ADVERTISEMENT

Would Carolina Fans Give Up

The title loss sucks but they will ALWAYS have the last word with K. Considering the rivalry that's more important.

Only Carolina fans would choose beating Duke over winning a Natty. JJ Redick was right when he said on First Take that UNC fans are way more obsessed with Duke's program than Duke fans are about UNC's.

The title loss sucks but they will ALWAYS have the last word with K. Considering the rivalry that's more important.
What does that do exactly besides being a cool footnote in the rivalry? K almost has many titles as the entire UNC program by himself. Its not like he drops in the lexicon of coaches just because he lost his last home game to UNC and got beat by them in the tournament.

Better UNC teams never sniffed the natty, that title loss should feel like a gut punch considering they were up 15 at the half.

Reactions: pisgah101
What does that do exactly besides being a cool footnote in the rivalry? K almost has many titles as the entire UNC program by himself. Its not like he drops in the lexicon of coaches just because he lost his last home game to UNC and got beat by them in the tournament.

Better UNC teams never sniffed the natty, that title loss should feel like a gut punch considering they were up 15 at the half.
We are fine. Thanks for your concern though.

No way I would turn down a natty over a win versus a coach! Hell no😂

Reactions: bignish
We are fine. Thanks for your concern though.
If you say so, I would think it would be painful to come all that way just to fall short. Even for blue bloods, you only get this chance every so often.

Older Duke people I know still aren't over the 1999 Finals loss to UConn.

Reactions: Aberdale
If you say so, I would think it would be painful to come all that way just to fall short. Even for blue bloods, you only get this chance every so often.

Older Duke people I know still aren't over the 1999 Finals loss to UConn.
Villanova gutted us. This doesn't. Not even close. This would have just been the cherry. Still amazing even without it.

Yes, UNC is more important to me than Duke. The wins over Duke were great and Duke fans are salty AF and will be for years but a title trumps all.

You gotta go natty there. As said above though, Heels got a pretty damned good consolation prize. It may not getting any better than that actually short of the natty itself.

The cope is real. UNC kicked Duke's ass in their final home game. Then ended his career. If you think that's just a foot note, lmao. Of course winning a title would have been great, but they were a 9 seed for a reason.

Your point about K's history ain't what you think it is either. During K's run at Duke which will not be done again UNC matched ya'll in titles. So they had 3 different coaches that cut down the nets and essentially match him. What are the odds Scheyer is close to that caliber? I'd say slim.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Only Carolina fans would choose beating Duke over winning a Natty. JJ Redick was right when he said on First Take that UNC fans are way more obsessed with Duke's program than Duke fans are about UNC's.
Sure. Whatever floats your boat. Loser (Duke, not you).

Villanova gutted us. This doesn't. Not even close. This would have just been the cherry. Still amazing even without it.
Making a title run after being gutted makes that gutting worth it imo. It would be like if K returned to beat Carolina and take a ‘ship next year. Damn near a fairy tale, I know. But 2017 was real.

I'm not over that. And I'm not over the 1998 loss to UK.

We had some absolutely gut-wrenching losses between 1998-2004. All years where we had either Battier or Duhon on the team.

98- Kentucky: conceding a 17-point lead with under 10 minutes left
99- One of the 10 greatest teams in college basketball history - possibly top 5. We still had a chance to win it in the final seconds. For some reason, Elton Brand wasn't getting touches in the final minutes
00- This one wasn't as bad as the previous two. But, Boozer only played 5 minutes in the 2nd half due to foul trouble (Christensen played more minutes than Booz), Dunleavy was still recovering from mono, and we were really only 6 deep.
01- Only year where Battier and Duhon played together. Finally won!
02- I don't know what happened here. 6 point lead with 3 minute left or so. Offense stalled. IU made timely baskets. Thought Duhon picked Moye's pocket with about 20 seconds left. Also thought Boozer got fouled on the rebound that could have potentially given Duke the win.
03- Loss to Kansas wasn't too bad. Close loss. But, thought we were more deserving of a 2 seed.
04- 8 point lead with under 4 minutes left. All 3 of our bigs fouled out. Okafor took over, and we lose by 1.

And I would gladly take three 20-point losses to UNC in favor of a national title.

The Georgetown loss in 2007 was probably the worse for me. The Kansas loss when I thought we would roll if Marshall was healthy was probably second. Then Nova.

The Georgetown loss in 2007 was probably the worse for me. The Kansas loss when I thought we would roll if Marshall was healthy was probably second. Then Nova.

The Villanova loss isn't in your top 2?

giphy.gif

BC in 1994 was rough. Thought we could go back to back. But nothing tops Nova, unless you feel '17 lessens it somehow.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
The narrative that UNC fans are suffering over the loss in the title game is erroneous. I think UNC fans were just happy for their turn around season. They were thinking their coach hire was a mistake and now they are happy to have him. That is a feel good thing, not a bad thing. They kicked the crap of one of their most hated rivals that had been a pain in their side. That is something that will be remembered.

It was a great year for UNC fans.

Nope. Always can get the 7th later. Can't utterly destroy Ks victory parade and retire him in a final four any other time.
U guys already won your super bowl. Incredible way to go out as a Unc fan this year

The narrative that UNC fans are suffering over the loss in the title game is erroneous. I think UNC fans were just happy for their turn around season. They were thinking their coach hire was a mistake and now they are happy to have him. That is a feel good thing, not a bad thing. They kicked the crap of one of their most hated rivals that had been a pain in their side. That is something that will be remembered.

They’re not at all. They’re still happy as hell

Reactions: della
If he does come back it'll be for revenge. He's played UNC a 100 times, he's 50-50, losing the last 4-5 games. He needs to sit his ass down and enjoy retirement.
I know, I was just kidding. K’s played the game long enough that I’m certain he didn’t “expect” a title this year. This is BS I believe, but if there’s any truth whatsoever to it, it’s a result of the way he went out.

Reactions: AWilli6995

Who created this narrative? unc fans should absolutely be happy about their season. It's not about that. It's about what they value more. Most people would value championships over simple victories. Even in the circumstances like this year's.

Who created this narrative? unc fans should absolutely be happy about their season. It's not about that. It's about what they value more. Most people would value championships over simple victories. Even in the circumstances like this year's.
Yeah, but not all victories over rivals are the same. Beating a legendary rival coach on his last home game and then again in the tourney are priceless. You can only have one shot at that, you have the opportunity to win a title every year.

Reactions: cdbearde
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT