ADVERTISEMENT

With all the Duke hype, I think it is important to remember "No team is more overrated than Duke..."

Matt Laurer

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2017
In the NCAA Tourney. Factually speaking, this is true. Read all about it here.
imrs.php

The perennial collapse of the Duke University men’s college basketball team in the NCAA tournament is a consistent source of solace to freedom-loving Americans everywhere. Duke is a remarkably hateable program, thanks to its consistent legacy of decent teams and its legacy of hateable players, from Bobby Hurley to Grayson Allen. So when Duke fails to meet expectations in the NCAA tournament, as it usually does, real American patriots in all 50 states spend the next 24 hours celebrating.

With South Carolina’s victory over Duke on Sunday, those patriots are celebrating now.

What made the South Carolina win particularly enjoyable to people with good taste was that they weren’t supposed to win. They were a 7-seed, supposed to lose to the 2-seeded Duke. But the Gamecocks prevailed, fairly easily, upsetting the favored Blue Devils.

That really shouldn’t be a surprise, though. Over the past three decades, no team has suffered more NCAA tournament upsets than Duke.

It’s important to differentiate between real and on-paper upsets. A real upset is something like that South Carolina game, where Duke was five seedings higher than its opponent. An on-paper upset is like what happened to Miami against Michigan State; the latter was a 9-seed to Miami’s 8-seed, meaning that, basically, they were equivalent.

Using data from Sports-Reference.com, we tally 20 upsets of the Duke Blue Devils since the 1985 tournament, including 14 that were against opponents more than one seeding away from them. That’s easily the most total upsets over that period.

A bygone era.

Nowadays, we’ll have to settle for hating on the cat with the waxed eyebrows.

Wait, who is that? K?

BTW, anyone else notice, on that Duke/ESPN show, that K is starting to get gray around the temples?! Natural impact of getting older, or is he simply not dyeing it anymore?

Wait, who is that? K?

BTW, anyone else notice, on that Duke/ESPN show, that K is starting to get gray around the temples?! Natural impact of getting older, or is he simply not dyeing it anymore?

No one can convince me those are his natural eyebrows.

I think it’s gotta be the dye. Idk what kind of dye and product he used to use, but I remember it used to make his hair look 5x as thick as what it probably actually was. Being in his 70s, he probably cares a lot less about that these days though.

Wait, who is that? K?

I noticed the icing as well.

Reactions: TheDude1

No one can convince me those are his natural eyebrows.

I think it’s gotta be the dye. Idk what kind of dye and product he used to use, but I remember it used to make his hair look 5x as thick as what it probably actually was. Being in his 70s, he probably cares a lot less about that these days though.

Oh man... I love AOC, but when I see that photo even *I* want to slap him.

Reactions: Hank_
How many male silverback gorillas riding hyenas would you need to take down Zion Williamson?

ADVERTISEMENT