ADVERTISEMENT

13 consecutive OT wins—thoughts?

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
So FSU extended its own NCAA record with its 13th consecutive OT win the other night against Duke. Thoughts on this? Fluke? Something to do with the depth Hamilton insists on building? Does his ultra calm demeanor just make him a better late game coach than most?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
So FSU extended its own NCAA record with its 13th consecutive OT win the other night against Duke. Thoughts on this? Fluke? Something to do with the depth Hamilton insists on building? Does his ultra calm demeanor just make him a better late game coach than most?
Yes to all of the later. That gotta be all on coach. That many means players are different. Coach is the common denominator.

Yes to all of the later. That gotta be all on coach. That many means players are different. Coach is the common denominator.

It is since 2017 I believe. So there’s def been a lot of different players, although it’s not like we are talking 15 years.

I would tend to think it’s largely a product of the coach too. But what’s funny is you’ll still hear and see some folks say Hamilton is a good recruiter but can’t coach. Of course those people could just be idiots.

It is since 2017 I believe. So there’s def been a lot of different players, although it’s not like we are talking 15 years.

I would tend to think it’s largely a product of the coach too. But what’s funny is you’ll still hear and see some folks say Hamilton is a good recruiter but can’t coach. Of course those people could just be idiots.
It doesn't take any effort to be negative. Meaning all fanbases have armchair coaches. Results like this proves a lo about coaching. That's an absurd stat.

Reactions: GE Nole
FWIW, 7 of the 13 were against teams that finished that season (or in Duke’s case, is currently) in the KenPom top 25.

Yea thats just crazy……but at the same time is fsu/hamilton crazy good in one possession regulation games as well? If not there is definitely a flukish element to it imo, no offense intended to fsu or ham.

Most impressive is that so many were good teams. Its one thing to do it to a highly ranked duke like the other night as opposed to letting a scrub you should have beaten in regulation get you to OT then beat them.

Super Impressive regardless.

Yea thats just crazy……but at the same time is fsu/hamilton crazy good in one possession regulation games as well? If not there is definitely a flukish element to it imo, no offense intended to fsu or ham.

Most impressive is that so many were good teams. Its one thing to do it to a highly ranked duke like the other night as opposed to letting a scrub you should have beaten in regulation get you to OT then beat them.

Super Impressive regardless.

This is from a couple years ago but the results, at least for FSU, have largely stayed the same.

niq7gevrpqk21.jpg

You have to imagine the depth that Hamilton creates plays into this. You can have your best players fresher at the end of games. That's a big advantage compared to most teams who rely heavily on 7-8 rotation guys throughout the entire game. However, the abundance of playable depth might also create a lack of continuity throughout the game. This could help explain why he has a great record in 1 possession games and OT games but his overall record isn't as strong. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: GE Nole
Pretty impressive.

Without looking into it I think this could be partly due to how well Hamilton uses his bench. I know these college players can probably run for days, but I’d assume that keeping legs just a little fresher can help in this extra few minutes (or when there’s foul trouble). I’m sure there are a lot of other factors but that one popped into my head immediately.

You have to imagine the depth that Hamilton creates plays into this. You can have your best players fresher at the end of games. That's a big advantage compared to most teams who rely heavily on 7-8 rotation guys throughout the entire game. However, the abundance of playable depth might also create a lack of continuity throughout the game. This could help explain why he has a great record in 1 possession games and OT games but his overall record isn't as strong. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree about the depth playing a factor the longer the game goes on. Both in terms of energy and in less foul trouble.

But the overall record being weaker is actually easily explained by something else—his career progression. He has taken three college jobs (Okie State, Miami, FSU) and all three he took over when the program was down. In Miami and FSU’s case, the programs were among the worst in all of high-major basketball when he took over. Miami was on the brink of disbanding the program altogether.

These rebuild jobs took time. And often the person who’s record benefitted was the NEXT coach. When Ham left Miami they had just won the Big East and went to the Sweet 16. Had he stuck around, Miami was poised to be what FSU is now.

The only program he coached long enough to enjoy the full fruits of his labor was FSU.

First year at Okie State - 8-20.
Last year at Okie State (year 4) - 17-14

First year at Miami - 9-19. (His second year at Miami was their first in the Big East. They went 1-17 in league play).
Last year at Miami - 23-11 and reg season champ.

First year at FSU - 14-15 (4-12 in ACC)
Since 2007, 22+ wins in 10 of the 14 full seasons since.

13 straight is crazy. There was a tweet from someone at the NCAA that Florida St entered the season tied with five other programs with 11 straight OT wins. That's crazy also, that 11 straight has been done six times. The tweet didn't list the other five schools, but I have found that Louisville (1968-1975), UMass (1991-1996) and Virginia (1991-1996) are three of the schools. Anyone know who the other two are?

Just looking at the media guides, the 11 straight by UMass were Calipari's last 11 OT games there. He then won his first two OT games at Memphis. So he also had 13 straight OT wins as a coach. I don't see this mentioned anywhere, so maybe I'm wrong. Anyone know?

By my count, Leonard Hamilton has a career OT record of 30-24 (21-17 at Florida St, 6-6 at Miami, 3-1 Oklahoma St).
Florida St's win over Duke makes Krzyzewski 38-37 in OT games (34-31 at Duke and 4-6 at Army).

Fluke. I'm sure there are things a coach can do to improve their chances of winning overtime games but none of those things are going to make it remotely likely that you win 13 in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT