ADVERTISEMENT

150 Most Impactful Players in 2020-21

We can agree to disagree...I think Frank was more of a complete player.

Kaminsky---18ppg, 8.2rpg, 2.6apg(103 assist). Shot 41% from 3. 78% FT line.
Garza-------23ppg, 9.8rpg, 1.1apg(36 assist).....Shot 35% from 3...65% FT

Off the dribble I like Frank.
Back to the basket,give me Graza.
Perimeter----Frank
Passing---Frank
SHooting---Frank
Defense---Meh----push, I think. Felt Kaminsky could defend out of the post as well.
Mobility/speed----Ummm, Kaminsky. Garza's shadow was faster than Garza himself...

Once again you are comparing his senior year against his Junior year

As of right now you can only compare Kaminsky's junior year vs Garza's

I expect Garza to improve going into this season.
But his Junior year he was better

Nice list! I will not be surprised if Joel Ntambwe ends up our best player this year. He may very well be a guy most don't see coming. He sat out last year after transferring from UNLV. His brother is Jonathan Kuminga, and it was thought he may go play overseas with him but he decided to return. Which was huge for us. I think he will be a big impact this year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Once again you are comparing his senior year against his Junior year

As of right now you can only compare Kaminsky's junior year vs Garza's

I expect Garza to improve going into this season.
But his Junior year he was better
What were you comparing it against? Are you saying Garza as a junior, was better than Kaminsky, as a junior? If so---Ok, great. I guess. But SAY that, if that is what you mean. Don't say I think Garza is better than Kaminsky...That insinuates overall.

Kaminsky also played with another 1st rd pick that defenses had to deal with.
True....But that also impacted his numbers as well. It ain't Kaminsky's fault he played on a better team. Put Frank on last years Iowa team, and he probably puts up the same numbers that Garza did.

What were you comparing it against? Are you saying Garza as a junior, was better than Kaminsky, as a junior? If so---Ok, great. I guess. But SAY that, if that is what you mean. Don't say I think Garza is better than Kaminsky...That insinuates overall.

When you look at players you compare players at ages. Even in college...

So any comparsion between the two will be at their juniors years.

You could say you believe that Kaminsky had higher upside...
Some in the NBA felt he had some but really didn't.
Maybe someone will reach on Garza and waste a lottery pick on him. Charlotte is known to be a poorly ran organization.

Took me about two games to see Garza.

The intensity takes over games at the college level.
Could be a great energy guy in the NBA if he can work on his feet and his shot.

Any coach in the world wants a guy who can come in and bring that...Even in the NBA.

I made the comparsion to Bill Laimbeer.
I know basketball has changed...
But in some ways it hasn't. If is a game of energy

It’s just hard for me to have Scottie Barnes in the top 25. Now, if you’re saying top 25 of “impact” maybe. And certainly top 25 draft pick in the 2021 NBA draft.

But if you’re saying a “top 25 performer in our fantasy league per your scoring” @dukedevilz, then I just can’t see it. He won’t play enough minutes to rack up major stats and FSU guys just aren’t given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to ACC 1st team lists.

I suppose he could get an all-Region team recognition.

Yes, I'm going more for impactful. This should not be reflective of our the scoring system in the draft. It's somewhat of a template to consider, but even I don't use this as my actual list. I drafted two players last year that weren't on my top 150 list.

Nice list! I will not be surprised if Joel Ntambwe ends up our best player this year. He may very well be a guy most don't see coming. He sat out last year after transferring from UNLV. His brother is Jonathan Kuminga, and it was thought he may go play overseas with him but he decided to return. Which was huge for us. I think he will be a big impact this year.

I'm aware of Ntambwe. Tech has a lot of nice pieces. Not really sure who will emerge as the #1 option. Shannon, Burnett, Ntambwe, Edwards, Santos-Silva, Burton, Peavy, and possibly McClung. Should be a top 15 team to start the season.

After two days of practice from what I am hearing is that if may be Courtney Ramey this year
Nothing against Matt Coleman or Andrew Jones.

But Ramey is finally playing aggressive on the offensive end to match the Defense.

This could be because Matt Coleman has continued to develop his shot.
As a spot up shooter especially in both corners he is dangerous
Need him to improved by another 5-7% again.

With the amount of great guards in the conference and only one ball on the court I am pretty sure only one receive the accolades

Frank probably faces more double/triple teams playing on last year's Iowa team, and sees less efficiency, assists, etc. Probably picks up more fouls, just everything out there is more difficult when you're playing with lesser teammates. He also experiences more losses, more adversity, and more pressure.

It's not that he's taking nights off playing with Sam @ Wisky, but it's a lot easier to pick spots, get rest, and play winning basketball when you have a teammate that's a high end player at this level that runs the baseline, stretches the floor, can get his own shot, and does a lot of other things that just make life much easier for Frank and everybody else out there.... and playing on a team that's top 5 in the country whatever Wisky was.

One more thing. Frank also had a lot better coaching. No offense to the Iowa guys here.

Frank was a great college player though. So is Garza.

Last edited:
They had a forward his Sophomore year I really liked.
Though he has potential as a starter in Europe or someone that can make a few million in the NBA

Cook?
Have to Google it

Garza makes those guards better as well.
You really have to watch Iowa. Garza starts playing football out there that team starts feeding off that energy and d
those guards start spreading the floor, moving the ball and hitting the shots.

Very few teams can score 20 points as fast as Iowa can

A lot of that has to with Garza

But don't underestimate those guards and their high basketball IQ.

For WVU, I would have Miles Mcbride just barely in the top 150 and Culver lower. All reports are saying Mcbride has improved so much and looks like our best player. Now i don't suggest he is better or more important than Oscar but he did show a lot of potential last season (many games looking like our best player) and apparently had offseason improvements similar to Javon Carter when he was here.

Some you guys need to join the college basketball draft. See if you can draft a team, and forecast who the best players will be. Let me know if any of you all are interested in joining. Here's the thread.

Reactions: CO_hawk
They had a forward his Sophomore year I really liked.
Though he has potential as a starter in Europe or someone that can make a few million in the NBA

Cook?
Have to Google it

Garza makes those guards better as well.
You really have to watch Iowa. Garza starts playing football out there that team starts feeding off that energy and d
those guards start spreading the floor, moving the ball and hitting the shots.

Very few teams can score 20 points as fast as Iowa can

A lot of that has to with Garza

But don't underestimate those guards and their high basketball IQ.
Tyler spent some time in the G league. Now is bench player for the Nuggets.

Last edited:
I have met Terrell Ramey a few times since his son plays at Texas. Always promoting StL players.

Cook is another StL basketball player who is making it in the NBA.

Going to promote his son...because I think his son is due to have a big season this year.
Will be just another high level StL guard who makes his mark in the Big 12.

Yea man losing out on Ramey hurt when the stripper scandal set in smh. I really like his game.

For Missouri it was a huge loss because Cuonzo Martin was brought in for players like him. Martin has a relationship with his Dad Terrell.
But Courtney wasn't interested at all.
In regards to Pitino and Louisville. Would really have fit that system.

He is flying under the radar going into the season. Everyone is speaking about Matt Coleman and even Andrew Jones.
But Ramey actually is the one when he is on Texas is very difficult team to play against because it frees up Coleman and Jones to move off the ball.

We recruited Jones super hard too, I can remember wanting him in red and black during his recruitment. He’s just had a rough go obv with getting cancer, but a warrior for sure.

We recruited Jones super hard too, I can remember wanting him in red and black during his recruitment. He’s just had a rough go obv with getting cancer, but a warrior for sure.

We will see with him. Wasn't all the way there last year. I think he even admitted it.
The explosiveness wasn't there. Saw some signs at the end of the year that he could carry a team.
But he needs the ability to get into the lane and create.

The issue for Texas...
They are a jump shooting team without elite shooters.

Players like Jones and Ramey can change that in the backcourt.

But even if it doesn't happen for Andrew Jones you have to admire his dedication.
He comes from a good family. His sister plays in the WNBA right now. Just mentally tough.

They were in the car when their dad had an accident and ended up paralyzed from the waist down.
So the leukemia wasn't the first unfortunate thing that happened to that family

All this TX talk is cool. I am too tired to google these things - are they supposed to be good next year? What's their recent NCAA Tournament resume look like?

We will find out...

I think as of right now they can run out a second unit as good as some team's first.

But in terms of them being great to elite. That all depends on limiting the turnovers and getting to the rim.

Can't survive as an average shooting team out on the perimeter

They are between 15-25 this year as of right now.
Most believe that team knows how to win now. At least that was the belief at the end of year.

Point is any of their guards could be Top 50 guys.
That goes with a deep frontline that has some high end talent like Greg Brown and Kai Jones

All this TX talk is cool. I am too tired to google these things - are they supposed to be good next year? What's their recent NCAA Tournament resume look like?

They won 2 NCAA Tournament games in the previous decade. Not good, especially given all the talent that has come to Austin.

This year you would think be a little different. They have everyone back this year + a top-10 recruit in Greg Brown. On paper, they look really, really solid. But, for whatever reason, Texas has always had talented rosters... with limited results. I'll say they lose in the Round of 32 or Sweet 16 this season.

Defensive efficiency could improve. Never has been an issue with Shaka. Usually around Top 25.

But to be elite they need to be closer to Top 10

Baylor and Kansas were better defensive teams than Texas.
A lot had to do with their guard play.

Butler and Garrett are better guards than what Texas has going into the season.
If one of the guards can get to that level things could change.
IMO I think Ramey and Andrew Jones are the ones with a chance this year

Texas and WVU are similar in this regard...

Neither team is particularly efficient on the offensive end

Behind both Baylor and Kansas on defense and not close on the offensive end...

This is where Greg Brown and Kai Jones come in.
They have to attack the rim...

Jericho Sims has to be more confident in the paint and use his athleticism.
Guy is a jumper. May not be as physical as the great post players in the Big 12 from what I have seen and heard but he is maybe more athletic

Sims is another player who isn't mentioned who could find someway to be on the list at the end of the year

If Texas improves on defense and some on offense they can move into that UVa category

Top 5 on defense Top 50 on offense

But UVa trying to improve to where Kansas was last year
Top 5 on defense Top 20 on offense

I don't know if Texas can reach that point.
That is Final 4/NC caliber team

Last edited:
Here is a decent article from the Texas Rivals site about Andrew Jones trying to regain his explosiveness.

Even without it he had a good season. But he wasn't the same player. Those 13-14 games before leukemia in 2017-2018 Jones looked very good.

I don't see Aaron Henry (MSU) living up to the 23 ranking. It's possible but he isn't aggressive enough imo. I think Rocket Watts ends up a better player than Henry this year. Josh Langford should be on this list if he is healthy. I wouldn't put him on it until we see him play again though.
Jeremy Langford is not even on the list. 5th year senior and former McD AA. Coming off 2 years of injuries. Izzo says he's just about 100%. He'll be 24 yrs. old in January. A man among boys. Just wait.

ADVERTISEMENT