ADVERTISEMENT

WOAT Coaches To Win a Championship

Ollie has to be unchallenged on this, right?
He has to be up there. The UCONN offense is just painful to watch. Everyone standing around with no ball movement, dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble, and then terrible shot. Makes my eyes bleed.

I can't think of one that's worse. At least not in my lifetime (only 34 years, but still).

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Fvcking Calipari letting this ****** win a ring.

<-still hates Ollie and uconn. Oh and of course Higgins did that game as well with some excellent officiating.

Jud heathcoat- won with magic and never came close again

Wait for it..... tubby

Boeheim-lucked into one with Carmelo after 62 years of coaching

Last edited:
Tubby isnt a great coach by any means, but he certainly doesnt deserve to be mentioned up there with Ollie. Tubbys solid, if unspectacular. Ollie is trashy, if not flashy.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
id say steve fisher has to be on the moutn rushmore of bad coaches with a ring. he had the fab five and couldn't finish the deal. But i think Ollie has to be the clubhouse leader at this point.

Reactions: denniden
<-still hates Ollie and uconn. Oh and of course Higgins did that game as well with some excellent officiating.

Jud heathcoat- won with magic and never came close again

Wait for it..... tubby

Boeheim-lucked into one with Carmelo after 62 years of coaching
You do realize you just named two HOF coaches(Jud and Boeheim), as worst coaches of all-time to win a title, right?

Plus, Boeheim is a last second shot away from having two titles. And really pushed that 96 UK team in the title game.

Tubby? He's won 583 games(67%). Taken three different schools to the SW 16.

Not sure these guys belong with Ollie.

My pick;

Steve Fisher

WWW should also be then, he made Cal. Winking
And Denny Crum

From the NYT:
"Wesley also became close to the Louisville basketball program. He is as much a part of the Cardinals’ famed Camden Connection as Milt Wagner and Thompson, two close friends.

When Louisville made the 1986 Final Four in Dallas, Wesley and Vespe, who was still in high school, celebrated the Cardinals’ title on the floor. Vespe even ended up behind Coach Denny Crum in a Sports Illustrated picture. “Everyone knew Wes, because he was with us,” Thompson said. “He was part of the team, man.”

id say steve fisher has to be on the moutn rushmore of bad coaches with a ring. he had the fab five and couldn't finish the deal. But i think Ollie has to be the clubhouse leader at this point.
Went With with Fisher myself.

And Denny Crum

From the NYT:
"Wesley also became close to the Louisville basketball program. He is as much a part of the Cardinals’ famed Camden Connection as Milt Wagner and Thompson, two close friends.

When Louisville made the 1986 Final Four in Dallas, Wesley and Vespe, who was still in high school, celebrated the Cardinals’ title on the floor. Vespe even ended up behind Coach Denny Crum in a Sports Illustrated picture. “Everyone knew Wes, because he was with us,” Thompson said. “He was part of the team, man.”
He wasn’t an agent then, he was a high school kid. Good grief you’re reaching

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
I heart Steve Fisher.

If it's not K.O., my vote would be Tubbs.
I feel like he was gifted UK, and that late 90s title. He coasted off Pitinos rebuild. Kept it running like a well - oiled machine.

Just not impressed.

... and maybe a bit salty about his gifted 2016 Big XII Coach of the Year. Whatever

It’s a 3 way tie, Fisher/Tubby/Ollie.

Arguments can be made for any of those 3 to be labeled WOAT to win a title.

Jud didn’t win again because he literally refused to cheat. Itpissed our fan base off because in the 80’s literally everyone cheated.

Harold Foster is the only coach with a title who has a losing record. His teams also finished the season in the bottom half of the conference 14 out of his 25 years there. He’s also in the NCAA basketball HOF though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_E._Foster
Some people get into the HOF for more than just their coaching. Pretty sure this is the case with Foster. He was a standout player.....Served as president of the NABC, and was a memebr of the rules committee for 11 years. I'd say that, coupled with the fact he won a title, is why he's in the HOF.

Some people get into the HOF for more than just their coaching. Pretty sure this is the case with Foster. He was a standout player.....Served as president of the NABC, and was a memebr of the rules committee for 11 years. I'd say that, coupled with the fact he won a title, is why he's in the HOF.
Yeah his resume outside of coaching was pretty solid. Another small town Kansas CBB guy. There’s a lot more of those than most people would think.

Yeah his resume outside of coaching was pretty solid. Another small town Kansas CBB guy. There’s a lot more of those than most people would think.
Very true,. A long time friend of mine is in the Indiana High School baseball HOF. He umpired for 39 years. And worked ONE Indiana State final game. ONE. But he was a pioneer to a ton of rule changes, safety changes, etc, etc...Don't get me wrong. He was a good, well informed umpire. But he didn't get into the HOF b/c of that.

I feel like this particular topic has never crossed anybody’s mind
Why would it cross anybody’s mind outside of hardcore CBB fans? Seems like most people who call themselves sports fans don’t even know that Rupp and Dean played at KU.

Harold Foster is the only coach with a title who has a losing record. His teams also finished the season in the bottom half of the conference 14 out of his 25 years there. He’s also in the NCAA basketball HOF though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_E._Foster
whats crazy is foster and rupp grew up roughly 10 miles from each other (one in Newton and the other in Halstead)....I live 10 miles from both towns and there is nothing out her in central Kansas. Crazy to think two hall of famers are from this area. Rupp was also 5 years older so pretty sure they never crossed paths while here.

You do realize you just named two HOF coaches(Jud and Boeheim), as worst coaches of all-time to win a title, right?

Plus, Boeheim is a last second shot away from having two titles. And really pushed that 96 UK team in the title game.

Tubby? He's won 583 games(67%). Taken three different schools to the SW 16.

Not sure these guys belong with Ollie.

My pick;

Steve Fisher
One had a child molester the other had magic Johnson.

ADVERTISEMENT