ADVERTISEMENT

25 man Midseason Wooden Watch list is out

boilerzz

Jul 5, 2002
Team
Purdue
4 teams with multiple players. Purdue with 3, Gonzaga, UCLA and Duke all with 2.

NameSchoolConferenceHeightClassPosition
Max AbmasOral RobertsSummit League6-0Jr.G
Ochai AgbajiKansasBig 126-5Sr.G
James AkinjoBaylorBig 126-1Sr.G
Paolo BancheroDukeACC6-10Fr.F
Izaiah BrockingtonIowa StateBig 126-4Sr.G
Kofi Cockburn*IllinoisBig Ten7-0Jr.C
Johnny DavisWisconsinBig Ten6-5SophG
Hunter Dickinson*MichiganBig Ten7-1SophC
Zach EdeyPurdueBig Ten7-4SophC
Collin GillespieVillanovaBig East6-3Sr.G
Chet HolmgrenGonzagaWCC7-0Fr.C
Jaden IveyPurdueBig Ten6-4SophG
Trayce Jackson-DavisIndianaBig Ten6-9Jr.F
Jaime Jaquez Jr.UCLAPac-126-7Jr.G/F
Johnny JuzangUCLAPac-126-7Jr.G
E.J. LiddellOhio StateBig Ten6-7Jr.F
Bennedict MathurinArizonaPac-126-6SophG
Isaiah MobleyUSCPac-126-10Jr.F
Wendell Moore Jr.DukeACC6-5Jr.F
Keegan MurrayIowaBig Ten6-8SophF
David RoddyColorado StateMountain West6-6Jr.F
Jabari SmithAuburnSEC6-10Fr.F
Drew Timme*GonzagaWCC6-10Jr.F
Oscar TshiebweKentuckySEC6-9Jr.F
Trevion WilliamsPurdueBig Ten6-10Sr.F

*Notables excised from the list included projected future NBA lottery picks Emoni Bates and Jalen Duren of Memphis.

Woof... what a kick in the nuts to Penny. He'll keep convincing kids to come play for him though. 😆

I quizzed my wife. I said the name and she had to name the school. She got 13/30 correct. Not bad.

Edit: I still beat her, but not as vociferously as if she bombed it.

Max Abmas doesn't need to be on there. He was phenomenal last year. But, his scoring has gone down, as well as his effective field goal percentage. And Oral Roberts is only 9-6.

There are probably more, but I'd say at least Taz Sherman, Christian Braun, Tari Eason, Kendric Davis, Jaden Shackelford, Colin Castleton, Julian Champagnie, Alondes Williams, and Christian Koloko are more deserving.

• Sad
Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Max won me some coin last night, lay off 😂

He had a great game. Arguably his best game of the season. Don't get me wrong, he's a really, really good player. But, playing for a 10-6 Oral Roberts team, he'll need consistently great numbers to be considered among the top 25 players in the nation.

I will say he cant have many good teamates, they were only favored by 4 last noght at St Thomas(wtf is st thomas lol sounds like a hospital)

Dam thats insane minn only had 1 d1 team. Even kentucky has close to 10 i think, probly a few less.

thats insane minn only had 1 d1 team. Even kentucky has close to 10 i think, probly a few less.

Makes Minnesota’s lack of a basketball history even more surprising and pathetic, lol.

Minnesota is soooo bad at keeping talent in the state. So bad.

Look at some of the Minnesota guys that have played college basketball just the past two seasons... all of these guys have played in the NBA.

Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
Jericho Sims, Texas
McKinley Wright, Colorado
Freddie Gillespie, Baylor
Tre Jones, Duke
Tyrell Terry, Stanford
Zeke Nnaji, Arizona
Ade Murkey, Denver (this one can be forgiven; no one knew who he was)

That doesn't include very productive college guys that haven't logged minutes in the league, like Matthew Hurt (Duke) and Nate Reuvers (Wisconsin). Heck, Wisconsin's current team includes three native Minnesotans - Brad Davison, Tyler Wahl, and Steven Crowl.

The Wooden Midseason Top 25 players includes two natives of Minnesota, Chet Holmgren (Gonzaga) and David Roddy (Colorado State). Dawson Garcia (UNC) and Race Thompson (Indiana) are two other notable Minnesota guys.

They do snag a few of the quality ones, like Daniel Oturu and Amir Coffey. Recently got Jamison Battle to transfer home. But, Richard Pitino struggled mightily to keep these kids in state. If Ben Johnson can just retain 1/3 of the top local talent, Minnesota should be near a top 25 team every year.

Also, my dude Rocky Kreuser, best white dunker in America, is from Minnesota.

Look at some of the Minnesota guys that have played college basketball just the past two seasons... all of these guys have played in the NBA.

Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
Jericho Sims, Texas
Tre Jones, Duke
Tyrell Terry, Stanford
Zeke Nnaji, Arizona

That doesn't include very productive college guys that haven't logged minutes in the league, like Matthew Hurt (Duke) and Nate Reuvers (Wisconsin). Heck, Wisconsin's current team includes three native Minnesotans - Brad Davison, Tyler Wahl, and Steven Crowl.

The Wooden Midseason Top 25 players includes two natives of Minnesota, Chet Holmgren (Gonzaga) and David Roddy (Colorado State). Dawson Garcia (UNC) and Race Thompson (Indiana) are two other notable Minnesota guys.

They do snag a few of the quality ones, like Daniel Oturu and Amir Coffey. Recently got Jamison Battle to transfer home. But, Richard Pitino struggled mightily to keep these kids in state. If Ben Johnson can just retain 1/3 of the top local talent, Minnesota should be near a top 25 team every year.
Reid Travis is UK's only player ever from Minnesota.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Reid Travis is UK's only player ever from Minnesota.

Yep. That's another really good collegiate player from Minnesota.

We've taken quite a few from Minnesota. Matthew Hurt, Tre Jones, Tyus Jones, Gary Trent Jr, Nick Horvath.

Sometimes we have lost out to the Gophers. We signed Kris Humphries to a LOI back in 2003 before he asked for a release, and later signed with Minnesota. We recruited Rick Rickert pretty hard, and he decided to stay home.

But, come on. There's close to 6 million people in Minnesota; they're the 22nd most populous state. We're not talking about North Dakota or South Dakota. Minnesota has had free reigns to snag dozens and dozens of top 100 kids. They haven't had to compete with another school in the state; biggest competition is usually Wisconsin. Their inability to retain the local kids has been astonishing.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yep. That's another really good collegiate player from Minnesota.

We've taken quite a few from Minnesota. Matthew Hurt, Tre Jones, Tyus Jones, Gary Trent Jr, Nick Horvath.

Sometimes we have lost out to the Gophers. We signed Kris Humphries to a LOI back in 2003 before he asked for a release, and later signed with Minnesota. We recruited Rick Rickert pretty hard, and he decided to stay home.

But, come on. There's close to 6 million people in Minnesota; they're the 22nd most populous state. We're not talking about North Dakota or South Dakota. Minnesota has had free reigns to snag dozens and dozens of top 100 kids. They haven't had to compete with another school in the state; biggest competition is usually Wisconsin. Their inability to retain the local kids has been astonishing.
We consider Minnesota to be in-state recruiting. Probably had more success there than our own state.

• Haha

Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
Jericho Sims, Texas
Tre Jones, Duke
Tyrell Terry, Stanford
Zeke Nnaji, Arizona

Reminds me of Indiana. Who is even more pathetic than Minnesota RollLaugh

• Haha
Reactions: jwardelt
Reminds me of Indiana. Who is even more pathetic than Minnesota RollLaugh

I think Minnesota's recruiting woes are worse, personally.

The state of Indiana certainly has more overall talent. And they've whiffed on more players. But, they also share the state with Purdue, Notre Dame, and Butler. Minnesota is the 22nd most populous state, and they don't have any in-state rival to compete with. To the west of Minnesota, there is North and South Dakota. No Power schools. The only power schools that even border the state of Minnesota are Wisconsin, Iowa, and Iowa State. Indiana, on the other hand, has to deal with power schools that border the state like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville, and Illinois.

I understand they're not going to keep all of these guys. And 5-star recruits like Chet Holmgren, Jalen Suggs, and Tre Jones are going to be especially hard to sign. But, there are plenty of top 100, top 250 kids coming out of that state. Wisconsin does more than okay plucking several from Minnesota.

I think Minnesota's recruiting woes are worse, personally.

The state of Indiana certainly has more overall talent. And they've whiffed on more players. But, they also share the state with Purdue, Notre Dame, and Butler. Minnesota is the 22nd most populous state, and they don't have any in-state rival to compete with. To the west of Minnesota, there is North and South Dakota. No Power schools. The only power schools that even border the state of Minnesota are Wisconsin, Iowa, and Iowa State. Indiana, on the other hand, has to deal with power schools that border the state like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville, and Illinois.

I understand they're not going to keep all of these guys. And 5-star recruits like Chet Holmgren, Jalen Suggs, and Tre Jones are going to be especially hard to sign. But, there are plenty of top 100, top 250 kids coming out of that state. Wisconsin does more than okay plucking several from Minnesota.

You're right I was just making fun of Indiana. It never gets old.

Minnesota in their 2022 class have committed the 7th and 10th ranked player in their state. Most of the top 6 they recruited in some form and didn’t land.

I maybe know of 9 people on this list. I’m out of the loop with cbb.

To be fair who the fk wants to live in cold ass minnesota period. Id be looking to head south for college.

Is pretty insane the talent thats come thru such a smallish state pop wise tho.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan

Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
Jericho Sims, Texas
Tre Jones, Duke
Tyrell Terry, Stanford
Zeke Nnaji, Arizona

You forgot Kendall Brown, who played HS basketball here until his Senior year when he went to Sunrise Christan Academy. He'll be a first rounder in the upcoming draft.

There was plenty of debate over David Roddy on our boards. I was in favor of the Gophers offering him. He produced pretty well in the Nike EYBL and was a good all-around athlete albeit undersized. I don't think anyone saw him transforming into the player he is now, but I thought he would, at the very least, be a nice backup player in the B1G.

Ben Johnson is definitely changing that however. 3/4 of our recruits are instate. Braeden Carrington is being slept on in the rankings. He is the best player on the best team in the state and ranked outside the top 200? Not a chance if anyone has actually seen him play. As of now he is the favorite for MN Mr. Basketball over Holloman.

Minnesota in their 2022 class have committed the 7th and 10th ranked player in their state. Most of the top 6 they recruited in some form and didn’t land.
The rankings are not great because Covid. You believe that Prince Aligbe is the #2 player in the state and 4 star recruit yet he chose to go to Boston College? Not a chance. Most of his other high major offers weren't committable. He's a hell of an athlete, but he's a wing that can't shoot. Remember Rodney Williams? That's the type of player he is.

Reactions: MGC_07
Moore is out from Duke now. After this week, he will never recover. He played awful.

And Banchero has to do more and play better. I believe K is misusing him. He needs to play closer to the hoop and utilize his skills and then pop out for a 3 here and there to keep the big men honest.

You forgot Kendall Brown, who played HS basketball here until his Senior year when he went to Sunrise Christan Academy. He'll be a first rounder in the upcoming draft.

There was plenty of debate over David Roddy on our boards. I was in favor of the Gophers offering him. He produced pretty well in the Nike EYBL and was a good all-around athlete albeit undersized. I don't think anyone saw him transforming into the player he is now, but I thought he would, at the very least, be a nice backup player in the B1G.

Ben Johnson is definitely changing that however. 3/4 of our recruits are instate. Braeden Carrington is being slept on in the rankings. He is the best player on the best team in the state and ranked outside the top 200? Not a chance if anyone has actually seen him play. As of now he is the favorite for MN Mr. Basketball over Holloman.

Wow, didn't even realize Kendall Brown was a Minnesota native. Let that one slip by me. He's a fun player to watch, so incredibly athletic. One of the best finishers at the rim in college basketball.

Seems like Pitino would have been more keen on Roddy. I mean, Jordan Murphy is basically the same size and he turned out more than okay. Roddy is putting up similar numbers. Not as good of a rebounder, but perhaps a better shooter and scorer. I knew who Roddy was right away because his second game of his career was against Duke. He had a steal and thunderous dunk late in the game. I was taken back a little by that play; he was built more like a football player, and yet he threw it down like someone who's been in a dunk contest or two.

I guess the thing that gets me, when I look at the population numbers, is Minnesota has more people than the likes of Alabama, Kentucky, Oregon, Oklahoma, Iowa, among others, states that all have two P6 schools. And Minnesota wasn't even competing with another D1 school, let alone a P6 school. So yeah, if Johnson can retain a healthy amount of those top recruits, I think Minnesota should be just fine.

Reactions: Deathclutch
ADVERTISEMENT