ADVERTISEMENT

You just have to laugh at the ACC

Quite the fall the conference has taken. Naturally when Louisville and Carolina aren't good, it will take a pretty big hit. It just so happens everyone but Duke is crap this year, although FSU had a really nice game last night. Maybe they can make some noise.

Reactions: nole96
Yea im sitting here trying to figure out who the top two teams even are at this point. If its Instate gotta be miami and fsu

Reactions: nole96
Quite the fall the conference has taken. Naturally when Louisville and Carolina aren't good, it will take a pretty big hit. It just so happens everyone but Duke is crap this year, although FSU had a really nice game last night. Maybe they can make some noise.
To be fair, cuse fell off first 🤣

Idk how its even possible to project anything thats going to happen next year with these new batshit transfer portal rules. Seems like every team has 3-4 players transfer in and out every single season.
Yeah, free agency definitely took priority over high school recruiting for a lot of programs. Can't say I blame them. I don't know any coach that doesn't prefer proven, experienced players the majority of the time. Works both ways though. You can lose them just as fast as you bring them in. With no more 1-year wait these dudes are no longer hesitant to pull the trigger for what they think will be greener pastures.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Time for Duke to join the crowd of multiple coaches winning titles. Right now, they're a one hit wonder.
Trust me, every Duke fan is hoping Coach K takes an indefinite leave of absence after faking a back injury.

His in game coaching, lineups and timeout management have been especially bad this year.

Jon Scheyer, our coach in waiting, is a fvcking stud and will dominate this crappy conference for years to come.

FSU’s schedule has had it listed on ESPN for at least a week. Not sure what you were looking at earlier, OP, but probably just a mistake on ESPN’s side.

Wow, I hadn't even looked at the ACC in a bit. Currently, only Duke has a top 30 KenPom rating? The 2nd best KenPom rating is currently 1-4 in the ACC Va Tech at 31? Yikes.

If you go by the KenPom rankings, top 4 in the WCC beat the top 4 in the ACC. All four spots, no less.

WCC
1. Gonzaga
25. BYU
34. Saint Mary's
36. San Francisco

ACC
11. Duke
31. Virginia Tech
37. North Carolina
41. Wake Forest

If you go by the KenPom rankings, top 4 in the WCC beat the top 4 in the ACC. All four spots, no less.

WCC
1. Gonzaga
25. BYU
34. Saint Mary's
36. San Francisco

ACC
11. Duke
31. Virginia Tech
37. North Carolina
41. Wake Forest

And what’s crazy is that the 1st and 2nd place teams in the ACC aren’t anywhere near the top 40 on KenPom.

Reactions: dukedevilz
This Saturday you have ACC #1 vs #2, and the game isn't even televised. Not on ACCN, not on ACCN+, not even on the app.

goes in cycles….ACC down now but has been the king for a long time with the old big east until recently. big 12 top dog last couple years and sec pac and b10 climbing.

ACC Will prob eventually be king again.

And what’s crazy is that the 1st and 2nd place teams in the ACC aren’t anywhere near the top 40 on KenPom.

Feel like Miami would be a top 40 team if you take out the first 7 games of the season. FSU's probably at least top 50 since January.

But yes, overall, ACC is trending downwards. Doesn't feel like it's changing anytime soon.

Feel like Miami would be a top 40 team if you take out the first 7 games of the season. FSU's probably at least top 50 since January.

But yes, overall, ACC is trending downwards. Doesn't feel like it's changing anytime soon.

You don’t think the huge talent influx next season will bring ACC back up? Duke should be outstanding. UVA has a great class. UNC is bringing in some talent. Miami should be darn good if Wong returns.

And FSU might return Cleveland, Butler, Warley, Fletcher, Mills, and bring in a diverse class with lots of talent and length.

You don’t think the huge talent influx next season will bring ACC back up? Duke should be outstanding. UVA has a great class. UNC is bringing in some talent. Miami should be darn good if Wong returns.

And FSU might return Cleveland, Butler, Warley, Fletcher, Mills, and bring in a diverse class with lots of talent and length.

ACC should be better, yes. Just overall, doesn't seem like we're going to be anywhere near being a top two or three conference. I don't see the Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC stranglehold over the top 3 conferences breaking up next season.

Beyond K, I imagine Hamilton, Boeheim, Larranaga, and Brey are all retiring relatively soon That can often be a rough transition. UVA had some great teams between 2014-2019, but we haven't really seen an elite team since. I wonder how effective Hubert Davis will be as a coach. He already has as many 17+ point losses as Roy had with that awful 2020 team.

Wake and VT look to be programs on the rise (in spite of VT slumping). But, you wonder if they can consistently haul in 4-star recruits before they morph into a ho-hum team again. Really need to get Syracuse and Louisville back to being nationally prominent. If we could get 5+ teams in the top 30, I'd feel a lot better about our conference.

Reactions: GE Nole
Here's one more sad ACC-WCC comparison. This time, focusing on the top-rated NET teams from each conference.

Gonzaga plays 16 conference games.
Currently, 5 of those games would be Quad 1 contests (31.25%)

Duke plays 20 conference games.
Currently, 4 of those games would be Quad 1 contests (20%)

Gonzaga has more Quad 1 opportunities with 4 less conference games.

Syracuse UNC and Louisville are all underperforming their standard by a massive margin, with no immediate recovery in sight. This is the league's problem right now. For the league to return to some level of respectability it needs 2 of the 3 to turn it around in the next couple of years.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Agree about underperformance from the traditional elite. Especially UL. No reason for them not to be top 30 on KenPom. They have talent, ridiculous resources, and a basketball crazy state.

Teams better be willing to spend to compete going forward. The SEC is going to thrive in the NLI era

Agree about underperformance from the traditional elite. Especially UL. No reason for them not to be top 30 on KenPom. They have talent, ridiculous resources, and a basketball crazy state.
You guys did your job. You sustained a quality product under Ham. I'd even argue if the underperforming traditional powers were where they need to be y'all could even be better for it even if you picked up an extra loss or two each year.

Reactions: GE Nole
UL has questionable talent at best. Dont see a single plauer on the roster that will sniff anymore than the dleague imo. Well hard to guage the ellis and some of the youngsters, but still.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT