ADVERTISEMENT

Would an NBA Junior League destroy college basketball?

bkingUK

Sep 23, 2007
Barrack Obama proposed this as a way to cleanup corruption in NCAA basketball. If we are talking about a whole league with say, 8 teams with 12 roster spots, limited to players under 21 then there would be 84 players to fill those teams annually.

If it happened...does that destroy college basketball? Would you be excited about college basketball if the best players in 5 years were considerably less talented than today's players?

I would just start following that league as well. Extra basketball is a good thing.

Reactions: KisteK
Would only "destroy" things for the 6-8 teams that get all the one-and-done talent. Teams that build their programs with 3-5 year players would be fine and wouldn't really see a difference... So for about 300 teams, no problem.

Reactions: yiana
Would only "destroy" things for the 6-8 teams that get all the one-and-done talent. Teams that build their programs with 3-5 year players would be fine and wouldn't really see a difference... So for about 300 teams, no problem.

I don't know about that. The power programs would still probably be the power programs. But to me, if you're asking what's best as a spectator, it's to have the best players possible playing college basketball. If we could get 5 star all-americans to stay 4 years, I'd take that in a second over less talented players.

Reactions: klize17
We have a junior league already. It's called the g league. College and nba will always be top dog.

No. Why would it? If I went to Duke and love Duke and watch Duke games, it is about the Duke. If everyone was getting less talented players, it wouldn't make the game less interesting or gripping or intense. Okay, maybe guys across the league would shoot 5 percent lower. Wouldn't make a difference.

Kind of a hilarious suggestion. Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas were blue bloods long before the one and done era. They’ll be just fine long after.

Would make the quality of the game worse, but I would still watch. UK would still be one of the best teams year in and year out.

Reactions: CB3UK
You guys are way too sensitive. I never said a thing about your programs no longer being dominant. I purposely wrote "destroy" with regards to the one and done talent y'all currently use to win National Championships. I said that the programs that don't recruit one and done talent won't notice a difference, not that you guys won't recruit the best remaining talent, or won't field elite teams with the remaining talent.

The best programs will still be the best programs, there will simply be a narrower advantage in talent gap given that the talent disparity beyond the top 20'ish recruits in the class, and their peers, is much less.

Wouldn't change the game at all. College Basketball is awesome, plenty of dominant 4 year players---actually lends itself to smarter basketball and less praising of 19 and 20 yr old freshman that somehow went to 9 years of high school.

Reactions: pisgah101 and CB3UK
Barrack Obama proposed this as a way to cleanup corruption in NCAA basketball. If we are talking about a whole league with say, 8 teams with 12 roster spots, limited to players under 21 then there would be 84 players to fill those teams annually.

If it happened...does that destroy college basketball? Would you be excited about college basketball if the best players in 5 years were considerably less talented than today's players?

It wouldnt. People overestimate how many people actually watch college sports, because of the talent on display. The ratings/attendance are about the name on the front of the jersey for the fan, and office pools/gambling for the average sports fan that dont have an allegiance to a school. There is also the element of the media hyping a certain standout player for a marquee game, but they would still find someone to hype up without the OADs so that dropoff is minimal if at all.

Depends what you want college ball to be. College rosters will simply be older, like they used to be. Power teams will regain some of the consistent excellence they had before losing 3+ players early each year became the norm.

College ball will lose marketable star power, to an extent, but I think the product on the floor would be much improved.

Reactions: CB3UK
Barrack Obama proposed this as a way to cleanup corruption

Sorry, I laughed.

Fire Emmert and replace him with Eric Holder?

But no, I don’t think that would work. That would spread the market too thin. Hoop nerds would like it, but general public isn’t going to follow three major hoop leagues enough to generate enough revenue. Most people have enough trouble keeping up with CBB and the NBA at the same time.

Depends what you want college ball to be. College rosters will simply be older, like they used to be. Power teams will regain some of the consistent excellence they had before losing 3+ players early each year became the norm.

College ball will lose marketable star power, to an extent, but I think the product on the floor would be much improved.

Yes, the years like this where Kentucky is "down" or like that one time they played in the NIT will be rare. However, the years of them potentially running the table will be even more rare. I think you will see overall more parity, but less volatility from the top programs.

Reactions: brooky03
I think there is an opportunity for Universities or maybe university towns to affiliate with a "minor" league way down the road when the NCAA finally collapses because of the guise of amateurism. I could see Louisville adopting a pro junior team called the Cardinals or something like that in a decade or two. What everyone is saying about people cheering for the front of the jersey and not the back is true, though. I grew up in Indiana, went to Indiana University, and cheer for Indiana University basketball.

Logically, I understand that me cheering for a bunch of college kids from all over the country who happen to play basketball where I went to class and becoming emotionally attached doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Not that it makes sense that spent $2000 to fly to Chicago and watch the Cubs in the World Series, and then shed tears when they won either.

As a fan of sports, and in particular basketball, I think people would find a team to cheer for if "amateur" university sponsored teams ceased to exist. There's history and tradition there right now, but some of that could be applied to a parallel, but professional, model similar to European team sports.

I think there is an opportunity for Universities or maybe university towns to affiliate with a "minor" league way down the road when the NCAA finally collapses because of the guise of amateurism. I could see Louisville adopting a pro junior team called the Cardinals or something like that in a decade or two. What everyone is saying about people cheering for the front of the jersey and not the back is true, though. I grew up in Indiana, went to Indiana University, and cheer for Indiana University basketball.

Logically, I understand that me cheering for a bunch of college kids from all over the country who happen to play basketball where I went to class and becoming emotionally attached doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Not that it makes sense that spent $2000 to fly to Chicago and watch the Cubs in the World Series, and then shed tears when they won either.

As a fan of sports, and in particular basketball, I think people would find a team to cheer for if "amateur" university sponsored teams ceased to exist. There's history and tradition there right now, but some of that could be applied to a parallel, but professional, model similar to European team sports.

No see this shit is exactly what I fear. If college basketball were to collapse and it ends in another god damned minor league team in Louisville I'm done watching basketball. If it involved relegation / promotion it'd be amazing though

I have an idea, dont allow shoe companies to have total access to fund and sponsor AAU teams.

Let the kids go to the pros if they think they're ready. No more one and done.

But if you don't think teams will still pay for lesser players just to win, your just lying to yourself. Cheaters will always cheat.

It's not just basketball, my 16 yo cousin travels everwhere for baseball. They essentially get paid to attend these tourneys. Sponsored events.

No see this shit is exactly what I fear. If college basketball were to collapse and it ends in another god damned minor league team in Louisville I'm done watching basketball. If it involved relegation / promotion it'd be amazing though
Fine, then Lexington. You can have the Legends and Wildcats as minor league professional teams. I also would favor the relegation model if it ever came to a collapse of major NCAA sports.

I dont think University sports would ever cease to exist or evolve into what you laid out, IMO a major shift down the road would be something involving athletes being able to profit off of their own likeness, if the NCAA never wakes up and does this then maybe we see the P5 football schools break off from the NCAA and form their own rulebook. The NCAA in an effort to preserve the cash cow allows an exemption for the "money" schools to play in the NCAAT along with being able to compete against non money schools in other sports in postseason play to make it title 9 friendly.

I dont think University sports would ever cease to exist or evolve into what you laid out, IMO a major shift down the road would be something involving athletes being able to profit off of their own likeness, if the NCAA never wakes up and does this then maybe we see the P5 football schools break off from the NCAA and form their own rulebook. The NCAA in an effort to preserve the cash cow allows an exemption for the "money" schools to play in the NCAAT along with being able to compete against non money schools in other sports in postseason play to make it title 9 friendly.
That's why I said "amateur" university sponsored teams. I could also see the P5 football schools break off to form their own league.

Here is the solution. You ready? Get rid of the OAD. Let kids go pro if they wish. That is the fix. No minor leagues needed. Just let the kids have that option. And leave the door open for them to go to school, IF NOT drafted. If they come to school, allow them to leave whenever. Year one, two, three---whatever it may be.

It really is that easy.

No. Why would it? If I went to Duke and love Duke and watch Duke games, it is about the Duke. If everyone was getting less talented players, it wouldn't make the game less interesting or gripping or intense. Okay, maybe guys across the league would shoot 5 percent lower. Wouldn't make a difference.

Look, a WNBA fan! Much fundamentals, so success!

Here is the solution. You ready? Get rid of the OAD. Let kids go pro if they wish. That is the fix. No minor leagues needed. Just let the kids have that option. And leave the door open for them to go to school, IF NOT drafted. If they come to school, allow them to leave whenever. Year one, two, three---whatever it may be.

It really is that easy.

It's not the NCAA stopping kids from going pro out of high school, it's the NBA.

college BB has/had survived for decades before the rage and hype turned to the 1 n done players, let them go pro if they want. the college game will remain and the college team fans will still remain.

college BB was never meant to be a farm league for NBA Teams. Kansas, Duke and Kentucky will still be blue bloods and will get the new top Tier recruits.

besides there are only 64 draft picks each year and only the 1st round draft picks are guaranteed to sign a contract, the 2nd round draft pick has to hope he can make a roster to even hope to get a paycheck.

BTW--who would go watch the NBA junior league? It would be full to the brim with brannen greenes, daniel ortons, chris walkers, and rest of the idiots who think they are way better than they are. College basketball is a dream for 99.9% of players and should consider themselves lucky to play on some of the most storied courts in history. They don't need paid-98% will never make a dime in pro basketball and are not good enough to. Game tickets need to be cheaper, venues don't need to be space stations, you don't need entertainment while watching hoops. Teams don't need 15 different versions of jerseys. Maybe if we went back to basketball basics and just enjoyed the game it would eliminate problems. Take more money out of the game.

Reactions: HawksJ

You think that Duke, Kentucky ... ?? Arizona would be "destroyed"?
thats-not-how-any-of-this-works-gif-1.gif

Reactions: bkingUK
Was wondering why that post smelt funny.

Shat got roasted.

I was thinking along those lines myself.

College basketball is a dream for 99.9% of players and should consider themselves lucky to play on some of the most storied courts in history. They don't need paid-98% will never make a dime in pro basketball and are not good enough to.

This is false, there is a very big market for pro basketball in just about every country. From my high school alone there are 3 guys playing professionally overseas into their late 20s and only one of those 3 played D1 for powerhouse Tennessee Chattanooga as a JUCO transfer. Pretty much every noteworthy WVU player in the past 10 years is still playing pro ball somewhere.

This is false, there is a very big market for pro basketball in just about every country. From my high school alone there are 3 guys playing professionally overseas into their late 20s and only one of those 3 played D1 for powerhouse Tennessee Chattanooga as a JUCO transfer. Pretty much every noteworthy WVU player in the past 10 years is still playing pro ball somewhere.
You are right----its probably closer to 97%.

That's a legit question and it's also probably why it won't happen.
You aren’t losing the core NBA and NCAA fans to it. I mean some may pay attention but nobody is gonna travel to watch them play. There would be some small attendance at the games that rival those crowds at D-League games. No network is gonna put it on tv. The players who elected to participate in the league would have to be ok with being virtually unheard of until the draft.

I feel like if the NFL expanded their rosters to 106 and had a JV league with kids who didn’t want to play in college people would watch.

You aren’t losing the core NBA and NCAA fans to it. I mean some may pay attention but nobody is gonna travel to watch them play. There would be some small attendance at the games that rival those crowds at D-League games. No network is gonna put it on tv. The players who elected to participate in the league would have to be ok with being virtually unheard of until the draft.

Probably true. Only way that could change is if players not eligible for NBA could make NBA money with development contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT