ADVERTISEMENT

Would Carolina Fans Give Up

Yeah, but not all victories over rivals are the same. Beating a legendary rival coach on his last home game and then again in the tourney are priceless. You can only have one shot at that, you have the opportunity to win a title every year.

We want the title first and foremost. Beating a rival on the way is good but I guess most fans/schools don't think that way because the lack of success they've had. In this case with k retiring it was good, had UNC won the title that would of been great. Since that didn't happen we have that to fall back on.

Yeah, but not all victories over rivals are the same. Beating a legendary rival coach on his last home game and then again in the tourney are priceless. You can only have one shot at that, you have the opportunity to win a title every year.
You never know when your next opportunity to win a title will be. Or if there will be one. Beating K the way they did this year is a special memory that won't mean a damn thing in the record books. Like I said, it isn't about them not being happy, it's about what they value most. If they value simple victories over championships, that's their choice. But most people would trade those wins for a championship. Especially when the concensus was that Duke was supposed to be the better team.

Reactions: bignish
You never know when your next opportunity to win a title will be. Or if there will be one. Beating K the way they did this year is a special memory that won't mean a damn thing in the record books. Like I said, it isn't about them not being happy, it's about what they value most. If they value simple victories over championships, that's their choice. But most people would trade those wins for a championship. Especially when the concensus was that Duke was supposed to be the better team.
Your next opportunity to win a title is the start of every season. You only have one chance to beat your arch rival on his farewell tour.
You can have your opinion on which you think is more desired, but I don't think you're qualified to speak for most people.

Reactions: 829305
Your next opportunity to win a title is the start of every season. You only have one chance to beat your arch rival on his farewell tour.
You can have your opinion on which you think is more desired, but I don't think you're qualified to speak for most people.
You're right. William and Mary has the same opportunity as Duke does at the beginning of next season. Lol. Two teams have an opportunity each year. This year unc had the opportunity and didn't get it. They had one of the most epic non championship seasons, no doubt. But (yes it is my opinion and I don't speak for most people) if they are happy settling for just beating K on his farewell tour when they had an opportunity to win the only thing that really matters to a program like unc, than they are pretty silly.

And btw, though I don't speak for most people. Most people ITT agree with me. So there's that.

You're right.

And btw, though I don't speak for most people. Most people ITT agree with me. So there's that.
Your reply started out with such promise and then you lost it by speaking for others right after you said you do would not do that.

Your reply started out with such promise and then you lost it by speaking for others right after you said you do would not do that.
I never spoke for others. Don't be like the Auburn football fan.

I never spoke for others. Don't be like the Auburn football fan.
You said most people agree with you and that is just conjecture.

Let's not be throwing out other fan bases at each other. That would be an escalation and we are just having a friendly chat.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
I'm hoping history can repeat itself.

81- lost the title game to IU
82- won the title game against Georgetown
16- lost the title game to Villanova
17- won the title game against Gonzaga.

I started to include 08 Kansas beating the brakes off UNC in the FF in 08
and winning the title the following year but i didn't.

It's crazy that UNC has played in 3 title games since 2016 but losing 2/3 doesn't sit well with me.

No.

although it softens the pain slightly to know that the Dukies have to cope with losing back to back games to Carolina, one of which knocked them out of the tourney and ended Ks career. The Duke crowd is much more miserable right now than any Carolina fan.

but I would be fine with losing to anyone any time in exchange for a title. In fact, i would get a big kick out of losing 3 games to Duke in one season in exchange for a natty. That would be great.

The cope is real. UNC kicked Duke's ass in their final home game. Then ended his career. If you think that's just a foot note, lmao. Of course winning a title would have been great, but they were a 9 seed for a reason.
Ok great, that might have been our most painful regular season loss and Carolina's greatest regular season win ever. It was embarrassing and it sucked but ultimately it was still a regular season game and Carolina was gelling at the right time.

LMAO @ Carolina being a 8 seed as having any sort of relevancy. They were clearly playing like a top team in the country for the last month but since there aren't any nonconference games once January hit, the whole national media still dismissed them because the narrative was the ACC sucked based on what happened in November and December.

The final version of UNC in the tournament was a top 5 team. They waxed Marquette, were up 25 on Baylor, outdueled UCLA, beat Duke and were up 15 on Kansas before they ran out of gas.

Your point about K's history ain't what you think it is either. During K's run at Duke which will not be done again UNC matched ya'll in titles. So they had 3 different coaches that cut down the nets and essentially match him. What are the odds Scheyer is close to that caliber? I'd say slim.
I never argued that Duke was meaningfully better than UNC over the last 40 years, this was their golden age as well. They had 2 HOF coaches in Dean and Roy who are arguably amongst the top 5 coaches of all time. Duke and UNC have basically dominated college hoops in the K era.

You saw Hubert make the title game as a 1st year coach so not sure why you think Scheyer will struggle with the Duke brand behind him. He has the #1 recruiting class and 3 of the top 5 players lined up coming to Durham. He has to be merely mediocre as a Xs & Os coach and game planner to maintain a great program if he recruits at this level. If he's better than expected at the other aspects of being coach, Duke will still maintain K level of dominance. Scheyer has been the point person for Duke's recruiting classes for the last 5 years so this transition was carefully planned by K.

The media and our own success over 4 decades has turned the Duke brand into a juggernaut so there's little chance of us turning into Indiana and UCLA anytime soon.

Well said, I had this same argument with a Tarheel at a bar in NOLA before the game Saturday and we were with a Nova fan.

The UNC fan was like beating Duke twice is better than the Natty and the Nova fan was just dumbfounded like he just heard the stupidest thing ever said coming out of someone's mouth. He was like "Are ya"ll going to hang a banner for sending K into retirement?"

You don't hang banners for beating a legendary coach in his last home game or last game. That's just an awesome story you use to shut your rival fans up with in the future whenever they talk **** and it ends up being a great moment in the rivalry that strengthens its relevance.

Reactions: GhostOf301
The majority of everyone, including unc fans, agree that a championship means more. I am not speaking for them. But acknowledging that the consensus is clear.

Anyone who is a reasonable person would take a national championship over anything else.

I'm hoping history can repeat itself.

81- lost the title game to IU
82- won the title game against Georgetown
16- lost the title game to Villanova
17- won the title game against Gonzaga.

I started to include 08 Kansas beating the brakes off UNC in the FF in 08
and winning the title the following year but i didn't.

It's crazy that UNC has played in 3 title games since 2016 but losing 2/3 doesn't sit well with me.
Losing 6 out of 10 doesn’t sit well with me either.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Della seems pretty salty lately.

I think she had great expectations.
Why do you say I'm salty? I'm neither a UNC or Kansas fan. I stated before the game that I just hoped for a good game and didn't take sides. I was just saying what I thought to be true.

UNC fans were just glad to make a run in the tourney and they relished beating Duke on K's farewell tour.

Why do you say I'm salty? I'm neither a UNC or Kansas fan. I stated before the game that I just hoped for a good game and didn't take sides. I was just saying what I thought to be true.

UNC fans were just glad to make a run in the tourney and they relished beating Duke on K's farewell tour.

UNC fans aren't never glad to make a run. This year was unique and duke was in the way, it just happened to be k's last game. Make no mistake about it, we're all about winning it and anything short of that isn't good.

UNC fans aren't never glad to make a run. This year was unique and duke was in the way, it just happened to be k's last game. Make no mistake about it, we're all about winning it and anything short of that isn't good.
I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. I saw all the fire Hubert threads and the "just glad to be there threads". I also know that "K" was a thorn. In this year, most UNC fans are satisfied.

I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. I saw all the fire Hubert threads and the "just glad to be there threads". I also know that "K" was a thorn. In this year, most UNC fans are satisfied.
Just yesterday you were whining and accusing me of speaking for other people. Now here you are calling one on the majority of unc fans, a liar and dismissing his words and replacing them with your own. Most unc fans, both ITT and who I personally know would choose the championship. Get over yourself.

Just yesterday you were whining and accusing me of speaking for other people. Now here you are calling one on the majority of unc fans, a liar and dismissing his words and replacing them with your own. Most unc fans, both ITT and who I personally know would choose the championship. Get over yourself.
You did talk for other people, I didn't whine but did point it out.

I said they were satisfied this year. He did not say he wasn't satisfied, so where did I call him a liar?

I must have hit a nerve in our friendly chat for you to reemerge with such vitriol. It wasn't intentional.

Most were satisfied, not all.

Most were satisfied, not all.
Satisfaction has a direct correlation to expectation. Most of the season, I'd say UNC fan expectation was pretty low, so it would seem logical that most Heels were pleased.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Satisfaction has a direct correlation to expectation. Most of the season, I'd say UNC fan expectation was pretty low, so it would seem logical that most Heels were pleased.
Nobody whose team was a few plays away is going to be fully satisfied. Doesn’t matter what expectations were. Many KU fans were expecting an early loss before Martin got healthy and asserted himself. And plenty expected to lose the NC at halftime. Doesn’t mean they would have been satisfied if they’d come up short.

No one was satisfied with losing Monday night. People were happy they made such a great run and acknowledged they exceeded expectations but everyone still feels that lost even though it was several days ago.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Nobody whose team was a few plays away is going to be fully satisfied. Doesn’t matter what expectations were. Many KU fans were expecting an early loss before Martin got healthy and asserted himself. And plenty expected to lose the NC at halftime. Doesn’t mean they would have been satisfied if they’d come up short.
So, you think St Peter's fans weren't satisfied? They didn't get as far as UNC and I would argue they are jazzed. They are somebody, aren't they?

So, you think St Peter's fans weren't satisfied? They didn't get as far as UNC and I would argue they are jazzed. They are somebody, aren't they?
They weren’t a few plays away from a national title. If they had gotten that close and fallen short, no, I don’t think they’d have been satisfied.

They weren’t a few plays away from a national title. If they had gotten that close and fallen short, no, I don’t think they’d have been satisfied.
Well, you are wrong. IMO

So, we are at an impasse.

I wouldn't call it offended, I do hate to see a bunch of misguided souls running around out there though.:confused:
🤣 Why do you have this arrogance?

Used to people telling you what you want to hear?

🤣 Why do you have this arrogance?

Used to people telling you what you want to hear?
I have no arrogance. I just like to joke around. If you were to reread what I type thru that lens you would better understand me.

Example answer from me, would be. "I'm use to telling people what they need to hear".

ADVERTISEMENT