ADVERTISEMENT

Your Team's Report Card after Game 1

BasketBallJunkie-UK

Nov 18, 2011
UK - A
- Largest scoring margin since 2011
- Wallace in his 1st game almost became only the 3rd UK player with a triple double
- Reeves broke a player's 1st game 3 pt shots made. Broke the old record of 3 3's made by making 6-12
- CJ Frederick is better than advertised. He has a complete game. Everyone knows he's a shooter, but also drives, passes and plays excellent defense.
- Reeves and CJ combo much better than Mintz and Grady from last year.
- I don't think any player had a bad game.
- Played the game with 8 scholarship players, without the POY, Cousy Runner-up and a 20+ minutes a game player.
- Oyenso has gone from being a redshirt to a guy that Cal is going to find time for. 4 blocks, several altered shots, 2-3 shooting, 4 rebs and 1 assist in 20 min. Runs the floor well.
- Reworked offense. more modern than before.

A+ games are on their way. Weakness - 3pt defense needs work.

After 1 game.......
WoW

I'll play along.

"Z"

Best player out of shape, benched after 16 minutes of putrid play.

Coach didnt bring in another point guard. Has been working on conditioning, however the team is woefully out of shape.

Won 13 games last season.
Will win between 6 and 10 barring a miraculous turnaround.

After 1.5 games Harris/McCullar is going to be unfair for opponents on defense. These 2 are just so good on defense. If Udeh becomes a rim protector KU may end up having the best defense in the country.

UK - A
- Wallace in his 1st game almost became only the 3rd UK player with a triple double
- Reeves broke a player's 1st game 3 pt shots made. Broke the old record of 3 3's made by making 6-12
- CJ Frederick is better than advertised. He has a complete game. Everyone knows he's a shooter, but also drives, passes and plays excellent defense.
- Played the game with 8 scholarship players, without the POY, Cousy Runner-up and a 20+ minutes a game player.
- Oyenso has gone from being a redshirt to a guy that Cal is going to find time for. 4 blocks, several altered shots, 2-3 shooting, 4 rebs and 1 assist in 20 min. Runs the floor well.

It's nowhere close to the largest scoring margin since 2011. They've beaten plenty of teams worse than that since then. Did you mean largest scoring margin in the first game of the season since 2011? Also wrong. They beat Morehead State by 36 in 2020-21. Maybe you meant most points they've scored in a season opener since 2011?

There are already 3 players with triple-doubles: Mills, Fox, and Briscoe. Wallace was 1 assist and 2 boards shy of being the 4th.

Reactions: BasketBallJunkie-UK
UNC-D

The defense was solid but they were bothered by the pressure a lot. Wilmington slowed it down a bit and that kept scoring low but being outrebounded, shooting 20% from three, and just looking average throws shades of some of the same issues from last year. Not really a great opening game for a team with so many expectations.

It's nowhere close to the largest scoring margin since 2011. They've beaten plenty of teams worse than that since then. Did you mean largest scoring margin in the first game of the season since 2011? Also wrong. They beat Morehead State by 36 in 2020-21. Maybe you meant most points they've scored in a season opener since 2011?

There are already 3 players with triple-doubles: Mills, Fox, and Briscoe. Wallace was 1 assist and 2 boards shy of being the 4th.
I forgot about Mills... Yes in the opener. Cal has a problem with toning down Wheeler's shooting. Wallace is better. Its been hinted that Wheelers role is changing. We've got too many scorers with Wheeler shooting as much as he does.

We played Tn Tech which was outmanned. I can't grade when the test isn't really a test.
You could.. I didn't ask if it was test. We know most season openers are not, But looking at the box score, UT's offense stunk it up but the defense was very good.

After two games...

1. IU is pretty deep.
2. Reneau/JHS are really good for frehsman
3. Shooting seems to have improved: 33-43 FT's/14-34 3P
4. Defense seems better, but then again its Morehead State/Bethune-Cookman

I think depth will be IU's biggest strength. Just don't have that massive drop when guys like Race/TJD go to the bench.

Get a much better feel next Friday, @ Xavier.

You could.. I didn't ask if it was test. We know most season openers are not, But looking at the box score, UT's offense stunk it up but the defense was very good.
We beat our opening opponent by the same spread as y'all did. How did you rate UK's opener?

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Tennessee Tech covered the spread, if that's what you're trying to say. ;)
I'm saying Junkie calls UK's performance an A for eating a cupcake. I don't think you can give a grade if there is no resistance.

Well we lost to the number two team by 1 point. But weird game on air craft carrier and we should have won. D~

Ugh that final play frustrated me. Took so long to run any action. Then didn’t even look like you were running a set but instead trying to get 1v1 for Walker who isn’t really that good 1v1. If not going to run a set then that final play should have been Hoggard trying to get into the lane to score, kick, or draw a foul.

Weird game because it seemed like Few was basically playing the first half with the intention of making players other than Timme make plays for the Zags. When Zags got down 12 it seemed like Few said “ok Timme that’s enough. We’re not gonna lose this” and then Zags ran everything through Timme and MSU didn’t have an answer. Zags better get someone other than Timme to step up or they’ll have another disappointing March after spending 3 months winning with ease in the WCC.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Incomplete for me- both games on Big Ten Plus so far, couldn't see, but will watch the game Tuesday..

UK - A

yawn...

UK - A

controlling-laugh-laughing.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT