ADVERTISEMENT

Zion jumper or no jumper?

I'll believe it when I see it in game. It would be criminal to have him at the three point line anyway. Open the lane, and let him do what he does best.

I don't think he's going to have the green light from three. Dude can jump out of the gym though, will be a good 4 but not a stretch 4.

I don't think he's going to have the green light from three. Dude can jump out of the gym though, will be a good 4 but not a stretch 4.

Dude shouldn't even have the yellow light from three. Always red light.

If Zion shoots even 35% from 3, I"ll go ahead and preorder my Duke 2019 National Champion tshirt right now. :p

You better hope that he’s 3/10 or 7/20 then. His volume from 3 should be low.

Can’t wait to see how confused this dude is gonna be against the Pack Line

It's not good currently, but it isn't broke. That's a positive considering we are still 3 months from the start of the season.

I'm anxious to see if Duke's man to man defense will improve, if not they will struggle. Also Zion on the perimeter isn't gonna scare anyone.

If Zion shoots even 35% from 3, I"ll go ahead and preorder my Duke 2019 National Champion tshirt right now. :p

Got about as good of a chance at shooting 35% from deep as Duval did

If you saw the video where LeBron James Jr and his teammates visit the Duke campus, you can see the shooting stats from the most recent practice. Most surprising results are to see Alex O'Connell, a guy who shot almost 49% from 3 last year, shoot at a pedestrian rate of 61%.. And Jack White shooting 83.3%? Did not see that coming. 3-point shooting still looks like a glaring weakness for Duke. I've highlighted the results for the four highly touted freshmen.

280 3-pointers:

Jack White- 233/280 (83.3%)
Joey Baker- 209/280 (74.7%)
Justin Robinson- 208/280 (74.3%)
Cam Reddish- 192/280 (68.6%)
Tre Jones- 95/140 (67.9%)
Zion Williamson- 187/280 (66.8%)

Alex O'Connell- 170/280 (60.8%)
Jordan Goldwire- 158/280 (56.5%)
RJ Barrett- 156/280 (55.8%)
Marques Bolden- 154/280 (55.0%)
Javin DeLaurier- 132/280 (47.2%)

If you saw the video where LeBron James Jr and his teammates visit the Duke campus, you can see the shooting stats from the most recent practice. Most surprising results are to see Alex O'Connell, a guy who shot almost 49% from 3 last year, shoot at a pedestrian rate of 61%.. And Jack White shooting 83.3%? Did not see that coming. 3-point shooting still looks like a glaring weakness for Duke. I've highlighted the results for the four highly touted freshmen.

280 3-pointers:

Jack White- 233/280 (83.3%)
Joey Baker- 209/280 (74.7%)
Justin Robinson- 208/280 (74.3%)
Cam Reddish- 192/280 (68.6%)
Tre Jones- 95/140 (67.9%)
Zion Williamson- 187/280 (66.8%)

Alex O'Connell- 170/280 (60.8%)
Jordan Goldwire- 158/280 (56.5%)
RJ Barrett- 156/280 (55.8%)
Marques Bolden- 154/280 (55.0%)
Javin DeLaurier- 132/280 (47.2%)

Doesn’t mean a thing right now.

Doesn’t mean a thing right now.

You're right, it doesn't mean a thing. But this is a message board where we speculate. I still think outside shooting is a major weakness for Duke. We might need to give O'Connell, Baker, and White decent playing time if we're concerned about teams clogging the paint.

I'm anxious to see if Duke's man to man defense will improve, if not they will struggle. Also Zion on the perimeter isn't gonna scare anyone.

Better athletes, so I would anticipate better defense. You never know with freshmen, though. If they play poor team defense, K isn't afraid to go zone. Our zone was pretty solid for the most part (except for rebounding against Kansas). I think the highest point total against Duke in regulation was 74 points, with a 40-minute zone in effect; that stretch includes the last 12 or 13 games of the season.

You're right, it doesn't mean a thing. But this is a message board where we speculate. I still think outside shooting is a major weakness for Duke. We might need to give O'Connell, Baker, and White decent playing time if we're concerned about teams clogging the paint.

Better athletes, so I would anticipate better defense. You never know with freshmen, though. If they play poor team defense, K isn't afraid to go zone. Our zone was pretty solid for the most part (except for rebounding against Kansas). I think the highest point total against Duke in regulation was 74 points, with a 40-minute zone in effect; that stretch includes the last 12 or 13 games of the season.

If you play zone rebounding is going to be a problem and you won’t be as long as you were last year. I do think O’Connell will get major minutes for Duke this year. I’m not high on this team like I was with last years team because of Bolden. He needs to improve and stay healthy.

If you play zone rebounding is going to be a problem and you won’t be as long as you were last year. I do think O’Connell will get major minutes for Duke this year. I’m not high on this team like I was with last years team because of Bolden. He needs to improve and stay healthy.

Duke won the rebounding battle in 10 of the 13 final games where a zone was employed. We were -1 against Clemson and -4 against Syracuse. Typically, yes, a zone is going to limit your rebounding opportunities, but with a longer team you certainly have a higher margin for error. We got killed on the boards against Kansas, though. Not sure what happened.

As far as Bolden, I think he'll be fine. He was fairly efficient in the minutes he received. And he also battled a fair amount of injuries. Give him solid minutes and a healthy season and I could easily see him averaging 10 ppg, 8 reb, and 2 blocks.

Until K’s system changes or Duke has another senior laden team the man to man will be exactly what it’s been since 2013-2014

Looks like he might provide a little competition for Marek Dolezaj. Should be able to get to double digits against Cuse.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Most exciting player to enter CBB since a young Vince Carter?

You can get a free 7 day trail on espn+
tenor.gif

That sucks. Hard. At least it gives us a chance to see secondary players a bit more. But yeah, that sucks:(
Are you going to still pay even those two aren't playing?

Kentucky was missing two players as well. Duke recruit EJ Montgomery was out due to back, and Baker with knee issues.

How’s a guy that’s 270+ get up from that far out. Crazy

ADVERTISEMENT