ADVERTISEMENT

With K retiring, I have a feeling Duke will become the next UCLA/IU

thebasketballreasons

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2013
Yeah its a heartbreaking loss for Duke, but the worse part is that there wont be Coach K at the sideline anymore. Unlike Kentucky, UNC and Kansas, Duke's entire history is about Coach K. They were irrelevant before Coach K, and likely will be irrelevant again after him. Just like John Wooden's UCLA and Bob Knight's IU, these programs gradually descended into mediocrity following the retirement of their legendary coaches. UCLA did have a few good years after Wooden, but they were never consistently good anymore, while IU isnt even considered a blue blood nowadays. With Coach K gone, Duke's future is at best UCLA, at worst IU. Its the end of an era, Duke will be in UNC's shadow for the next 1-2 decades.

Yeah its a heartbreaking loss for Duke, but the worse part is that there wont be Coach K at the sideline anymore. Unlike Kentucky, UNC and Kansas, Duke's entire history is about Coach K. They were irrelevant before Coach K, and likely will be irrelevant again after him. Just like John Wooden's UCLA and Bob Knight's IU, these programs gradually descended into mediocrity following the retirement of their legendary coaches. UCLA did have a few good years after Wooden, but they were never consistently good anymore, while IU isnt even considered a blue blood nowadays. With Coach K gone, Duke's future is at best UCLA, at worst IU. Its the end of an era, Duke will be in UNC's shadow for the next 1-2 decades.

well that and UNC just tore out their heart and stomped on it

tumblr_mzg1ynul7E1s36aafo1_500.gif

It depends. Their recruiting is still ridiculous. If Scheyer can just manage that talent and coach a little they will be fine.

Disagree. While Duke had not won any national titles prior to K they were already one of the winningest programs before he took over. I also have a bad feeling that Scheyer will be a solid replacement. If his coaching can even come halfway close to matching his recruiting Duke will be just fine.

Reactions: bignish
Yeah its a heartbreaking loss for Duke, but the worse part is that there wont be Coach K at the sideline anymore. Unlike Kentucky, UNC and Kansas, Duke's entire history is about Coach K. They were irrelevant before Coach K, and likely will be irrelevant again after him.
Thye had over 1,000 wins before K arrived in 1980-----were two years removed from a national runner-up as well(1978). They had 4 Final Fours, played in two National title games...Won 10 ACC titles...

They were far from irrelevant....Especially in an era that making the NCAAT required you winning your conference(1974).

Disagree. While Duke had not won any national titles prior to K they were already one of the winningest programs before he took over. I also have a bad feeling that Scheyer will be a solid replacement. If his coaching can even come halfway close to matching his recruiting Duke will be just fine.
We will see then. People thought Hubert Davis would be a terrible replacement for Roy Williams, and he turned out to be an excellent coach. Now people think Scheyer will be a solid replacement for Coach K, and he may turn out to be the opposite.

Reactions: UNC71-00
We will see then. People thought Hubert Davis would be a terrible replacement for Roy Williams, and he turned out to be an excellent coach. Now people think Scheyer will be a solid replacement for Coach K, and he may turn out to be the opposite.
We have no idea yet if Hubert will be an excellent coach and one nice tournament run doesn't prove anything. We'll know more about him in the coming years after he has had time to assemble a few teams completely on his own and isn't playing with holdovers from the Williams era.

Kevin Ollie excellent?
I actually feel that hes underappreciated. It was a terrible move for UConn to leave Big East and transferred into AAC, the program was going downhill and recruiting took a serious blow. Kevin Ollie had left UConn since 2018, and they aint getting much better anyway.

I actually feel that hes underappreciated. It was a terrible move for UConn to leave Big East and transferred into AAC, the program was going downhill and recruiting took a serious blow. Kevin Ollie had left UConn since 2018, and they aint getting much better anyway.
Ollie is underappreciated?

And BTW, they won the NCAAT while a member of the AAC. A conference then, that was, well, pretty darn good. Included Top 10-20 teams Houston, Cincy, Wichita State, SMU.....Its not like they moved to the OVC...

Coach wins a title in his second season-----then goes to the NCAAT one more time. Misses the NCAAT 3 times...And he's underappreciated?

Sure.

Ollie is underappreciated?

And BTW, they won the NCAAT while a member of the AAC. A conference then, that was, well, pretty darn good. Included Top 10-20 teams Houston, Cincy, Wichita State, SMU.....Its not like they moved to the OVC...

Coach wins a title in his second season-----then goes to the NCAAT one more time. Misses the NCAAT 3 times...And he's underappreciated?

Sure.
Ollie is a good coach, hes just terrible at recruiting and this was his downfall. AAC is better than your average mid major, but nowhere near comparable to the top conferences. So its a combination of Ollie not being a good recruiter, and UConn no longer being seriously considered by 5 star recruits being in AAC.

For Hubert Davis, hes also proved that he can coach, and his future success will largely depend on if hes at least a competent recruiter. No need to be at John Calipari level, but need to be a lot better than Kevin Ollie.

Ollie is a good coach, hes just terrible at recruiting and this was his downfall. AAC is better than your average mid major, but nowhere near comparable to the top conferences. So its a combination of Ollie not being a good recruiter, and UConn no longer being seriously considered by 5 star recruits being in AAC.

For Hubert Davis, hes also proved that he can coach, and his future success will largely depend on if hes at least a competent recruiter. No need to be at John Calipari level, but need to be a lot better than Kevin Ollie.
Seems Houston, Wichita St, SMU, Cincy, Temple, etc, etc....done just fine w/o a bunch of 5* recruits...

Maybe we will see how good Ollie is when his show cause ends this July...

3 of the top 5 recruits coming in. How will we ever recover?
But that’s gonna change if they stop winning games for the next 2-3 years. We do not know if Scheyer can handle the pressure being coach K’s successor, or if he can coach at all. Duke next year will be mostly freshmen, and we have seen what happened to Cal’s 2013-2014 UK team. Yeah they made the title game, but the regular season was a disaster and the narrative would have been very different if they lost to Wichita State in the 2nd round.

But that’s gonna change if they stop winning games for the next 2-3 years. We do not know if Scheyer can handle the pressure being coach K’s successor, or if he can coach at all. Duke next year will be mostly freshmen, and we have seen what happened to Cal’s 2013-2014 UK team. Yeah they made the title game, but the regular season was a disaster and the narrative would have been very different if they lost to Wichita State in the 2nd round.
I have a feeling Scheyer will make a splash in the transfer portal too.

Scheyer has always being known as a really good recruiter. And we obviously have the brand. Doesn't mean he'll necessarily when games, but I don't see recruiting slowing down anytime soon.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Seems Houston, Wichita St, SMU, Cincy, Temple, etc, etc....done just fine w/o a bunch of 5* recruits...

Maybe we will see how good Ollie is when his show cause ends this July...
Louisville was there as wel their title year. Smh we beat em 3 tines that year by like 20 a pop.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

such a weird take.. what happened to UCLA and Indiana have literally nothing to do with what will happen to Duke.. if Jon can’t coach we’ll get another coach.. it’s not a one shot deal. Duke is the standard of college basketball, like it or not and it’s not going to just go into the night without a fight

Reactions: bignish
I have no idea if Scheyer will be good, none of us really do. However, recruiting is as good as it’s ever been. I’m not expecting Duke to fall off the map

We have no idea yet if Hubert will be an excellent coach and one nice tournament run doesn't prove anything. We'll know more about him in the coming years after he has had time to assemble a few teams completely on his own and isn't playing with holdovers from the Williams era.
Very tubby smith-esque vibes except he was handed more talent

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
such a weird take.. what happened to UCLA and Indiana have literally nothing to do with what will happen to Duke.. if Jon can’t coach we’ll get another coach.. it’s not a one shot deal. Duke is the standard of college basketball, like it or not and it’s not going to just go into the night without a fight
Problem with Indiana was a string of bad hires, sans Sampson---which coachng wise was a GREAT hire. But......................Also, the powers to be at Indiana saw the power a head basketball coach at Indiana, could have, and for the most part, have tried to avoid such...I guess. THough Dolson seems to be outside of that mold; I think he gets how important basketball is to this state. Indiana's issues with hires is what has separated them from the likes of UK, UNC and Kansas. Those schools didn't hesitate to make a change, when change was needed, and $$$ was not the issue. Hubert has been great, and this team has developed quite nicely under him, OR-----it could also be a situation where his two guards have just turned super human??

UCLA expectations are, well, just insane. And IMO has led them to making some bad decisions, i.e. alas, Indiana.

I think Indiana got it right---but maybe got it right to late. Woodson should have been hired a long time ago. Not to mention, the names IU passed on when hiring Crean, and even KS.

Mick seems to be a good fit at UCLA....

Time will tell with Hubert. A great run no doubt----but this team has a 2014, Napier/Boatwright feel to it---A team who's guards just turned into superhuman dudes....

I actually think JS is going to be just fine. He'snot some 2 year assistant. Or a guy who's been at another school. He's been with the program for 9 years.....And has been the associate HC since 2018. In other words, he has been "groomed" for the past 4 years for this job. Current players know him...he knows them....incoming recruits know him, and he knows them. Its not like he's coming in blind.

Problem with Indiana was a string of bad hires, sans Sampson---which coachng wise was a GREAT hire. But......................Also, the powers to be at Indiana saw the power a head basketball coach at Indiana, could have, and for the most part, have tried to avoid such...I guess. THough Dolson seems to be outside of that mold; I think he gets how important basketball is to this state. Indiana's issues with hires is what has separated them from the likes of UK, UNC and Kansas. Those schools didn't hesitate to make a change, when change was needed, and $$$ was not the issue. Hubert has been great, and this team has developed quite nicely under him, OR-----it could also be a situation where his two guards have just turned super human??

UCLA expectations are, well, just insane. And IMO has led them to making some bad decisions, i.e. alas, Indiana.

I think Indiana got it right---but maybe got it right to late. Woodson should have been hired a long time ago. Not to mention, the names IU passed on when hiring Crean, and even KS.

Mick seems to be a good fit at UCLA....

Time will tell with Hubert. A great run no doubt----but this team has a 2014, Napier/Boatwright feel to it---A team who's guards just turned into superhuman dudes....

I actually think JS is going to be just fine. He'snot some 2 year assistant. Or a guy who's been at another school. He's been with the program for 9 years.....And has been the associate HC since 2018. In other words, he has been "groomed" for the past 4 years for this job. Current players know him...he knows them....incoming recruits know him, and he knows them. Its not like he's coming in blind.

Agree 100% with all this. I like Indiana and hope Woodson gets them to where it seems like he’s headed!

This is such an outside the box thought. Clearly this will largely depend on the level of talent that’s coming in. K is the GOAT, but he most certainly wasn’t without flaws when it came to aspects of roster building and development, there are areas with possible outcomes that differ from a dramatic fall off.

Either way, this matters little as I’ll be preoccupied with my Phoenix Suns and Warriors here on out

Clearly this will largely depend on the level of talent that’s coming in.
Except that the level of talent coming in was largely due to Coach K's success and influence, with him stepping down Scheyer will have an uphill road ahead. If Duke suffers another down year like 2020-2021 season, recruiting will take a hit and may never recover. The pressure is immense on Scheyer, he has to succeed immediately. He will not only be compared to the legendary coach K, but also Hubert Davis whos already made it to the national title game in his first year. Anything short of a final 4 appearance next season will be a failure, and this may be way too harsh for a first year head coach.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pisgah101

You have a lot of bad takes on things.

Except that the level of talent coming in was largely due to Coach K's success and influence, with him stepping down Scheyer will have an uphill road ahead. If Duke suffers another down year like 2020-2021 season, recruiting will take a hit and may never recover. The pressure is immense on Scheyer, he has to succeed immediately. He will not only be compared to the legendary coach K, but also Hubert Davis whos already made it to the national title game in his first year. Anything short of a final 4 appearance next season will be a failure, and this may be way too much for a first year head coach.
He has 5 5*'s coming in next year and 3 already for the year after that.

Again, another bad take. Do you even think before you post?

Reactions: pisgah101
He has 5 5*'s coming in next year and 3 already for the year after that.

Again, another bad take. Do you even think before you post?

So what? This isnt sustainable if Duke wont be successful for the next 1-2 years, the talent wont keep coming in. Even Cal and UK have taken a step back on recruiting, largely due to what happened since 2015.

So what? This isnt sustainable if Duke wont be successful for the next 1-2 years, the talent wont keep coming in. Even Cal and UK have taken a step back on recruiting, largely due to what happened since 2015.
I am pretty confident in Jon's ability and with 5*'s coming in for the next few years, I think Duke will be just as good for the next 5 years.

3 of the top 5 recruits coming in. How will we ever recover?
that's true. Last time Duke had 3 of the top 5 recruits it did help them win that nail biter vs UCF in the first round of the tournament.

Well they have the #1, 3, & 5 players in the fold for next year.

I do believe Nolan Smith is about to head to the Louisville staff not sure how big of a role he had with Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT