ADVERTISEMENT

1/3rd of the way through the season are you...

Auburn 11-0 expectations met I suppose. Thought we’d have lost one by now but then again thought we’d have ran a few teams out the gym that kept it close.

Honestly we haven’t been all that sharp but then you see what everyone else in cbb looks like and we good.

Reactions: olsonab
Gonzaga is 11-1 and ranked #1 so I am very pleased. I would have assumed that they would be 10-2 before the season had started and be in the top 10. But now They look like a lock for a #1 seed in the west.

Funny thing is that this team is not as good as last years team. Shoot Brandon Clarke are Rui Hachimura are playing really well as rookies in the NBA right now. I' doubt Gonzaga has a 1st round pick on this roster right now.

I think that we just have to realize that this is a down year, and that means that this Gonzaga team has a good shot at winning it all even if they aren't as good as last year. With that said, this team is going to be bonkers talented net year when they get Suggs in as their point guard.
I had no idea Gonzaga fans existed

Reactions: Tall Squirrel
Gonzaga is 11-1 and ranked #1 so I am very pleased. I would have assumed that they would be 10-2 before the season had started and be in the top 10. But now They look like a lock for a #1 seed in the west.

Funny thing is that this team is not as good as last years team. Shoot Brandon Clarke are Rui Hachimura are playing really well as rookies in the NBA right now. I' doubt Gonzaga has a 1st round pick on this roster right now.

I think that we just have to realize that this is a down year, and that means that this Gonzaga team has a good shot at winning it all even if they aren't as good as last year. With that said, this team is going to be bonkers talented net year when they get Suggs in as their point guard.

Gonzaga isn’t winning it all

1: Disappointed in your team so far this season compared to pre season expectations?

2: Pleasantly surprised in your team compared to pre season expectations?

3: Expectations met compared to pre season expectations?
I am way late in posting to this, but my UK Cats have lost three games.

My response is Number 1: The team can't shoot, so my expectations are a lot lower than they were preseason.

Reactions: ThePhog08
We look pretty good at times, other times our offense gets stagnant and we get lackadaisical on defense. Can’t stand when Nwora reverts to hunting shots, and Perry dribbles into traffic with no plan, and turns the ball over. Frustrating.

This is where I am but I have been surprised at the caliber of defense they have played. The defense they played on a to that point hot Michigan squad was otherworldly. McMahon's no longer a defensive liability which is another pleasant surprise that makes the overall caliber of defense better. My frustrations are on the set end and how poor this team is in transition; bad shot selection is this team's albatross and it seems like they don't recognize mismatches...when Enoch is isolated on the low block and they are four out--which is the base for Mack's halfcourt sets--they seemingly ignore it for a challenged shot early in the shotclock, especially Nwora and Perry. Beyond that, they are terrible at post entries when they do make them; to the wrong or lane hand instead of the baseline hand or bad angles from the top of the key which showed in spades against TX Tech.

Perry's not on the floor for his offense and he seems to be the only person in Louisville who doesn't know it. Kimball has been nondescript; more Kwan Fore than certainly Christen Cunningham or Trey Lewis.

Besides an atrocious defensive performance against a team that Duke was favored by a million to beat at home, I think Duke is better than I expected at this point. I thought perimeter shooting could be a major concern for this team if Joey Baker was not playing. Well Joey is playing and shooting close to 50% from three. Heck, even Jordan Goldwire has knocked down a few threes.

This is where I am but I have been surprised at the caliber of defense they have played. The defense they played on a to that point hot Michigan squad was otherworldly. McMahon's no longer a defensive liability which is another pleasant surprise that makes the overall caliber of defense better. My frustrations are on the set end and how poor this team is in transition; bad shot selection is this team's albatross and it seems like they don't recognize mismatches...when Enoch is isolated on the low block and they are four out--which is the base for Mack's halfcourt sets--they seemingly ignore it for a challenged shot early in the shotclock, especially Nwora and Perry. Beyond that, they are terrible at post entries when they do make them; to the wrong or lane hand instead of the baseline hand or bad angles from the top of the key which showed in spades against TX Tech.

Perry's not on the floor for his offense and he seems to be the only person in Louisville who doesn't know it. Kimball has been nondescript; more Kwan Fore than certainly Christen Cunningham or Trey Lewis.
Agree with everything.

I miss CC a lot this year. Ryan is trying though.

A few stats about our offensive woes this season

The Cavaliers have finished among the nation’s top 20 in turnover rate five seasons running, and no Bennett team has completed a year lower than 85th. They were No. 12 a year ago at 14.7%. This season Virginia ranks 264th, turning the ball over on 21.2% of its possessions, according to Ken Pomeroy’s analytics. Sunday’s percentage — a season-high 19 giveaways on 63 possessions — was an untenable 30.2. With Jerome a rock at point guard last season, Clark committed a meager 39 turnovers in 1,018 minutes. This season he has 35 in 389 minutes.

Virginia (9-2, 2-0 ACC) is shooting 39.8% overall, 26.1% from beyond the 3-point arc. The last Cavaliers team to finish a season below 40% was 1993-94, and no Virginia squad has finished below 29% from long range. The Cavaliers shot 47.4% overall last season, 39.5% from deep, and ranked second nationally in adjusted offensive efficiency. This season, shooting poorly and turning the ball over, they’re 180th at 1.00 points per possession. Bennett’s worst offensive team, Virginia 2010-11, averaged 1.04 points per possession.

It feels like more shots are coming off a guy, usually Clark or Mamadi Diakite, just deciding at the end of a shot clock to try to do something one-on-one, and the numbers actually indicate that. A tick under 56 percent of Virginia’s baskets in 2018-2019 were assisted; we’re down to 49.3 percent there this season. And those late shots haven’t been nearly as effective. According to Hoops-Math.com, Virginia had an effective field-goal percentage of 47.9 percent on late-offense shots, defined as coming within five seconds of the end of a shot clock. This season: 33.9 percent.

I am way late in posting to this, but my UK Cats have lost three games.

My response is Number 1: The team can't shoot, so my expectations are a lot lower than they were preseason.

The Louisville win has to be encouraging? That might be the turning point. Maxey has to be the go to guy.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I’d say slightly disappointed. 5 tough games and went 2-3. Not awful, but was hoping for 3 wins. Didn’t slip up in any of the gimmes, which is good.

The problem is the 2 medium difficulty games (tx and @neb), lost both. Win those two and I would be happy with the season so far

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT