ADVERTISEMENT

Do Arkansas fans actually think Cal will succeed there?

Arkansas lands Aidoo, and it sounds like Davis and Garrison are on the way. Damn…they might be building a monster.
I was surprised by Aidoo and Awaka leaving UT. Aidoo got better as time went by, but had a serious problem against elite Big men. Awaka didn't get the minutes, but that was due to him getting into foul trouble.

Aidoo was a complete no show against Purdue. He cost us that game.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
I was surprised by Aidoo and Awaka leaving UT. Aidoo got better as time went by, but had a serious problem against elite Big men. Awaka didn't get the minutes, but that was due to him getting into foul trouble.

Aidoo was a complete no show against Purdue. He cost us that game.
Aidoo going to Arkansas was a surprise to me. I'll be interested to see how well he plays under Cal. He gives Cal a grown man as long as he actually plays him.

Yeah, Cal could find success at Arky. As long as he continues to bring in top 2/3 freshmen classes every yr, no reason to think he won't field a competitive team.

I guess the question becomes what is meant by "succeed?" What are the parameters? How do we define success as it relates to Cal and Arky? Making the tournament every yr? Getting to the second weekend more often then not? Make one FF while he is coaching there? Win the SEC?

In my opinion, all of those are possible...I am not naive enough to think Cal couldn't find himself in another FF. But the 2020-2024 Cal needs to reinvent himself, otherwise it will just be dumb luck to find himself in another FF.

My feeling on it is to hell with them. Barnes has already replaced them, so we'll just have to see how that works out.
I feel the same way with Cal and anyone else that follows him. So far, Pope and his staff are making me feel a lot more confident about the program and I feel like it will be about team accomishments moreso than individual ones. I like having juniors and seniors that have been there and done that over unproven box-of-chocolate me-first high school kids.

I feel the same way with Cal and anyone else that follows him. So far, Pope and his staff are making me feel a lot more confident about the program and I feel like it will be about team accomishments moreso than individual ones. I like having juniors and seniors that have been there and done that over unproven box-of-chocolate me-first high school kids.
I do not have any reason to think Pope is anything or not. He is put into a tight spot though.

Apparently Arkansas is "Calipari University" now
GMdVoE1W0AAtttx

Jerry Jones will fire him for wasting him money if he doesn't win a Super anything for him.

John W. Tyson will either feed him to the pigs or drain his remains into a local river or lake.

Cal's gonna have the same team he had at UK other than his best players, best assistant coach, fan base, and will to live.
I expect he’ll do pretty good, but not amazing with that mix.

I’d imagine it would sting if he wins pretty big there with all those players though.

I’d imagine it would sting if he wins pretty big there with all those players though.
Sting to UK fans? Ehh. Pitino won a title at UL, and was mocked relentlessly.

He's a HOF coach. He'll have good/great years. What stung was the last few years here with all those players.

I liked him at Memphis and still like him at Arkansas.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Cal created so many highs and low's the last few years. He will do amazing things, like win at Auburn and Tennessee, but lose at home to UGA, Vandy, UNCW, Gonzaga and evansville.
Then lose in the SECT to garbage teams, then lose to Oakland, SP and KSU.
Those wins at Auburn and UT last year were amazing. He won at Arkansas the year before with a depleted team and a pouting pg (Wheeler).
When he's motivated, he can beat anybody, but I don't know what's going on during those losses.
Part of the problem is the terrible lineups he plays for whatever reason. Probably promises made during recruiting, but whatever it is, I hope he continues the bullshit at Arkansas, don't freakin' change now.

I'm a UK fan first and foremost, but I will laugh my ass off. I will follow UK, but still get a huge chuckle.

We're probably the only fanbase who'd run off a HOF coach. Let's see if the grass is greener. Looking at our players and coach, it's going to be interesting.

Cal created so many highs and low's the last few years. He will do amazing things, like win at Auburn and Tennessee, but lose at home to UGA, Vandy, UNCW, Gonzaga and evansville.
Then lose in the SECT to garbage teams, then lose to Oakland, SP and KSU.
Those wins at Auburn and UT last year were amazing. He won at Arkansas the year before with a depleted team and a pouting pg (Wheeler).
When he's motivated, he can beat anybody, but I don't know what's going on during those losses.
Part of the problem is the terrible lineups he plays for whatever reason. Probably promises made during recruiting, but whatever it is, I hope he continues the bullshit at Arkansas, don't freakin' change now.
To be fair, you said even if he won another title, you'd still want him gone.

I live on the Arkansas side of Memphis, have friends who are Arkansas fans. I'll be happy for them.

Friendship>sports

Works out for everyone. My friends in Kentucky wanted him gone. Done. Arkansas wanted a big hire. Done.

Memphis fans who hated him for leaving hated him, they were hurt, now they root for him again.

Almost a full circle.

But hey, we''ve got Pope and UK has had 5 coaches win a title.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
He is motivated...
It’s a game to game thing, he can't sustain it and besides, he’s gotta make good on the promises he’s having to make right now.

You don't think Edwards and Wagner started all year over 2 lottery picks because Cal thought they were better players, do you?

Cal is a great recruiter, but in order to maintain that, he’s having to make promises. Johnell Davis isn’t going to put up with playing behind DJ Wagner. Ado was transferring before Cal left UK, somehow Cal talked him into coming to Arkansas, he didn't agree to go there to sit behind another Calipari favorite, but that's what's going to happen.

There's been a lot of turmoil the last 5 years on Cal's teams, expect that to continue.

To be fair, you said even if he won another title, you'd still want him gone.
100%.
The only way Cal wins a title, is if the players are good enough to overcome all his bullshit. That’s why it only happened once and look what it took for that to happen. He needed a generational talent, a transcendent talent and an NBA lockout that brought back three players that would have left.

Today's high school kids are different, they don't have the drive to win like they did 10 years ago. It’s all about draft stock and miney and Cal caters to that. He makes promises to get overrated kids and he ignores what the metrics say. He only has 1 offense and 1 defense, he has to simplify everything and it's all very easy to prepare for.

Cal was/is never going to win another title. He’s not good enough and he's too set in his narcissistic ways to change.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm a UK fan first and foremost, but I will laugh my ass off. I will follow UK, but still get a huge chuckle.

We're probably the only fanbase who'd run off a HOF coach. Let's see if the grass is greener. Looking at our players and coach, it's going to be interesting.
Ran off? No, dude tried to pull a fast one on Mitch and screwed up.
He tried to squeeze UK and it backfired on him. He ran himself off and cost himself 33 million dollars in the process.

In the last 5 years, he has 1 NCAAT win, 1 SECT win, a historic losing season, the 2 worst NCAAT losses in program history, multiple losses at home to mid majors and a losing record vs ranked teams, all with the most talent and the most NBA draft picks. Do that at duke, unc and kansas and see what happens.

He still had a large part of the fanbase in his corner, the fans didn't run him off, his narcissistic bullshit is what landed him in Arkansas. He thought he was bigger than the university and Mitch would kiss his ass. He got what he deserved.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Ran off? No, dude tried to pull a fast one on Mitch and screwed up.
He tried to squeeze UK and it backfired on him. He ran himself off and cost himself 33 million dollars in the process.

In the last 5 years, he has 1 NCAAT win, 1 SECT win, a historic losing season, the 2 worst NCAAT losses in program history, multiple losses at home to mid majors and a losing record vs ranked teams, all with the most talent and the most NBA draft picks. Do that at duke, unc and kansas and see what happens.

He still had a large part of the fanbase in his corner, the fans didn't run him off, his narcissistic bullshit is what landed him in Arkansas. He thought he was bigger than the university and Mitch would kiss his ass. He got what he deserved.
I'm currently talking to my brother who lives outside Lexington. you almost quoted him word for word.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
It’s a game to game thing, he can't sustain it and besides, he’s gotta make good on the promises he’s having to make right now.

You don't think Edwards and Wagner started all year over 2 lottery picks because Cal thought they were better players, do you?

Cal is a great recruiter, but in order to maintain that, he’s having to make promises. Johnell Davis isn’t going to put up with playing behind DJ Wagner. Ado was transferring before Cal left UK, somehow Cal talked him into coming to Arkansas, he didn't agree to go there to sit behind another Calipari favorite, but that's what's going to happen.

There's been a lot of turmoil the last 5 years on Cal's teams, expect that to continue.
p14-godzilla-a-20140112-870x632.jpg

I think UK fans have awoken a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve for revenge.

The SEC's only hope is Barnes ( aka King Barnes) as the only known countermeasure. 😲

Last edited:
I’m getting a laugh out of Arkansas fans who see Cal’s recruiting and are getting ahead of themselves believing it’s going to lead to multiple national titles in a short span.

If this was 2010 I could believe it. Kentucky could/should have won multiple titles. But the sport has changed a lot. Cal basically running it back minus three best players, while adding a couple commits & transfer portal guys is a very confusing strategy tbh.

Reactions: kyjeff1
you are correct! Cal could always recruit, he just isn't a great coach and a worse game day coach.

Cal brings an air of confidence that quickly gets sucked away when the game and season begins.

Opposite of Self who for some reason we feel we can beat anyone with annyone and we’ll never have a bad season because we have Self. Even though we shouldn’t be that confident.

Reactions: winin11 and kyjeff1
I’m getting a laugh out of Arkansas fans who see Cal’s recruiting and are getting ahead of themselves believing it’s going to lead to multiple national titles in a short span.
That’s what I'm saying. So far, I see nobody on this Arkansas roster that would crack any of the rosters Cal shit the bed with. Dude has underachieved with far more talent than this.

Davis is good, but he now has to try to play in a big boy conference and there's going to be a lot of weight on his shoulders, because there is nobody else on that roster that can take over games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT