ADVERTISEMENT

Zion dunks a lot

I think he is a good player but people are acting like he is the best prospect since LeBron.

The following were all far more impressive and impactful to me as freshmen thus far in the one and done era:

Kevin Durant
Kyrie Irving when healthy
John Wall
Anthony Davis
Derrick Rose
Karl Anthony TownS
RJ Barrett

Oh lord, just look at that list. A guy who does nothing but dunk is better than every other OAD except those guys?!

And sorry, I find Zion way more impressive than RJ. More impressive than Kyrie, too. His body control, his rebounding, his ability to finish around the basket. FFS, this is a guy who, three games in, had more BLOCKS than MISSES. That's lunacy.

Teams aren’t building there franchise around just efficiency. Especially when less shots taken will usually always mean higher efficiency. They need a star to lead the team. Barrett by is far the best prospect to build a team around and is why he will go number 1.
Right. That's why I put my "if" in there. I just don't think Barrett is as far ahead as some are making him out to be. I like my prospects to be go getters, and Barrett is definitely a go getter. But I also want results. He has only had one game where he shot 50% , 13/26 vs Kentucky. 7/20 yesterday was pretty bad because a lot of his misses were out of control and just dumb. He's going to get his and I think he is elite talent. Just saying that there is enough criticism for his game to not label him as the hands down number one pick right now. I would still probably take him at one, but it is definitely closer than not even close.

Oh lord, just look at that list. A guy who does nothing but dunk is better than every other OAD except those guys?!

And sorry, I find Zion way more impressive than RJ. More impressive than Kyrie, too. His body control, his rebounding, his ability to finish around the basket. FFS, this is a guy who, three games in, had more BLOCKS than MISSES. That's lunacy.

You lose the game last night without rj. Still win without Zion. Again his YouTube videos have over hyped him. Those names were just off my head real quick. I am confident I could add more.

Right. That's why I put my "if" in there. I just don't think Barrett is as far ahead as some are making him out to be. I like my prospects to be go getters, and Barrett is definitely a go getter. But I also want results. He has only had one game where he shot 50% , 13/26 vs Kentucky. 7/20 yesterday was pretty bad because a lot of his misses were out of control and just dumb. He's going to get his and I think he is elite talent. Just saying that there is enough criticism for his game to not label him as the hands down number one pick right now. I would still probably take him at one, but it is definitely closer than not even close.

I think Zion is being made to look far more efficient right now because he is able to defer to RJ. Zion hasn’t showed enough to me be a focal point for an nba team. Let’s face it. He is going to a bad team next year. We need to see a lot more from Zion to say he can be a franchise changer Type player. RJ to me has shown much more of those franchise player attributes.

Honestly what does Zion do that was better than Blake griffin at this stage? That is who I would compare him to

Honestly what does Zion do that was better than Blake griffin at this stage? That is who I would compare him to
He has played in five collegiate games. You have watched one. Gives us some more time to assess and stay away from god awful talking heads shows that are there for hype.

I don't hate the Blake Griffin comparison though.

He has played in five collegiate games. You have watched one. Gives us some more time to assess and stay away from god awful talking heads shows that are there for hype.

I don't hate the Blake Griffin comparison though.

I have watched all 5 of his games. They look like old and1 mix tape videos

That's a LOT of weed. @KisteK
PepperyGlaringAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif

Preston's livin the life.

l-i-v-i-n

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Well, Zion has continued being an absolute beast. Totally fun to watch, I'd assume, even for folks who just enjoy basketball. A few highlights from the St. Johns game...

He is just a ferocious defender... averaging 2 steals and 2 blocks a game. His PER rating is off the charts... he currently sits at a 43.46, first all-time in the history of the stat. Second place is 36.93, a difference of over 6.5. Note that a difference of 6.5 is the difference between the current most efficient player of all time and the 82nd most efficient player of all time. Still hesitant to dub him some sure-fire NBA All-Star, but he is fun as hell to watch, and seems better than anyone anticipated.

Last edited:
Averaging nearly 70% shooting (86% two pointers) and scores 22 points a game. As good as Barrett will be in the NBA, I am taking Zion at number one.

Reactions: tw3301
Averaging nearly 70% shooting (86% two pointers) and scores 22 points a game. As good as Barrett will be in the NBA, I am taking Zion at number one.

I don't know how you DON'T take him at #1? I guess you could take the stance that his offense won't translate as well against bigger, more athletic guys, whereas RJs might... but that seems like a stretch, especially since it was the same argument when he came into college.

I'll be VERY curious what the conversation is like at the end of the season about where Zion fits in among the best college basketball players of the last few decades. As of right now I have to imagine that he compares pretty positively to just about everyone? Say what you want about Kevin Durant, the guy shot 50% from 2 in college, a full 25% lower than Zion. Some people will insist that, if Duke doesnt win a title or if Zion doesn't win a particular award, you cannot compare, but most sensible people know that isn't the case... I mean, it isn't like Steph Curry can't be discussed as an all-time college great because his team didn't win a title, and nobody would argue that Jimmer Fredette or Trey Burke (who both won NPOY) were better than Grant Hill, who didn't.

I don't know how you DON'T take him at #1? I guess you could take the stance that his offense won't translate as well against bigger, more athletic guys, whereas RJs might... but that seems like a stretch, especially since it was the same argument when he came into college.

I'll be VERY curious what the conversation is like at the end of the season about where Zion fits in among the best college basketball players of the last few decades. As of right now I have to imagine that he compares pretty positively to just about everyone? Say what you want about Kevin Durant, the guy shot 50% from 2 in college, a full 25% lower than Zion. Some people will insist that, if Duke doesnt win a title or if Zion doesn't win a particular award, you cannot compare, but most sensible people know that isn't the case... I mean, it isn't like Steph Curry can't be discussed as an all-time college great because his team didn't win a title, and nobody would argue that Jimmer Fredette or Trey Burke (who both won NPOY) were better than Grant Hill, who didn't.
Davis swept all the awards (including defensive), Won a title, Set a record with 38 wins in a season and went #1 in the draft. Good luck on beating all of that. :D

oh , and Home board.

Davis swept all the awards (including defensive), Won a title, Set a record with 38 wins in a season and went #1 in the draft. Good luck on beating all of that. :D

oh , and Home board.

Yeah... having a 7'6 wingspan is good, nobody denies that:) Zion might not beat those arbitrary awards, but he might end up with better stats in every single category except blocks.

And if you think Zion is a home board topic and not THE national topic of college basketball this season... I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah... having a 7'6 wingspan is good, nobody denies that:) Zion might not beat those arbitrary awards, but he might end up with better stats in every single category except blocks.

And if you think Zion is a home board topic and not THE national topic of college basketball this season... I don't know what to tell you.
Stats are nice. RollLaugh

Davis wasn't relied on as much as Zion is, he took the 4th or 5th most shots on the team that year. But anyway, good for Zion and his stats.

Stats are nice. RollLaugh

Davis wasn't relied on as much as Zion is, he took the 4th or 5th most shots on the team that year. But anyway, good for Zion and his stats.
Zion would posterize AD then take a shit on his chest. SmokinSmile

Love AD, but that video is hella weird. Some JC for 3 type ish that he does to kl (ikc)

Where does he walk? Guys who post this, probably should know the rules; NOT YOU Lurker. The dude who made the video.
I guess I need help with the rules. He picked the dribble up, took three steps. What am I missing?

And damn, Zion. Two blown dunks. Get it together. Haha. In the words of the brilliant Jay Bilas, sometimes a missed dunk is more impressive than a made dunk.

I guess I need help with the rules. He picked the dribble up, took three steps. What am I missing?

And damn, Zion. Two blown dunks. Get it together. Haha. In the words of the brilliant Jay Bilas, sometimes a missed dunk is more impressive than a made dunk.
Its on the gather....Dribble is considered ended when player begans a motion to "gather the ball".IMO,he does this @ 2 seconds of the video.Which he then takes his allowed two steps. JMO,of course.... Seems he dribbles from his left., to his right hand, then starts to gather the ball. Three steps are involved, but one, IMO,. is,made before he starts to gather the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT