ADVERTISEMENT

Your LEAST Favorite Coach In Your Program's History?

There’s a guy I know here in Midland who is an old redneck that smokes Marlboro Reds and will only drink Coors Lite. He lives in a trailer outside of town. I go over there 2-3 times a year with another buddy and get afternoon drunk. His place is PERFECT for domestic beer pounding.
I've moved around when I was younger and found some like that guy everywhere I went. Had some very weird but fun times with those guys.

One non alcoholic story. Early 20's I moved into a studio apartment in Columbus next to a Vietnam vet who wasn't taken care of when he got back to the states. The guy was completely 100% sober, but 100% balls to the wall busy(mentally).

When I found a better place to move, i asked him if he'd help and I'd give him money. Trying to help and all. We loaded up the moving van and started down the road to my new place. He gets freaked out and decides to open the door and jumps out. I'm freaking out. I pull over, get out and go back and he was afraid i was going to take him somewhere and not bring him back.

When we turned around and got him back home everything was great.

Iknow I went off topic a bit, but where I was a poor and moved around so much when I was younger, I met a lot of interesting people. I think that's why I like this board so much.

Last edited:
Jerry Green. It’s no wonder that he hasn’t headed a D1 program since.

I give Wade Houston a break since he brought Allan (his son) with him.

Ray Meyer! DePaul Hoops may not have any history or fame at all if it wasn't for him.

And yet he was still an absolutely horrible coach.

Here's a trivia question for you. Name the only coach in NCAA history to lose in the first round of the tournament despite being the #1 overall seed? Ray Meyer managed to pull that feat off not once but twice in the 80s. Once to Boston College and once to St. Joseph's.

As a Spartan fan I have only been alive for Heathcote and Izzo, so no complaints from me. Both delivered natty's so all is good.

And yet he was still an absolutely horrible coach.

Here's a trivia question for you. Name the only coach in NCAA history to lose in the first round of the tournament despite being the #1 overall seed? Ray Meyer managed to pull that feat off not once but twice in the 80s. Once to Boston College and once to St. Joseph's.
It wasnt first round either time that never happened until last yr

It wasnt first round either time that never happened until last yr

yes it was. Last year was the first time a #1 lost to a #16. before the tournament expanded to 64 teams there were only 48 teams. Twice during that era DePaul took the #1 overall seed into the tournament and lost their opening game, once to St. Joseph's and once to Boston College.

Only team in history to do that twice. Virginia has nothing on us.

Reactions: jhmossy and herrli
There’s a guy I know here in Midland who is an old redneck that smokes Marlboro Reds and will only drink Coors Lite. He lives in a trailer outside of town. I go over there 2-3 times a year with another buddy and get afternoon drunk. His place is PERFECT for domestic beer pounding.

I have one of those friends..

Tough call between the 2 drunks - Billy Clyde and Drunk Eddie. Clyde was a bigger disaster on the court but was can in 2 years thereby doing much less long term damage. Drunk Eddie brought probation and Kentucky Shame.

Both of their disasters led to legendary hires thereafter (Pitino and Cal).

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Code:
I bet Person
Pitino the person or Pitino the coach?
Both, had some great moments at U of L, but was negligent enough to let a moron assistant do whatever he wanted, and ultimately get the university and program in trouble for something so dumb.

Both, had some great moments at U of L, but was negligent enough to let a moron assistant do whatever he wanted, and ultimately get the university and program in trouble for something so dumb.
I think he had free reign, no leash with Tom J. Together they were poison, but singularly, they were near tops in their profession. Egos won out.
As good as Mack coached this team, Pitino would have 4 less losses imo

Gillispie was a shit show on and off the court. Partying at nightclubs, to hitting on players girlfriends, to player abuse, to horrible losses on the court.

He had no business coaching at a place like UK.

edit: forgot smarting off to Tom Leach for asking simple questions.
It is easy:

Gillispie. The worst drunk since Eddie Sutton.

Plus I am throwing in Bert and Lurker.RollLaugh

I've moved around when I was younger and found some like that guy everywhere I went. Had some very weird but fun times with those guys.

One non alcoholic story. Early 20's I moved into a studio apartment in Columbus next to a Vietnam vet who wasn't taken care of when he got back to the states. The guy was completely 100% sober, but 100% balls to the wall busy(mentally).

When I found a better place to move, i asked him if he'd help and I'd give him money. Trying to help and all. We loaded up the moving van and started down the road to my new place. He gets freaked out and decides to open the door and jumps out. I'm freaking out. I pull over, get out and go back and he was afraid i was going to take him somewhere and not bring him back.

When we turned around and got him back home everything was great.

Iknow I went off topic a bit, but where I was a poor and moved around so much when I was younger, I met a lot of interesting people. I think that's why I like this board so much.
Lurker, you are not supposed to tell folks about me! SmokinSmileEyeroll

11654392.jpg

jumpingsmile. Cue the people starting in on the Duke/nouveau riche/return to anonymity when K leaves theory in 3 . . .2 . . .

Hey, pre-K we were still better than 95 percent of schools out there. Cameron, Bubas, Foster... we had some good ones.

And when Brad Stevens comes in, we’ll be just fine.

But unless you are older, your least favorite Duke coach is the same as your favorite Duke coach:)

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I think he had free reign, no leash with Tom J. Together they were poison, but singularly, they were near tops in their profession. Egos won out.
As good as Mack coached this team, Pitino would have 4 less losses imo
Agree with the first part, second part idk, maybe one or two less losses but it’s debatable. Pitino was stuck in his ways, and the game seemed to be passing him by with rule changes, etc. I don’t think we win by 20+ on UNCs homecourt, or beat Michigan State. However, the Duke collapse might have been different with Pitino on the sidelines instead of Mack, but there’s no way to tell. Regardless I’m ecstatic with what Mack has done with this team, we have some talent, but for the most part, our backcourt is taped together with grad transfers who are pretty average. He’s overachieved most definitely in his first season. Some really quality wins.

Kelvin Sampson by 10000000000000000000000000

Edit: followed by Dan Dakich

Looks like we have something in common. I vote Billie Gillespie for Texas Tech also lol. At least in recent memory, he was the worst. Honorable mention goes to Pat Knight.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
That's easy. Mel Taube. Who's Mel Taube you ask? This is before John Wooden went to UCLA:

Wooden's alma mater, Purdue University, asked him to return to campus and serve as an assistant to then-head coach Mel Taube until Taube's contract expired, when Wooden would take over the program. Citing his loyalty to Taube, Wooden declined the offer, because this would have effectively made Taube a lame-duck coach.

Damn Schooner, I didn't know we were neighbors. How long have you lived in Midland?

Reactions: schoonerwest
Lappas... no question. Kraft, Massimino and Wright all at least made it to the final game.. Lappas had Kerry Kittles and an incredibly talented team but didn't get it done.

Born and raised in Big Spring. Lived around these parts most my life. Are you out here for work?

yes it was. Last year was the first time a #1 lost to a #16. before the tournament expanded to 64 teams there were only 48 teams. Twice during that era DePaul took the #1 overall seed into the tournament and lost their opening game, once to St. Joseph's and once to Boston College.

Only team in history to do that twice. Virginia has nothing on us.
How long have you been a fan of DePaul? I’ve a buddy that played for Kennedy.

Born and raised in Big Spring. Lived around these parts most my life. Are you out here for work?
Yes I work in the land business. Independent Landman. Been doing this since 2005, just figured I’d move to where the action is.

I actually do a lot of work out of Howard County. I know it well.

ADVERTISEMENT