ADVERTISEMENT

Zion/Nike

The house and cars just seems too obvious. There is no way they were this careless if they knew they were getting paid… .. right?
Well, sometimes you get arrogant. Duke had already skated by with the Maggette and his receiving money, and also Thomas and his getting a 100K worth of jewelry, so, my guess is they assumed they were un-touchable. And so far, they are correct, we will see how this turns out. I doubt anything happens to Duke, Zion or K, at least it hasn't yet. Not to mention the Bagley family moved into a one million dollar house after Marvin signed with Duke. Seems to be a pattern here.

Last edited:
Well, sometimes you get arrogant. Duke had already skated by with the Maggette and his receiving money, and also Thomas and his getting a 100K worth of jewelry, so, my guess is they assumed they were un-touchable. And so far, they are correct, we will see how this turns out. I doubt anything happens to Duke, Zion or K, at least it hasn't yet. Not to mention the Bagley family moved into a one million dollar house after Marvin signed with Duke. Seems to be a pattern here.
Any actual proof on either of these. You know what they say about assumptions, right?

They all play in the gray area when it comes to big time recruiting but there is no question that Duke is as dirty as they come. K saw what Cal was doing in Lexington and knew to stay relevant he had to up his game fast. Hence, hiring Capel - one of dirtiest recruiters in the business - and burying his head in the sand.

I almost feel bad for Adidas in this instance. Rarely do you see a kid who was that hyped diss the shoe company who took care of him on the AAU circuit and jump to one of their rivals highest profile programs. That, in itself, will tell you how much Duke was paying.

So the goat K and Duke had to start playing dirty to keep up and stay relevant with Cal at UK who was doing it cleanly? Never mind the fact that Duke won it all in 2010 and 2015 when both years UK had hands down the most talented team in the nation?

So the goat K and Duke had to start playing dirty to keep up and stay relevant with Cal at UK who was doing it cleanly? Never mind the fact that Duke won it all in 2010 and 2015 when both years UK had hands down the most talented team in the nation?

I said they all play in the gray area, lil bro fan. The difference is that Calipari was onto something that others were not embracing. There was no way Duke would be able to out recruit a high level guy going up against Kentucky once the hype machine started rolling. But there was a seismic shift, out of the blue, that happened and I think that has nothing to do with Coach k and his reputation.

Which comes back to Zion. The guy was an Adidas kid coming up through the ranks. There was no way a Nike school was going to get him away from Adidas when you consider the hype and how valuable he would have been to that brand. However, he dissed them and went to Duke to play with two other top 10 recruits at the same position. Do the math.

They all play in the gray area when it comes to big time recruiting but there is no question that Duke is as dirty as they come. K saw what Cal was doing in Lexington and knew to stay relevant he had to up his game fast. Hence, hiring Capel - one of dirtiest recruiters in the business - and burying his head in the sand.

I almost feel bad for Adidas in this instance. Rarely do you see a kid who was that hyped diss the shoe company who took care of him on the AAU circuit and jump to one of their rivals highest profile programs. That, in itself, will tell you how much Duke was paying.
You keep wishing. Sooner or later it will come true.

I said they all play in the gray area, lil bro fan. The difference is that Calipari was onto something that others were not embracing. There was no way Duke would be able to out recruit a high level guy going up against Kentucky once the hype machine started rolling. But there was a seismic shift, out of the blue, that happened and I think that has nothing to do with Coach k and his reputation.

Which comes back to Zion. The guy was an Adidas kid coming up through the ranks. There was no way a Nike school was going to get him away from Adidas when you consider the hype and how valuable he would have been to that brand. However, he dissed them and went to Duke to play with two other top 10 recruits at the same position. Do the math.

So your saying K and Duke had to go above and beyond what Calipari at UK was doing in the “grey area” in order to stay relevant with Cal and UK. So does that put K now in the black area or the red area?

Same position? Reddish and Barrett are wings, I’ll give you that, but zion isn’t.

So your saying K and Duke had to go above and beyond what Calipari at UK was doing in the “grey area” in order to stay relevant with Cal and UK. So does that put K now in the black area or the red area?

Same position? Reddish and Barrett are wings, I’ll give you that, but zion isn’t.

I'm saying no one was trying to recruit super teams of top 10 freshmen together, starting them and letting them work it out. He changed the game and the kids saw it.

Other coaches eventually noticed after secretly thinking he'd fail and it's been copy cat city ever since

On a side note, the butt hurt is strong with you. Don't hate UK because you're program was caught cheating twice and is now facing the death penalty.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
I’ll still hate uk if Louisville gets a 10 death penalty lol. And cal changed the game, when multiple coaches have more titles than cal since he’s been at UK. The one and done Mcdaa teams have been very good, except when it comes to cutting down the nets. I’d say uk 2012 and duke 2015 are the only 2 champs the last decade that relied super heavily on OaDs to win a natty.

I will concede that Duke and others have seemed to switch their recruiting to Cals style of bringing in the best one year kids every year and build it again next year.

Id say the seismic shift happened when www was made to steer clear of Lex, and in 2015 when Cal didn’t seal the deal with the most talented team ever assembled.(on paper, but possibly on the court as well) And I don’t think the platoon thing that year helped either, in the eyes of the top 5 recruits. Watching KAT the most talented player in the nation, getting subbed out for Marcus Lee everytime UK made any substitution, bc they went full line change, had to rub some of the top of the top future recruits the wrong way.

Granted K couldn’t do it at duke with the best single recruiting class ever with zion cam barret Jones all top 5. So again not seeing how that strategy has changed the game when it’s only produced 2/10 last national champs. And I guess you can kinda count Cuse and Carmelo way back when, although that team had one great frosh and then some nice older guys as well. But regardless 3 titles by freshmen led teams in the entire OaD era isn’t exactly changing the game imo.

Unless you meant changing the recruiting game in which I agree.

Last edited:
I’ll still hate uk if Louisville gets a 10 death penalty lol. And cal changed the game, when multiple coaches have more titles than cal since he’s been at UK. The one and done Mcdaa teams have been very good, except when it comes to cutting down the nets. I’d say uk 2012 and duke 2015 are the only 2 champs the last decade that relied super heavily on OaDs to win a natty.

I will concede that Duke and others have seemed to switch their recruiting to Cals style of bringing in the best one year kids every year and build it again next year.

Id say the seismic shift happened when www was made to steer clear of Lex, and in 2015 when Cal didn’t seal the deal with the most talented team ever assembled.(on paper, but possibly on the court as well) And I don’t think the platoon thing that year helped either, in the eyes of the top 5 recruits. Watching KAT the most talented player in the nation, getting subbed out for Marcus Lee everytime UK made any substitution, bc they went full line change, had to rub some of the top of the top future recruits the wrong way.

Granted K couldn’t do it at duke with the best single recruiting class ever with zion cam barret Jones all top 5. So again not seeing how that strategy has changed the game when it’s only produced 2/10 last national champs. And I guess you can kinda count Cuse and Carmelo way back when, although that team had one great frosh and then some nice older guys as well. But regardless 3 titles by freshmen led teams in the entire OaD era isn’t exactly changing the game imo.

I must admit, I get a certain amount of joy watching a fan of an irrelevant team, who is about to get ass raped by the NCAA, dissect 2 of the top 4 or 5 programs. The jealousy is obvious and it is glorious.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot

The NCAAT is a random event, just ask Virginia. Didn't U of L lose to Morehead state or some small Kentucky school a few years back? Like I said, the NCAAT is extremely difficult to win when it's a 1 game scenario and not a series.

But there are only 2 programs that truly utilize the one and done method. There are 360 schools that have stayed with the traditional 4 year approach.

So when you look at the ratio, 2 titles in 10 years is pretty damn good.

Although, this is the first time I have seen Duke 2015 referred to as a one-and-done team, they had more veterans than freshmen IIRC.

I must admit, I get a certain amount of joy watching a fan of an irrelevant team, who is about to get ass raped by the NCAA, dissect 2 of the top 4 or 5 programs. The jealousy is obvious and it is glorious.

….they do seem at times (frequently) to know/analyze UK for than they do their own team.

If I was as jealous as you all claim, I would just switch to be a UK fan. I’m sure I have as many ties to UK as 90% of the fan base in that I’m from and live in Kentucky.

I just find the level of arrogance hilarious that you think K had to start playing dirty to stay relevant with Calipari, when K is the goat and has won more rings than Calipari since Cal got to UK, or any other time frame. Like paying recruits started in the last few years, as soon as the FBI started investigating, and the only reason programs started paying recruits was to keep up with UK and Calipari, who plays in the “grey area” but doesn’t pay the players. I don’t even understand the “grey area” comment when the rules, however stupid, are pretty black and white.

And I understand the ncaaT is a crap shoot sometimes, but it’s why they play the games. It’s the ultimate goal of every contending team, and it’s what will go down in history.

And yes Louisville lost to Morehead State in 2011 maybe?. Our best player, Preston Knowles, broke his leg after halftime and Kenneth Faried dominated us in the paint. So yes I understand some luck is definitely involved.

As for your ratio regarding the one and done teams, theres only so many one and dones to go around, so it’s not like every team can just up and decide to start recruiting one and dones and have a team of freshmen every year. That alone makes your ratio of 300+ teams doing it then”old way” and only Duke and UK recruiting teams full of one and dones pretty laughable. I’m sure every team would love to have a top 5 sure fire OaD recruit every year or in Dukes case last year, 3 of them, but there’s simply not enough to go around. Not even enough for the “regular” contenders.

I don’t fully remember who all Duke had in 2015 but I think they had okafor, Winslow, and Jones. So 3 one and dones. I think 2012 uk only had 3 as well mkg, Teague, and AD. But I could be missing someone.

If I was as jealous as you all claim, I would just switch to be a UK fan. I’m sure I have as many ties to UK as 90% of the fan base in that I’m from and live in Kentucky.

I just find the level of arrogance hilarious that you think K had to start playing dirty to stay relevant with Calipari, when K is the goat and has won more rings than Calipari since Cal got to UK, or any other time frame. Like paying recruits started in the last few years, as soon as the FBI started investigating, and the only reason programs started paying recruits was to keep up with UK and Calipari, who plays in the “grey area” but doesn’t pay the players. I don’t even understand the “grey area” comment when the rules, however stupid, are pretty black and white.

And I understand the ncaaT is a crap shoot sometimes, but it’s why they play the games. It’s the ultimate goal of every contending team, and it’s what will go down in history.

And yes Louisville lost to Morehead State in 2011 maybe?. Our best player, Preston Knowles, broke his leg after halftime and Kenneth Faried dominated us in the paint. So yes I understand some luck is definitely involved.

As for your ratio regarding the one and done teams, theres only so many one and dones to go around, so it’s not like every team can just up and decide to start recruiting one and dones and have a team of freshmen every year. That alone makes your ratio of 300+ teams doing it then”old way” and only Duke and UK recruiting teams full of one and dones pretty laughable. I’m sure every team would love to have a top 5 sure fire OaD recruit every year or in Dukes case last year, 3 of them, but there’s simply not enough to go around. Not even enough for the “regular” contenders.

I don’t fully remember who all Duke had in 2015 but I think they had okafor, Winslow, and Jones. So 3 one and dones. I think 2012 uk only had 3 as well mkg, Teague, and AD. But I could be missing someone.

….MKG.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

BTW, Winslow and Jones were not recruited as OAD's. After winning the NC, their stock went way up. Tyus should have stayed IMO expert opinion.

If a kid leaves for the nba after 1 year does it even matter whether or not they were recruited as a one and done? They were both 5 star burger boys, correct?

You think K told them during their recruitment, I want you at Duke, but not if you want to go to the nba after your freshmen season?

BTW, Winslow and Jones were not recruited as OAD's. After winning the NC, their stock went way up. Tyus should have stayed IMO expert opinion.
How do you know they weren't recruited as OAD? Nobody knows that, not even Coach K. You have to assume any time you land a top 15ish player, there is a good chance he'll be gone after one season. The only coach that recruits OAD caliber players to stay in college for 3-4 years is Roy Williams. :D

Any actual proof on either of these. You know what they say about assumptions, right?
Well both cases are 100% correct, or do you deny that Maggette admitted to taking the money? Do you deny that Thomas was given 100K in credit as a student to buy jewelry? Does any other Duke student get the same 100K credit? They are both proven beyond a doubt, the fact you won't accept it means nothing to me.

Well both cases are 100% correct, or do you deny that Maggette admitted to taking the money? Do you deny that Thomas was given 100K in credit as a student to buy jewelry? Does any other Duke student get the same 100K credit? They are both proven beyond a doubt, the fact you won't accept it means nothing to me.
Yep, Maggette admitted it as did Myron Piggie and Duke brought the NCAA in and it was determined that Myron gave him the money, Duke knew nothing about it and it had nothing to do with Duke. Case closed.

The Thomas thing had nothing to do with Duke. It was a private business transaction in NYC. Again, nothing to do with Duke, not near Duke, and who knows what other citizens this jeweler gave credit to.

And your anger and dislike of Duke means nothing to me

Yep, Maggette admitted it as did Myron Piggie and Duke brought the NCAA in and it was determined that Myron gave him the money, Duke knew nothing about it and it had nothing to do with Duke. Case closed.

The Thomas thing had nothing to do with Duke. It was a private business transaction in NYC. Again, nothing to do with Duke, not near Duke, and who knows what other citizens this jeweler gave credit to.

And your anger and dislike of Duke means nothing to me
If you believe the above I have some prime mountain top property just off a big old sandy beach in South Florida to sell you. Laughing

No jewelry store is going to give you credit like that without a job. Get real dude.

If you believe the above I have some prime mountain top property just off a big old sandy beach in South Florida to sell you. Laughing

No jewelry store is going to give you credit like that without a job. Get real dude.
Were you there Bert? I wasnt, so neither of us know what was discussed concerning the finances.

And if you think Lance Thomas, who wasnt drafted and couldnt score in college unless it was a dunk, was going to be the beneficiary of some preferential treatment, I have property right next to yours.

ADVERTISEMENT