say it’s the best atmosphere for a huge, exciting game. Been to final fours, champions classics, Maui, nothing better than Rupp when it’s rocking. It jut doesn’t rock as much as it should

Madison Square Garden
Oracle Arena
Yum Center
Haas Pavilion (cool for big games)
Conseco Fieldhouse (Bankers life Fieldhouse now)

Was at MSG for the UL game last Saturday. Uncle was is an associate AD at UL and he is retiring next month. Been at UL for 42 years. The only reason I have never been a UL hater. We’ll see what happens next month

I'm pretty certain that any honest Kentucky fan would admit that Allen Fieldhouse is a much better experience and atmosphere.

Rupp is disproportionately full of blue hairs and the students aren't well positioned.

I’ve been to both when they are rocking, Rupp is better. I don’t see it as homer, I have seen 24k screaming. I can see why some claim Allen though. It was a great atmosphere.

Ive been to the yum center when Duke came there in 2016,and then last year. I didn’t get to make it in 2015 though, but at least I got to see them cut down the nets that year in Indy so that was Super Awesome! The yum center is VERY VERY nice! I did feel like it was pretty loud in there when I saw Duke there the two times I went to go see them play.

3. Mackey Arena- Great atmosphere, building with character. Great place, besides the constant booing from the crowd (gets a little old)

2. Hilton Coliseum- Went in 2012, great old time building with great energy. Loved it

1. Allen Fieldhouse- Went for the first time two years ago, unreal experience. Best all around venue in all of sports I have been too.

Overrated:

Rupp Arena- Went for the Kansas vs Kentucky game, extremely disappointing. No character for such a tradition rich school. Had a mall attached to it which was very strange.

Breslin Center: Feels like an NBA type arena, doesn't get loud at all. Very timid place for such a passionate fan base.

Bucket List: The Barn, Cameron Indoor, Assembly Hall

1. Allen Field House
2. Any other Big 12 arena when they play KU
3. And drum roll please-Municipal Auditorium , Kansas City in the old days of the NAIA tournament. Could you imagine seeing "march madness" being played in just several days. Hot dogs for breakfast lunch and dinner. Basketball from 8am to midnight.

Ive been to the yum center when Duke came there in 2016,and then last year. I didn’t get to make it in 2015 though, but at least I got to see them cut down the nets that year in Indy so that was Super Awesome! The yum center is VERY VERY nice! I did feel like it was pretty loud in there when I saw Duke there the two times I went to go see them play.
What is this yum center you speak of? You must mean the chicken bucket. :D

I haven't been to many outside of Kentucky now that I think of it. My wish list in no particular order would include:
Gallagher-Iba
Phog
The Palestra
Cameron
Hinkle
Bud Walton
Assembly Hall (Indiana, not Illinois)
Maybe the Kohl Center

I also considered Pauley Pavilion for a tenth of a second, then realized I would probably be the only person there.

Have you been to both? One of my best friends is a UK fan and he hates Rupp. I wasn't bashing UK, just posting my opinion.

All UK fans hate something.

At the least Rupp is nice on a cold day you can have a good meal and a good nights sleep under the same roof. Kansas and Duke gives you a high school gym in buildings that are already on the "historical buildings" lists. Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT