ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup...

GOAL!!!!!! Christian Pulisic!

He took a pretty big collusion. Hope he's not concussed. US is now defending with 10 guys.

Did they do a VAR review on the goal where Weah was ruled offsides? That looks about even to me. Guess it depends on when they decide the ball left the foot.

Iran just whiffed on a very makeable strike within the box. A second goal would be really, really nice.

Zimmerman redeems himself! Matt Turner got five-holed, the ball was rolling towards the goal and Zimmerman clears it in time. That was an anxious moment!

america-hurricane.gif

Here's a funny/interesting World Cup soccer stat. # of times reached the Round of 16 this century:

USA - 4
Italy - 2

Reactions: asindc
2 goals in 3 games to advance is impressive.... lol. I don't like their chances against the Netherlands (especially if Pulisic can't go), but at least they get to play the game.

Sports hating is lame. I'll cheer for the USA in anything. ;)
I don't have to like a sport to cheer for a team. I hope Indiana wins their 9th title this year---Doesn't mean I'm gonna watch..

Same with the US----Bring that shit home, boys!!!----But I ain't gonna watch.

I don't have to like a sport to cheer for a team. I hope Indiana wins their 9th title this year---Doesn't mean I'm gonna watch..

Same with the US----Bring that shit home, boys!!!----But I ain't gonna watch.
That's fair, I just don't like when people seem to get annoyed because OTHER people are really into it. Like, I don't know anything about racing and NEVER really watch, but I have zero problem with the Indy 500 remaining a huge event ... in fact, I hope it does and I think it's good for sports in general if it does! Same with other things I just don't really care about like the NBA Finals or whatever, I still like that they're a "big deal."

If the standings in Group C & D hold to form, which they probably won't, then our path to the semifinals actually looks quite manageable.

Netherlands
USA

Poland
Australia

Obviously the Netherlands will be a tough opponent, and we wouldn't be favored, but it's not the same Dutch team that had van Persie-Robben-Sneijder. Those guys would pummel the US. This Netherlands team is good, but beatable. I think we might be favored to beat either Poland or Australia.

Argentina will have to beat Poland tomorrow to win the group. So, I'll probably root for Poland to at least tie.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
2 goals in 3 games to advance is impressive.... lol. I don't like their chances against the Netherlands (especially if Pulisic can't go), but at least they get to play the game.

Only conceded 1 goal in the group stage, and that was on a penalty kick.

That's fair, I just don't like when people seem to get annoyed because OTHER people are really into it. Like, I don't know anything about racing and NEVER really watch, but I have zero problem with the Indy 500 remaining a huge event ... in fact, I hope it does and I think it's good for sports in general if it does! Same with other things I just don't really care about like the NBA Finals or whatever, I still like that they're a "big deal."
Fair as well. Was a bit "out of line" on my part....

Go, 'Merica'!!!!

I still hate soccer.. 😁

Love soccer. We’ve never had a team as collectively talented as the one we have now. I still think Berhalter is holding them back. First half they weren’t playing “Berhalter Ball” and looked good. Second half subs and adjustments were shit and we almost paid for it. Our guys are young and 2026 could be a lot of fun with the right manager.

Hoping that we can win Saturday despite him.

I didn't even watch it so no clue what it is. Just thought it looked like something absurd about America.

Love soccer. We’ve never had a team as collectively talented as the one we have now. I still think Berhalter is holding them back. First half they weren’t playing “Berhalter Ball” and looked good. Second half subs and adjustments were shit and we almost paid for it. Our guys are young and 2026 could be a lot of fun with the right manager.

Hoping that we can win Saturday despite him.

Everyone on Twitter wants to know where Gio Reyna is. Seems like a fair point. Haven't seen him play much so I can't definitively say whether he merits the minutes, but the kid plays for freaking Borussia Dortmund... and we have MLS guys getting in before him.

Everyone on Twitter wants to know where Gio Reyna is. Seems like a fair point. Haven't seen him play much so I can't definitively say whether he merits the minutes, but the kid plays for freaking Borussia Dortmund... and we have MLS guys getting in before him.
He does. He won’t give you a full 90 right now because he’s still coming back to form after some injuries, but he still should see the field every game as a 60 minute sub-in. Don’t know what he did to tick Berhalter off but it doesn’t make sense to not play him based on his talent, particularly versus the other options he is using instead. He may have the highest ceiling of anyone we have. If not the highest, then one of the highest.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Australia has advanced to the Round of 16 for just the second time.

If Japan or Saudi Arabia advances, we'll have all 6 continents represented in the knockout round for the first time ever.

If the standings in Group C & D hold to form, which they probably won't, then our path to the semifinals actually looks quite manageable.

Netherlands
USA

Poland
Australia

Welp, Poland was clearly no match for Argentina. They got bamboozled. 23-4 on shots, and 12-0 on shots on target. So, if we do get past the Netherlands, which certainly won't be easy, we'd likely have a very talented Argentine team in the quarters. I'd be content with a single victory in the knockout rounds.

Argentina vs. Portugal in the finals would be kind of a fun matchup. Give Messi and Ronaldo one last hurrah on the international stage. My three favorites would still be France, Spain, and Brazil. Probably in that order.

Glad we are able to play another game in this WC, I had very little expectation before the tournament but it seems we may have a chance to go even further. Netherlands are definitely the better team, but the way they're playing, I wont be surprised if we beat them. The quarter-finals are the ceiling though, unless Australia pulls off the impossible.

I didn’t realize we still have so many groups to finish.

Almost done with the group stage, though. 4 games today and 4 games tomorrow. Knockout round begins on Saturday.

Morocco is up 2-0 on Canada, which means they'll likely win the group. Very surprising, considering Croatia and Belgium, the Runners-Up and 3rd-place finisher from the previous World Cup, are also in the group. Belgium will need to defeat Croatia to advance.

Spain and Germany were both up 1-0 at half. Looked like a predictable Spain/Germany 1-2 finish in the group.

But... Japan ain't having any of that. Japan could win the group. They're now up 2-1.

Honestly, it'd be more beneficial to go the other side of the bracket. If Spain wins the group, they're looking at Croatia and then probably Brazil. If you get 2nd? You get Morocco and likely Portugal. 2nd place would actually make a run to the semifinals more probable, IMO.

Costa Rica just scored. Whoa!

If they somehow beat Germany, you'd have Japan and Costa Rica advancing - and Spain and Germany would be eliminated. The tension!

Costa Rica briefly went up 2-1. If that result stood, Spain and Germany would have both been out. Germany scored just 3 minutes. And they won 4-2 lol.

Japan did hang on for the win, though. And now we'll see a team from each of the 6 continents in the Round of 16. Pretty cool. Belgium and Germany were both eliminated today.

4 more games tomorrow. Brazil and Portugal have a higher margin for error; both should win their groups. I think Switzerland takes 2nd in Group G (Brazil's group), and 2nd place in Group H (Portugal's group) should be between Uruguay and Ghana. Uruguay will need a win to advance, so I'll lean towards saying Ghana. That would make the Round of 16 look like this...

Netherlands
USA

Argentina
Australia

Japan
Croatia

Brazil
Ghana (maybe Uruguay)

England
Senegal

France
Poland

Morocco
Spain

Portugal
Switzerland

The difference between winning your group - and being knocked out. Millimeters. If that goal isn't allowed, Spain wins the group, Germany takes second, and Japan goes home. Crazy.

If you look at my projected bracket, and rank the teams according to the highest ranked FIFA teams left, this is what those seeds would look like:

6 Netherlands
10 USA

2 Argentina
15 Australia

13 Japan
8 Croatia

1 Brazil
16 Ghana (maybe Uruguay)

4 England
11 Senegal

3 France
14 Poland

12 Morocco
5 Spain

7 Portugal
9 Switzerland

Interesting how Brazil, Argentina, and France would be paired with the corresponding lowest ranked teams left... And Spain and Morocco have that 5-12 matchup, except Morocco came in as the group winner, and Spain as the runner-up in their group.

The US-Netherlands matchup, then, would be more like a 6-11 or 7-10 game. Netherlands, for sure, is the favorite. But, it wouldn't be completely shocking if we were able to pull of the upset.

Portugal/Switzerland is kind of like an 8/9 matchup, albeit the winner wouldn't have Brazil or Argentina waiting in the quarterfinals. The winner of that game has a great shot at the semifinals.

South Korea scores a goal in extra time and defeats Portugal... and Uruguay is ousted from the tournament. Wow!

Luis Suarez, in a moment of shock and disbelief.

• Love
Uruguay got completely fvcked. Up 2-0 and they had a player taken down in the box in an obvious penalty. German ref went to the monitor and said no penalty. Ended up costing them the tournament.

After the game several players went after the ref.

Easily the worst call or non call I've seen in this Cup and the worst I've seen since they started using replay for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT