ADVERTISEMENT

Antoine Davis is within reach of Pistol Pete

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Not super likely to happen. But, it is possible. He's currently 185 points behind The Pistol. There are 4 regular season games remaining for Detroit plus at least 1 conference tournament game. He would need to average 37 ppg over the next 5 games to tie Maravich.

NCAA All-Time Leading Scorers
1. Pete Maravich, LSU, 3,667
2. Antoine Davis, Detroit Mercy, 3,482
3. Freeman Williams, Portland State, 3,249
4. Chris Clemons, Campbell, 3,225
5. Lionel Simmons, La Salle, 3,217

Detroit is 11-16 - wouldn't be that surprising if Mike Davis just says, "Have at it! Go for the record." Because honestly it kind of looks like that's what they're already doing. 41, 42, 32, and 35 points in his last 4 games (37.5 average). This dude is going for the record, IMO. Obviously his best shot at it would be if Detroit advances in the Horizon League Tournament. If they get a 7 seed in the tournament, they could have a very winnable game against the 10th seeded Green Bay (currently 361st in KenPom). 6 games would mean he'd only need to average 31 ppg to break the scoring record.

It's cool to see records go down, especially if they're perceived unbreakable ones. Not sure how I feel about this one. Davis is trying to do in 5 years what Pistol did in 3.

Not super likely to happen. But, it is possible. He's currently 185 points behind The Pistol. There are 4 regular season games remaining for Detroit plus at least 1 conference tournament game. He would need to average 37 ppg over the next 5 games to tie Maravich.

Detroit is 11-16 - wouldn't be that surprising if Mike Davis just says, "Have at it! Go for the record." Because honestly it kind of looks like that's what they're already doing. 41, 42, 32, and 35 points in his last 4 games (37.5 average). This dude is going for the record, IMO. Obviously his best shot at it would be if Detroit advances in the Horizon League Tournament. If they get a 7 seed in the tournament, they could have a very winnable game against the 10th seeded Green Bay (currently 361st in KenPom). 6 games would mean he'd only need to average 31 ppg to break the scoring record.

It's cool to see records go down, especially if they're perceived unbreakable ones. Not sure how I feel about this one. Davis is trying to do in 5 years what Pistol did in 3.
Is that a Davis kid like the one at IU?

might as well, right? Just give him the Kobe last game treatment and let him shoot 50x each game.

I wonder if this will get anywhere near the same fanfare and media coverage as Lebron got last week. This is a much more impressive record to break given the sheer number of college players vs the number of NBA players.

Of course, Pistol did it when college players weren't allowed to play freshman year...

I'm ok with him breaking the record----even though it will have taken him 5 years, and having the luxruy of the 3-point shot.

I mean could Babe Ruth done what he did, vs today's pitching? 98 mph sliders, that fall off the table. Who da fuq had that pitch in 1925?

might as well, right? Just give him the Kobe last game treatment and let him shoot 50x each game.

I wonder if this will get anywhere near the same fanfare and media coverage as Lebron got last week. This is a much more impressive record to break given the sheer number of college players vs the number of NBA players.

Of course, Pistol did it when college players weren't allowed to play freshman year...
And defenses were much less "physical".........

Btw, while we're on the topic of unbreakable records, can anyone find out what the records are for PPG by a team in conference play?

The 1969-1970 Iowa Hawkeyes hold the B10 record averaging 102.9 ppg through conference games.

I was wondering what other conferences' records were and what the NCAA record was.

I'd have to imagine that 102.9 ppg in conference play (let alone a season) is pretty safe, so whoever has the NCAA record is locked in stone.

Btw, while we're on the topic of unbreakable records, can anyone find out what the records are for PPG by a team in conference play?

The 1969-1970 Iowa Hawkeyes hold the B10 record averaging 102.9 ppg through conference games.

I was wondering what other conferences' records were and what the NCAA record was.

I'd have to imagine that 102.9 ppg in conference play (let alone a season) is pretty safe, so whoever has the NCAA record is locked in stone.

I’d take a look at those Hank Gathers/ Bo Kimble Loyola Maramount teams before making that claim.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter

Not sure, but speaking of unbreakable records.....

---54 STRAIGHT points. Yeah, 54. Bill Milkvy of Temple scored 54 consecutive points. Da fuq? Yeah, that record is safe....Unless Mike Davis has a game where only his son shoots.

--Frank Selvy's 100 point game. Nope. Will never happen. Closest has been 72.

--48 staright games with a double-double. Tom Golla. This one could be challenged. But damn.

--24 consecutive FT's-----IN A GAME. Highly unlikely.

THis one, I dunno. But Steve Kerr shot 57% from three,while making at least 100, is untouchable. Due was 114-199 from three as senior(1988). That is ****ing insane.

---54 STRAIGHT points. Yeah, 54. Bill Milkvy of Temple scored 54 consecutive points. Da fuq? Yeah, that record is safe....Unless Mike Davis has a game where only his son shoots.

--48 staright games with a double-double. Tom Golla. This one could be challenged. But damn.

THis one, I dunno. But Steve Kerr shot 57% from three,while making at least 100, is untouchable. Due was 114-199 from three as senior(1988). That is ****ing insane.

shouldn't Oscar Tshiebwe have broken that double double record over last two seasons? Seems like he was a double double machine.

I could see the 24 consecutive FTs mark falling at some point.

Tony Perkins, who isn't exactly the greatest FT shooter in the country, tied the Iowa record with 15 straight in a game and should've made his 16th attempt as well.

That's just 8 off the record in a tight ball game.

That kind of record is a matter of circumstance, so it's more susceptible to falling than some of these others, where teams/players really would have to go out of their way to break it.

shouldn't Oscar Tshiebwe have broken that double double record over last two seasons? Seems like he was a double double machine.
He had two games last year with no DD----ANd 5 so far this year.

48 straight is impressive shit.

I could see the 24 consecutive FTs mark falling at some point.

Tony Perkins, who isn't exactly the greatest FT shooter in the country, tied the Iowa record with 15 straight in a game and should've made his 16th attempt as well.

That's just 8 off the record in a tight ball game.

That kind of record is a matter of circumstance, so it's more susceptible to falling than some of these others, where teams/players really would have to go out of their way to break it.
24 straight FT's in a game is tough----First off, getting 24 attempts is tough enough---Then hitting all of them?

Pretty sure Greg Graham from Indiana came close back in the 90's---I'd have to look.

129 home winning streak. It's only been 80 years. UCLA during the heyday just had 98.

I'm ok with him breaking the record----even though it will have taken him 5 years, and having the luxruy of the 3-point shot.

I mean could Babe Ruth done what he did, vs today's pitching? 98 mph sliders, that fall off the table. Who da fuq had that pitch in 1925?
Then again he would have access to modern day training, supplements, coaching, etc. People think Ruth was just some fat guy, but until his late years he was actually in very good shape. He was the first player to hire a personal trainer to get him into shape, despite the belief that he was lazy. He actually worked on his body a lot for back then.

It’s also hard to say about the pitching… pitchers do pitch faster on average now, but there were guys back then that pitched in the high 90s. Bob Feller clocked in at 101, Walter Johnson at 99.7, and Lefty Grove and Satchel Paige were right up there with them. Ruth excelled against those guys just as well as any other pitcher. Paige himself once said that the last time he threw a fastball to Ruth, he hit one that hasn’t landed yet. Ruth himself had a fastball estimated at 97mph. Ironic that perhaps the best HR hitter of all time started out as a pitcher.

What’s most impressive about Ruth is that he swung a 42 oz bat. Closer to a small tree than a baseball bat. Most guys of the time couldn’t handle anything close to that, nor can they now. Ruth thought had no drop off on his accuracy with his big bat, and his bat speed was virtually the same with the big bat. So really nobody before or since has swung a bat with so much kinetic/potential energy.

So it’s hard to tell. The only thing that we can confirm is that he was leap years better than anybody else at his time with the resources available to him.

He’ll get it…if it takes him 50 shots. Detroit mercy ain’t playing for anything else so might as well give him the ball.

This feels like a Barry Bonds type record break. Yea he might break it, but with an asterisk. He got an extra year due to Covid.

This feels like a Barry Bonds type record break. Yea he might break it, but with an asterisk. He got an extra year due to Covid.
He will have played 50 more games than Pete did. Freshmen weren’t allowed to play Pete’s first year at lsu

Reactions: bMORE607
Games is on ESPN+. Darn! I've stayed away from ESPN+ this whole time because I always had plenty of games to watch. But, this is probably the most intriguing game of the night, IMO. Might cave.

If I'm Youngstown State, I'm doubling him all night. Don't let him break the record against you. If you hold him to 24 points or fewer, you'll be remembered for ending his career - and robbing him of the points record.

Games is on ESPN+. Darn! I've stayed away from ESPN+ this whole time because I always had plenty of games to watch. But, this is probably the most intriguing game of the night, IMO. Might cave.

If I'm Youngstown State, I'm doubling him all night. Don't let him break the record against you. If you hold him to 24 points or fewer, you'll be remembered for ending his career - and robbing him of the points record.
He is going to get 50 shots tonight if it’s needed . Detroit is 10-18 and have nothing to play for besides this record.

He averages 23.5 against Youngstown state. It's going to be a nail biter. I'm assuming, and it's been stated already, if they get down big early, he's chucking up every chance he gets.

He is going to get 50 shots tonight if it’s needed . Detroit is 10-18 and have nothing to play for besides this record.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get the record tonight. But, if I'm Youngstown State, I'd try everything in my capabilities of shutting him down.

He averages 23.5 against Youngstown state. It's going to be a nail biter. I'm assuming, and it's been stated already, if they get down big early, he's chucking up every chance he gets.

This is a good point. If the game gets out of hand it will become more open and the defense will become more relaxed, making it easier to get off uncontested shots. Wouldn't be overly surprising if he went for 40 points.

I'd kind of like to see him with 24 points, down by one, with a chance to win the game and break the scoring record in the closing seconds... and he takes and misses a contested shot, while being double-teamed, when a teammate was wide-open in the corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: bMORE607
I'd be surprised if he doesn't get the record tonight. But, if I'm Youngstown State, I'd try everything in my capabilities of shutting him down.

This is a good point. If the game gets out of hand it will become more open and the defense will become more relaxed, making it easier to get off uncontested shots. Wouldn't be overly surprising if he went for 40 points.

I'd kind of like to see him with 24 points, down by one, with a chance to win the game and break the scoring record in the closing seconds... and he takes a contested shot, while being double-teamed, when a teammate was wide-open in the corner.
I honestly don’t want him to break the record. He will have played like 50 more games than pistol Pete. Pete also didn’t have the 3 point line. 44.2 wcorobf average per game. Davis averages 28 and was at 25 before this Eason.

I'd kind of like to see him with 24 points, down by one, with a chance to win the game and break the scoring record in the closing seconds... and he takes a contested shot, while being double-teamed, when a teammate was wide-open in the corner.
I will give him a little credit. Twice in the game last night at the end he had a chance to shoot but instead passed it to walk-ons who got uncontested layups. So while he wants the record….he’s not going all out for it.

I will give him a little credit. Twice in the game last night at the end he had a chance to shoot but instead passed it to walk-ons who got uncontested layups. So while he wants the record….he’s not going all out for it.

Good to hear. Perhaps I've misjudged him as a selfish person. I've known who Antoine Davis was for a while, but I've rarely seen him play. I've always viewed him as a score-first player.

He also entered the portal last spring and was recruited quite heavily by some power programs. And I think that recruitment rubbed me the wrong way. Felt like he knew all along he was staying at Detroit - and he allowed several schools to waste time and money on him. I think I read that he was trying to secure bigger NIL deals, which is fine, but not when you're teasing other schools.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
Good to hear. Perhaps I've misjudged him as a selfish person. I've known who Antoine Davis was for a while, but I've rarely seen him play. I've always viewed him as a score-first player.

He also entered the portal last spring and was recruited quite heavily by some power programs. And I think that recruitment rubbed me the wrong way. Felt like he knew all along he was staying at Detroit - and he allowed several schools to waste time and money on him. I think I read that he was trying to secure bigger NIL deals, which is fine, but not when you're teasing other schools.
ESPN had a write up on him at the beginning of the season seems while he did want to go to a bigger program and secure a larger NIL, I think he enjoyed playing for his father and wanted to finish out his career. Can’t really blame him. Life is going to come fast once he graduates so take the time and enjoy it.

Maravich has 3,667 career points. Antoine Davis has 3,642 career points. Davis has 584 career 3-pointers. Pretty easy to calculate this (3,642 - 584). If Davis was playing in an era before the 3-point line, he would only have 3,058 points. That would put him 608 points behind Maravich.

ADVERTISEMENT