ADVERTISEMENT

Zion ain’t got nothing on Dunk Nation

Not all reasons are excuses. Sometimes, they're just reasons. It's too easy and too lazy to just chalk it up to bad defense. And if you are acknowledging that it was a good draw up, then it should be assumed that you acknowledge why the defense failed..

Where did I “just” chalk it up to bad defense?

Listening to UK fans during preseason, you'd think Zion was in the same shape as the guy holding that sign.

image.png
That's all UL fans. No need to bring UK fans into that mess. Laughing

Ehh. You talked the talk. Got the numbers to back it up?

No. Mostly cuz I was being hyperbolic

Edit: 297 dunks in a 135 game career. Only played about 17mpg as a freshman. Was probably in the ballpark of 90 dunks in his most dunktastic season.

Last edited:
Reactions: GE Nole
Man, I gotta say...I really wish Zion had played the whole game against FSU. We have guys who can bang with him. And his three point shooting--well it's a work in progress. I'd have been more than content to force him out of the paint and let him shoot threes much of the second half.

Instead, with him out, it forced Reddish to go into the locker room and put on his super man cape and start raining threes from all over the court. It's weird to say this, because Zion is so darned good, but in that specific instance I think him sitting helped y'all.

Duke shot nearly 50% from three in that game and only won by 2. I'll take that. Compare that to the other scores when Duke shot 45+% in a high volume from 3.
This year, more than any I have been a fan of Duke, the 3 point number is not really a major concern IMO. This team can win whichever way they have to. They’ve had some head scratching my miserable shooting nights and blown teams out. It’s very different for a team that still shoots a decent amount of 3 pointers. Of course timeliness and Zion being out there makes a difference.

Cam Reddish has some clutch in his game. He is starting to hit his stride a bit lately too.

FSU does have the bodies to get after Zion. A few teams have this year. Louisville had him rattled at times like I haven’t seen until that point.

Reactions: GE Nole and tw3301
Just don’t have an opinion either way. I thought Michigan was better last year and I think they are better again this year. Wouldn’t be scared to play you.

I’d agree that Michigan was ever so slightly better last year. Unsure on this year.

This year, more than any I have been a fan of Duke, the 3 point number is not really a major concern IMO. This team can win whichever way they have to. They’ve had some head scratching my miserable shooting nights and blown teams out. It’s very different for a team that still shoots a decent amount of 3 pointers. Of course timeliness and Zion being out there makes a difference.

Cam Reddish has some clutch in his game. He is starting to hit his stride a bit lately too.

FSU does have the bodies to get after Zion. A few teams have this year. Louisville had him rattled at times like I haven’t seen until that point.

No doubt Duke can win a variety of ways. I guess that was sort of my point. Duke doesn’t even need the three, so when they’ve shot extremely well from 3 (Kentucky, San Diego State, second UVA game) they’ve basically been unbeatable.

So considering Duke was 11-25 from three against FSU—and still only won by 2 at the buzzer—I’d say I feel pretty solid about our chances against most teams.

Reactions: denniden
I’d agree that Michigan was ever so slightly better last year. Unsure on this year.

Michigan went 33-8 against the #18 strength of schedule and finished as the #7 team on Kenpom.
Florida State went 23-12 against the #36 strength of schedule and finished as the #27 team on Kenpom.

Ever so slightly? Okay, sure.

No doubt Duke can win a variety of ways. I guess that was sort of my point. Duke doesn’t even need the three, so when they’ve shot extremely well from 3 (Kentucky, San Diego State, second UVA game) they’ve basically been unbeatable.

So considering Duke was 11-25 from three against FSU—and still only won by 2 at the buzzer—I’d say I feel pretty solid about our chances against most teams.
What happened when FSU lost to Pitt and BC? Were starters injured or something?

Michigan went 33-8 against the #18 strength of schedule and finished as the #7 team on Kenpom.
Florida State went 23-12 against the #36 strength of schedule and finished as the #27 team on Kenpom.

Ever so slightly? Okay, sure.

Teams have injuries during the season that impact their play for stretches. They mature and develop as the year goes on.

FSU beat 4 EOY top 15 teams on KenPom. Michigan beat 3 EOY top 15 teams on KenPom. See how fun isolated stats are?

What happened when FSU lost to Pitt and BC? Were starters injured or something?

Yes, starters were hurt. Mann had a heel he hurt and was limited, Phil Cofer didn’t play BC, MJ Walker had a knee. (FWIW, Trent Forrest has been hurt since December, including the Duke game. Bad bad toe injury. But it’s gonna require surgery and he’s playing through it until after the season. Has really limited his explosiveness...).

But more than injuries, the Pitt game was a schedule loss. 40 hours after that brutally physical and emotional game against Duke. You’ll remember y’all lost that same day, at home no less. Also, it was a game where the refs refused to let the teams play basketball. Pitt took as many FTs and FGs. Yes you read that right, a 100% FT rate. That McGowan kid took 19 FTs I believe, more than any FSU opponent player since KenPom started. Another Pitt player took like 15.

BC, despite Cofer being out, was just a failure on our part. We led by 15. Then Ky Bowman and Jordan Chatman got white hot and we had already taken our foot off the gas. Lesson learned.

Yes, starters were hurt. Mann had a heel he hurt and was limited, Phil Cofer didn’t play BC, MJ Walker had a knee. (FWIW, Trent Forrest has been hurt since December, including the Duke game. Bad bad toe injury. But it’s gonna require surgery and he’s playing through it until after the season. Has really limited his explosiveness...).

But more than injuries, the Pitt game was a schedule loss. 40 hours after that brutally physical and emotional game against Duke. You’ll remember y’all lost that same day, at home no less. Also, it was a game where the refs refused to let the teams play basketball. Pitt took as many FTs and FGs. Yes you read that right, a 100% FT rate. That McGowan kid took 19 FTs I believe, more than any FSU opponent player since KenPom started. Another Pitt player took like 15.

BC, despite Cofer being out, was just a failure on our part. We led by 15. Then Ky Bowman and Jordan Chatman got white hot and we had already taken our foot off the gas. Lesson learned.
Yeah I was just curious how that happened.

Teams have injuries during the season that impact their play for stretches. They mature and develop as the year goes on.

As far as I know, Bartovik is the only metric out there that lets you sort by time periods to see how teams were playing at the end of the year.

November 1st to end of season:
Michigan 9th
Florida St. 26th

January 1st to end of season:
Michigan 5th
Florida St. 44th

February 1st to end of season
Michigan 2nd
Florida St. 53rd

March 1st to end of season
Michigan 2nd
Florida St. 22nd

Last edited:
As far as I know, Bartovik is the only metric out there that lets you sort by time periods to see how teams were playing at the end of the year.

November 1st to end of season:
Michigan 9th
Florida St. 26th

January 1st to end of season:
Michigan 5th
Florida St. 44th

February 1st to end of season
Michigan 2nd
Florida St. 53rd

March 1st to end of season
Michigan 2nd
Florida St. 22nd

That would make sense. Had a TON of injuries in mid-January through mid-February.

That would make sense. Had a TON of injuries in mid-January through mid-February.

Michigan looked like a bubble team in November and December and then played out of their minds the final couple months. You guys probably beat us if we played early but at the end of the season Michigan was as good as anyone outside Nova.

When giving reasons/excuses for why FSU lost to Pitt and BC after losing to Duke you brought up injuries then you bring up Duke’s loss to Syracuse at home but don’t mention the fact that Duke was without Cam Reddish for the entire game and Tre Jones for 35 minutes of the game and we only lost by 4 in overtime plus the fact that Syracuse made a miracle 3/4 court 3 at the end of the first half that likely had a big impact on the outcome of the game because if that shot doesn’t go in then Duke possibly wins that game in regulation.

When giving reasons/excuses for why FSU lost to Pitt and BC after losing to Duke you brought up injuries then you bring up Duke’s loss to Syracuse at home but don’t mention the fact that Duke was without Cam Reddish for the entire game and Tre Jones for 35 minutes of the game and we only lost by 4 in overtime plus the fact that Syracuse made a miracle 3/4 court 3 at the end of the first half that likely had a big impact on the outcome of the game because if that shot doesn’t go in then Duke possibly wins that game in regulation.

It wasn’t an explanation of why Duke lost. It was an explanation of why FSU lost.

Both teams were obviously beat up and exhausted mentally and physically following their battle. Both teams had to play like 45 hours later. Both teams lost to teams they are far superior to, FSU to a terrible Pitt team on the road, Duke to an okay Cuse team at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT