ADVERTISEMENT

Yearly NCAA Proposed Changes

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Shorting the shot clock.

The committee recommended resetting the shot clock at 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.

The proposal was made to enhance the pace of the game. The committee decided a full 30-second shot clock is not needed because the offensive team is already in the front court after securing the rebound.

Extending the 3 point line to international distance.

The committee cited the following rationale for extending the line:

• Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.
  • Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.
  • Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.

Other proposals

• The committee recommended players be assessed a Flagrant 2 technical foul and ejected should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
  • The committee recommended allowing coaches to call live-ball timeouts in the last two-minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Currently, coaches aren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.
  • The committee recommended that during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made. :)

UVA wins the national championship by playing the 2nd slowest pace in the country and being the 8th best 3 point shooting team in the country

NCAA: SHORTEN THE SHOT CLOCK AND PUT THE 3 POINT LINE BACK EVEN FURTHER!!!

• The committee recommended that during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made. :)

That is hilarious.

I support all of those mentioned. Any nudges towards NBA flow are welcome in my book.

Disappointed to not see any block/charge guidance though.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Shorting the shot clock.

The committee recommended resetting the shot clock at 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.

The proposal was made to enhance the pace of the game. The committee decided a full 30-second shot clock is not needed because the offensive team is already in the front court after securing the rebound.

Extending the 3 point line to international distance.

The committee cited the following rationale for extending the line:

• Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.
  • Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.
  • Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.

Other proposals

• The committee recommended players be assessed a Flagrant 2 technical foul and ejected should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
  • The committee recommended allowing coaches to call live-ball timeouts in the last two-minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Currently, coaches aren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.
"IF" a call has been made.

That is hilarious.

I support all of those mentioned. Any nudges towards NBA flow are welcome in my book.

Disappointed to not see any block/charge guidance though.
Key word(s); "IF"a call has been made.

Shorting the shot clock.

I was pretty much ripped on here for making the same suggestion a few months ago.

"IF" a call has been made.
I have faith in refs to make the right call....if they see it.

That's what's so aggravating about some calls (UK or other teams, I watch a lot of games), the refs just miss it. They're not looking, unqualified or whatever, but when you see gifs and screenshots of refs looking right at the missed call. It's telling. Some refs are either incompetent, biased, or on the take.

Reviews are not only to get it right, but to see which refs missed the call.

With all that said, it's ok to point out refs flaws. It's part of the human condition.

HS, NCAA, NBA it goes so fast and there's clearly a lot of pressure to put on these imperfect beings. They are going to mess up and miss calls. A lot. but with replay, it should help to get it right. Sure it takes up time, but who cares as long as we get a proper outcome.

We all want to see the best team win and not lose due to some refs flaws.

With all that said, it's ok to point out refs flaws. It's part of the human condition.

HS, NCAA, NBA it goes so fast and there's clearly a lot of pressure to put on these imperfect beings. They are going to mess up and miss calls. A lot. but with replay, it should help to get it right. Sure it takes up time, but who cares as long as we get a proper outcome.

We all want to see the best team win and not lose due to some refs flaws.
I would like to see the video timeouts limited to one minute. Hell the refs love to stretch it out to five minutes. That way they get a lot of TV time.

I would like to see the video timeouts limited to one minute. Hell the refs love to stretch it out to five minutes. That way they get a lot of TV time.
Every commentator, color or otherwise, agrees with you.

There's been so many games, where Bilas, Vitale, and the likes, just pleaded, on air, to continue the game.

On reviews the players should stay on the floor and not communicate with the coaches. The reviews should be extra timeouts for coaching.

Did someone hurt your feelings? So sorry. Hope you can recover.

Tell me again how LSU is gonna fire Wade and how the NCAA is gonna hit LSU with all sorts of sanctions. That was a cool story.

ADVERTISEMENT